Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Where to stay in Amsterdam?
  • stayhigh

Morning All

I’m going on a two night break to Amsterdam with a friend at the end of October so thought I would consult the masses for hotel recommendations as well as anything particularly unmissable to do while there, ignoring the obvious RLD and cafes.

We’ll get in late on the first night, have all the following day then early flights back on third day as were both on shift that afternoon.

Cheers all

eskay

We stayed in the museum quarter, it was a nice area and most places were walkable.

stewbaccason

Spent 3 nights and 4 days there this August with the misses and son.
    We’ve been 2 years running now as the misses’ brother live there.

Latest trip we stayed in The Convent Hotel.
    It was really nice. Bed was extremely comfy and breakfast was great. Bacon was a little odd… Sweet cure. Not to my tastes. 😀
    It’s about 5 mins walk from Dam Square and 10mins from Central station.

We’ll definitely look at staying there again.

If you like Museums then I would recommend the Maritime Museum. Quite interesting and could easily pass the whole day there.
    The museums can get pricey though as they aren’t free as they are here.

You can easily spend the day just walking round.
    Personally I love people watching and Amsterdam is excellent for that!
    Find a bar grab a beer and watch the world go by.

If you like good Ale and food (Who doesn’t!…) Go to Brouwerij de Prael.
    Ask for a taster and sit and enjoy 4 ales of various strength and some nuts! 🙂 It’s about 10 euros. The food is also excellent!

I cannot rave about that brewery enough! It’s fantastic!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    joolsburger
    Free Member

I stay at the Rho Hotel which is 30 secs from Dam Square. It’s cheap clean and unpretentious.

http://www.rhohotel.com/

I’d rent a bike and ride around it’s a fantastic city. Don’t smoke the weed or that’ll be your weekend gone!!

stayhigh

Cool cheers for the advice guys will investigate further.

Keep ’em coming 🙂

nedrapier

I can absolutely recommend Airbnb for city break holidays. You feel like you’re living in the city for a short while, rather than being in a special pen for tourists. And if you’re only there for a couple of days, you’re likely to be eating out every meal anyway. Even breakfast, it’s quite nice heading out early to find a nice coffee shop, patisserie.

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

We stayed at the hotel de hallen earlier this year.

It’s not cheap but it was a lovely place to stay.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Definitely worth researching what you want to do and get a hotel in that area even if it means paying a bit more, you have only a short time. We stayed in a very nice place right on canals (The Pulitzer, expensive but we had a deal at the time) which was very close to the Anne Frank House, good neighbourhood for bars/cafes/museums. There are lots of other options in the neighbourhood. Although the city is small I have found it a bit troublesome to get around by taxi what with all the canals and tram lines. Watch out for the bikes, they are everywhere and will cut you down 😉

tacopowell
    Free Member
    teef
    Free Member

Rho Hotel

I stayed there (admittedly a few years ago) and a taxi driver told me Rho stood for Really horrible – he wasn’t far wrong!

devash
    Free Member

If you want a decent hostel instead of a hotel the Flying Pig near Central Station has served us well the past 3 times we’ve been. Got a private room one time and the other two in 8 bunk shared dorms and each time been really happy with the experience.

They don’t allow smoking anywhere except a special smoke room so the hostel has a pleasant atmosphere. A great place to stay if you’re not into the whole coffee shop scene. The bar is cheap and the staff are always super friendly.

waihiboy
    Free Member

if you want spit and sawdust this palce was cheap and central..

get what you pay for

stayhigh

The Convent looks nice and lots of options through Airbnb which is good. Not sure entirely if there’s much of a plan other then getting away for a cheeky break. Cafe and people watching is always good though.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Where to stay in Amsterdam?’ is closed to new replies.