Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Where to stay in the Alps?
  • Mog
    Free Member

With an early break-up for the kids next summer, we’re planning on entering the Etape du Tour and staying in the area for a couple of weeks to see the Tour go by and take in some mountain air!
    Any recommendations of places to stay (2 adults, 2 kids under 7) in Savoie. Planning on an early morning tunnel crossing and then an overnight stop on the way down – am I missing anything? Never been this far south in France before.

scruff9252

I went to Annecy this year, absolutely beautiful. Think it was around €60-80 in tolls and about 8 hours drive from Dunkirk

jambalaya
    Free Member

I would second Annecy area, in fact suggested that to another STWer doing the same.

If you don’t mind an longish drive you can do that from the tunnel in one day. If you want to stop you could look at somewhere around Dijon, perhaps Chablis. We stayed in a very nice Chambre d’Hote (B&B plus) from the Alasdair Sawday website near a medieval town Carpe Diem

globalti
    Free Member

I would recommend Megeve. It’s a first-generation ski resort based on a very old Alpine village so it’s low and scenic. It’s only 90 minutes from Geneva and very easy to reach from the Autoroutes. The entire town and area belongs to the Rothschilds so it is carefully managed and is not a lager-lout resort. It’s well situated for access to places like Chamonix. In summer, French ski resorts tend not to get busy; we found it very quiet. Megeve has a fantastic swimming pool with flumes, great skating rink and there’s a dry luge slope, you can buy a ticket that gives you plenty of swims and runs on the luge and access to the lift system. There are two or three bike hire places in town and the runs are easy for inexperienced cyclists, while there is also some necky stuff to do. The walking is fabulous and the views of Mont Blanc stunning. You could stay at Chalet D’Antoine, which is run by Simon Butler Skiing all year round. They are helpful and flexible people and the place is well managed.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Where to stay in the Alps?’ is closed to new replies.