Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Where to stay in Manchester,
  • wolly
    Free Member

Me and Mrs Wolly are thinking about a last minute night away in Manchester on saturday, any recomendations for a nice but cheap hotel in the city centre?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Holiday Inn Express by one of the station was decent.

muzzle
    Free Member

Premier Inn by Piccadilly is also good.

globalti
    Free Member

The Novotel in Portland Street is right in the middle of Chinatown and on the edge of Student town, there’s a car park underneath and the whole hotel was refurbished last year. There are dozens of restaurants all around and access to the delights of Rusholme with the Curry Mile (now increasingly middle-eastern food) is a short bus ride away. Oh and there’s a Joseph Holts pub a stone’s throw away if you like good ale.

For overseas visitors I am entertaining I get a “corporate” rate of £99 a night for B&B, if you can get that on a Saturday night you’re doing well. Try ringing and asking for Paul Dawson the reservations manager and discussing the matter; he’s pretty flexible. 0161 235 2200.

binners

How about that place that delivers a truly unique sensory cultural experience. The Rembrandt? Delight as the smell of poppers wafts down the corridor.Mixing with the aroma of fried chicken from McTucky’s across the road. Dance around your room to the sound of pumping Euro disco. Maybe nip downstairs for a few shots and a bottle of WKD blue? No?

OrmanCheep
    Free Member

I know you said cheap, and this isn’t, but it was good value, and may be worth it, if you are doing some shopping anyway…

We stayed in the Midland last weekend in a superior King room. Was a really nice room, with large bathroom. Breakfast was lovely. Rate was £159, but included a £50 gift card for House of Fraser, and a decent bottle of wine and box of chocolates upon arrival.

BillMC

I’m staying in the Renaissance next week. Looks nice but I’ve no idea how much, the mrs’ employers are paying ; )

dazh

Avoid the Palace, it’s gone downhill recently. I saw a hen-party going in there the other day and the bride-to-be was carrying an inflatable penis.

funkrodent

Just had a little look on Laterooms. Normally good for a bargain. Surprised at the cost of most of the hotels. Must be some events on and therefore limited availability = everyone jacking up prices.

First rule though of staying in hotels in/around Manchester is avoid anything that has the word “Britannia” in its name. Follow this simple rule and you can’t go as far wrong as you would if you didn’t.. 😉

If you want to be in the City Centre and aren’t too fussed about staying in a “budget” hotel then the Holiday Inn Express on Oxford Road is in a good location, and reasonably cheap (given what’s on offer)

If you’re happy to be out of the centre then the Waterside Hotel has rooms at £95 a night on laterooms, though you may want to be quick as it is saying last one. Never stayed there, but have used the leisure centre, and it’s in a good location just outside East Didsbury with all of its bars and restaurants, as well as being close to the train and reasonably close to the tram.

If you’re staying outside the city centre you’re pretty safe anywhere to the SE and SW (albeit avoiding any location in Salford, Rusholme or Whalley Range).

Finally, a little out of leftfield, you can get a room on laterooms at the Bredbury Hall Hotel and Country Club for £99. Looks very nice, is a short taxi ride (1.5miles) from Stockport train station which will get you into Mcr City Centre in about 5mins (all the intercity trains make the last stop at Stockport before Mcr). Tbh, I’d go for that. Lovely hotel, lovely grounds etc and even if you have a late one in Mcr on Saturday night the cost of a cab back to the hotel won’t be much more than the saving you’ll make from staying there in the first place..

bikebouy
    Free Member

Knutsford?
    Chester?
    Ambleside?

derek_starship
    Free Member

Check out the hotels on TRafford Rd, Salford Quays. There’s a tram station nearby that will have you in the centre on 5 minutes.

johndoh
    Free Member

The Travelodge (which was THE most depressing place on earth) has now been done out apparently and is pretty decent.

hora
    Free Member

Dont even be tempted by the Travel Lodge in town. Its a terrible place. I’ve seen better B&B’s in Brighton and thats saying something.

nbt

it’s the baking show at GMex this weekend Mrs NBT is going as one of her friends won tickets. Tickets are £14 each, but apparently they have to pay extra if they want to watch any of the demonstrations. Not *quite* sure what you’re paying an entrance fee for then?

nbt

Pretty sure they recently went in to receivership with debts of millions

globalti
    Free Member

DO NOT stay in ANY Travelodge unless you are drunk and very noisy.

Have a look at The Heart in Media City, it’s right behind the BBC (you can get the Jeremy Kyle and Blue Peter wifis on your laptop) at the end of the Metro line. There’s a huge multi-storey car park opposite and a really smashing branch of Booths, the best small supermarket chain in the UK. There’s also Imperial War Museuum, Lowry mall and arts venue and some nice restaurants including Wagamama.

mrchrispy

good call that globalti. trouble with cheap city centre hotels is the other people using them 🙂

Bunnyhop

Bredbury Hall Hotel – Had a terrible reputation as a pick up joint. The hotel is infamous locally for it’s nightclub, where most weekends you would be expected to ‘go back to a room’, with a complete stranger.

Yes I am stuck in the 1950’s 😉

Straightliner

Try some of the serviced apartments, they’re often busy in the week but quiet at the weekends.

RickyRah
    Free Member

Surprised at the cost of most of the hotels. Must be some events on and therefore limited availability = everyone jacking up prices.

It’s also the Manchester Marathon this weekend.

easygirl

Bredbury hall, christ that brings back some memories

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Jury’s inn in meant to be nice.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Where to stay in Manchester,’ is closed to new replies.