Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Where to stay during Edinburgh art festival
  • sputnik
    Free Member

I am planning to go for a couple of days with my wife and 14yo son.
    Any ideas / recomendations where to stay on a tightish budget?

richmtb

Somewhere in Glasgow, and get the train to Edinburgh

honeybadgerx

Camp? There’s a couple of campsites close to the city you can easily use public transport (i.e. bus) to get in from once you’re there.

hels
    Free Member

House swap ? Where do you live ? Can you trade with friends for a few days ? When I lived in Edinburgh always rented my place out at an extortionate rate for the Fringe – I got a holiday paid for and avoided all the hoardes of rampaging Festival **** stinking up the place with their ham and pretension. Result !

TPTcruiser

We stayed in Snoozebox for the last weekend of the Festival in 2013. The 2014 location is a bit further away from the station so a bit quieter. A 14 y.o. may be at the limit of the bunk bed capacity.
    It was ok and cheaper than the headline cost…
    Dunbar has some quite late trains, we looked there too.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Very expensive to stay in town, but not sucha biggie if it’s just a couple of days.
    Check out gumtree or airb’n’b?

fatmax

Check out 53 Frederick Street – reasonably priced B&B for central Edinburgh

konabunny
    Free Member

Oh no it’s the festival ****!

(Camping at Mortonhall, B and B in Musselburgh etc – depends how short and how late a commute you need. Are you going to be going to midnight shows?)

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Yeah, I rented my flat out for the month and gonna chill out in India. Free holiday!

hels
    Free Member

I believe the traditional August Shavers Weekly headline is “Oh No, Here Come the Festival ****”.

Duane…
    Free Member

Air BnB, I’m going to be renting my room out during the festival!

spxxky
    Free Member

Cameron Toll Travelodge – just spent 3 nights there, only a mile n half from town centre, should be cheap but maybe booked up if there’s a festival on

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Oh yeah, the bus service in Edinburgh is very good. Lots of night buses going to the outskirts and further

geoffj

Travelodge near the airport and use the park and ride or Tram.

Edit: Actually travelodge at Dunfermline and use the Inverkeithing park and ride will probably be the cheapest option.

Philby

The few times I have been we stayed in student accommodation in the Cowgate area which is really central for the festival. Sorry can’t remember who it was booked through.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

It’s called Central Hostel.
    Right next to Brewdog Bar if you like that kind of thing.

sputnik
    Free Member

Thanks guys, I will look into some of the ideas.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Where to stay during Edinburgh art festival’ is closed to new replies.