Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Where to stay in Fortwilliam?
  • johnhe

A few of us are going to Fortwilliam in September. Does anyone have any recommendations about where to stay? Are the here any of those cheap forest hut things?

Is the cable card still open in September?

Northwind

The gondola runs all year but closes for bikes on the 14th September (and tradition dictates that it will rain for the entire day)

Fort William itself is a hole, the town planners are all deranged. It does have a lot of accomodation options but a lot of them are out on the south side of the town so not the quickest to get to Nevis Range if that’s your thing. If you’re not hung up on being in a town, Spean Bridge is actually closer to Nevis Range than most of Fort Willam and quicker to drive between… It’s a lot smaller, but nicer imo. But not ideal for food, going out etc unless you want to drive.

I’ve stayed recently at Achnabobane Farmhouse, which is nice- run by a lovely retired couple and their yappy dogs. Has a nice feeling of being away from everything but is actually 2 minutes from the road, and probably the closest accomodation to nevis range. They seem to like groups… The Braes at Spean Bridge is also really good- bit more modern.

I think the nearest wigwam place is down towards Oban. But there’s some at Kinlochleven which is actually pretty close to Fort William, and an ace drive along the lochside. And has brilliant riding of its own- better than anything at Nevis IMO but no chairlift 😉 There’s camping and caravans and maybe a yurt place near fort william

jamesmio
    Free Member

Fort Bill itself, we tend to stay here:

http://www.glenaftonbandb.co.uk/

Really nice B&B, run by a lovely couple.

Kinlochleven has this place, http://www.motogoloco.com/macdonald-hotel-and-cabins-ac-47-a-81 which covers hotel, cabins & camping.

Enjoy!

turboferret

The last time I was in FW we stayed in a van in Morrisons car park. Good toilets and cafe, and free!

You may prefer more mod-cons than we did that weekend though 😀

Cheers, Rich

tomd
    Free Member

Fortwilliam has lots of accomodation option but the town is a dump as mentioned above.

If it were me I’d look to say somewhere near by that’s nice and has a pub. So Kinlochleven*, Clachaig, Spean Bridge, Roy Bridge, onich, Glencoe Village

*not nice in an absolute sense, just significantly nicer than Fort Bill

MussEd
    Free Member

We stayed at a nice B&B in torlundy, halfway between town and Nevis Range for 10 Under the Ben. Magnificent views, clean rooms and a cracking breakfast. Highly Recommended . Tower Ridge was the name I think.

Northwind

Ah yeah, I forgot about Torlinnhe, which is a good wee b&b out on the south side of town- I’ve stayed there a couple of times, the actual b&b is pretty standard (though modern and well equipped) but Andy and Sue are excellent hosts and the food’s way above the norm. There’s probably a lot of places like this though.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Where to stay in Fortwilliam?’ is closed to new replies.