Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Where to stay in Dublin
  • CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Looking to go for a long weekend in Dublin, visit family have a few drinks, nothing too exciting, but fairly near some life. Cultural, rather than party. So where should I stay? Hotels, areas.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Budget? And what side are your family (N / S)?

Ballsbridge area is nice: close to town with some pubs and great transport.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Budget up to about £100 per night for a twin room.

Dunno,which side, family are (Catholic;) )

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Whereabouts in Dublin are the family you’re visiting CM?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

LOL.

I’m just asking as it can be a pita getting over the river anytime around rush hour by road.

Check out Bewleys Ballsbridge (thats reasonable £ and not too far of a walk to the DART in/out of town).

There’s lots of proper posh options nearby that often have deals on.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

What is a DART?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Dunno where they are Darcy. Rush hour will not be a prob, we’ll be there over the w/e with not much to do

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Dublin Area Rapid Transit.

Urban rail basically. Cheap, quick, main areas covered but after that it’s limited.

There’s also the LUAS. Which are trams basically. You’ll pick up on the acronyms when you’re there.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Even if there over the weekend, don’t bother too much with a car (if you’re thinking of renting one).

Left field suggestion but Howth in north Co. Dublin is nice. Nice and quiet and a bit away from all the hubbub but with good DART link into town. Other than that, stay in the centre – it’s not that big really and outside of the middle, it’s sprawling suburbia.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

What are the areas in the centre? Or is it not that large. Where is Ranelagh?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Ewe: dont stay in the centre imo if you’re over 30.

Ranelagh is S of centre: a nice area, “studenty” vibe. I lived there in my educational years. Depending exactly on where your digs are will determine transport

john_drummer
    Free Member

Camden Court hotel is nice. Not far from St Stephen’s Green, Grafton Street on the south side of the river.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Yes, i am over 30, and then some!

sv

+1 for Howth or Sutton X (Marine Hotel). Camden Court is good for a central hotel or Clarion Liffey Valley if you want something a bit cheaper but it is further out.

Lidl Breaks Link

Fraz
    Free Member

i can recommend stay city apartments, specifically the christchurch apartments although they have a few blocks throughout dublin.

Stayed at the christchurch apartments earlier this year. Very nicely finished, in a nice area just outside the madness of the pubs

MrGrim

I’m posting this from the Ashling hotel. Rooms are good, food is decent. Nice breakfast. Right on the tram line and close to phoenix park and the national museum. Special offers if you look around.

wombat

I’m over in Dublin for a couple of nights a fortnight and generally end up booked in to the Jury’s Inn at Christchurch.

It’s fine, clean and close to the city centre.

Don’t eat in for anything other than breakfast though…

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Sorted, thanks all. It was southside i wanted after all so Ballsbridge it was

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Where to stay in Dublin’ is closed to new replies.