Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Where to stay in Dolomites (summer)?
  • peterfile
    Free Member

I’m off to a wedding in Salzburg in August, but we have booked our flights so that we arrive a week earlier in order to go climbing/biking/relaxing in the alps for a week first.

Keen to head to Dolomites, but unsure where to stay in summer. Does anyone have any recommendations for towns/resorts? I don’t know the Dolomites very well at all.

ElShalimo

Selva, Val Gardena
    Cortina
    Corvara, Alta Badia
    All big enough to provide lots of choices for hotel, pension, food, bars, shops etc and lots of walking, via ferrata & cycling to be enjoyed

I’ve been 6 times since 2002 to do VF so email me if you have specific route queries

grum
    Free Member

Lots of nice bits of Austria closer than the Dolomites too.

ElShalimo

By the way it will be REALLY busy then as it’s peak holiday season in Europe

joemarshall
    Free Member

We stayed in Dobbiaco / Toblach. It was nice, much quieter than the more Italian bits. Not the same ski-lifts and stuff though – less of a resort place.

Also stopped briefly in Cortina, which is outrageously expensive, everything was fur coat shops and stuff, I wouldn’t recommend it unless you’re absolutely loaded and like being ripped off, we ended up heading further north after a couple of days. On the other hand, it is set up for mountain biking with the ski lifts and things.

There are first world war battlefields up in the high alps there which are incredible – worth a visit, and obviously they are on via-ferrata routes too.

ElShalimo

Cortina can be very expensive but when we’ve stayed there we’ve camped and ate in sensibly priced restaurants. It also has lots of bars and a co-op if you want to go self catering
    It doesn’t have to be expensive

scruff
    Free Member

Theres a 4/5 part write up on pinkbike of the area.

peterfile
    Free Member

Ah, this is all brilliant, thanks guys

cynic-al
    Free Member

Probs not the right area, but I hit Bolzano and Ria del Garda and somewhere else starting with a B in 2004. Liked them a lot, prob crap for climbing.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

If you do choose the Kronplatz area as described in the Pinkbike article then I can thoroughly recommend staying with Sonja & David at Gasthof Neunhaeusern.
    We stay with them regularly in the Winter when we ski Kronplatz.

andyha
    Free Member

Hotel Stella Montis in Campitello, great food, small village

footflaps

I’ve stayed in Cortina. It was OK. The Italian Dolomites are good for Via-Ferrata, but culture and cuisine wise they’re more Austrian than Italian, so the food is poor by Italian standards…

3bikeman
    Free Member

Arraba – look at ‘Colletts holidays’ for an idea of what its like in the area – photos give a great idea of the via ferrata available.

We rented an apartment from the internet as there are lots vacant as they are used for ski ing in winter, about 4 hours drive from Venice.

Sandwich

Alternatively head over towards Berchtesgaden for some mountainous scenery, or into the Salzkammergut around Hallstadt.

peterfile
    Free Member

Sandwich, Berchtesgaden looks fantastic! Much closer to Strobl (where we are staying for the wedding) too.

Have you been?

maxtorque

Cortina is pretty beautiful in summer!

😉

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Where to stay in Dolomites (summer)?’ is closed to new replies.