Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Where to sell film SLR stuff?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Pentax ME super
    28mm and 35mm Ashai/Pentax/SMC lenses
    FLashgun (praktica, possibly, it began with p and fairly straight foreward to use)

All in good condition appart form a broken lense cap, everythign else works perfectly.

Ebay says arround £50 for the body and anything upto £50 each for the lenses, I think they'r f2.4 but could be wrong (and this seems to be the stumbling block between a 99p lense and a £55 one on ebay).

Where's a good place to sell them? Do camera shops pay good prices? Is Ebay the only way to go? Any (UK) camera forums worth signing up to? what's any of it worth? It's my Dad's old stuff and I've used it a bit, but fancy a basic DSLR to learn with as I'm failry sure I'd be better if I could take shots and learn from my mistkes rather than having to wait a few weeks then forgetting what settings abc and XYZ were and making the same mistakes again!

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Film stuff isn't worth much unless its uber rare. I sold a Zuiko 55mm f1.2 lens for £80 on ebay, which 18months earlier were fetching around £250 for the same thing.
    Try Talkphotography, or POTN if you want to try a couple of forums

Bez

eBay is best for prices if you come across as a good seller – look in your local camera shop windows and stuff like this is cheap by comparison, and you have to take their margins into account. There's the Pentax User forums but again isn't populated by the lunatics that buy on eBay.

If your 35mm turns out to be the f/2 then it's worth well into three figures for the M version and up to £200 for the A. The flashgun's almost certainly worth nothing. £50 sounds fair but top-end for the 28mm and a little optimistic for the body unless it's absolutely mint.

Then again, why not pick up a Pentax body? You can get them used for £150 upwards depending on model and they all work with your old Pentax lenses. And old Pentax lenses are great quality.

So if I were you I'd flog the body and put that towards a used K100D or K-M… (or if cash is less tight, go for a K-X or a used K10D or K20D)

epicsteve
    Free Member

There are lots of ME Super's out there, so they don't tend to make all that much cash. Of the older Pentax film cameras it's really only the MX's and LX's that make good money now.

Pentax K-mount lenses still sell quite well (because they work with the DSLR bodies), but it's very dependent on version (KA's give more metering modes on digital bodies so are worth more that earlier lenses) and particular models. For example if your 35mm is one of the fast F2 ones then I'd still expect that to make decent money.

If the 28mm is an SMC-M 28mm F2.8 then I'd be expecting it to make £20 or so on Ebay, however an SMC-A 28mm F2.8 could make £50+. If I recall correctly the 28mm F3.5 is a particularily well regarded lens and actually tends to make better prices than the F2.8 version does.

epicsteve
    Free Member

If you decide to buy a Pentax body to work with those lenses then I'd recommend an earlier one (e.g. DS*) as they work better with SMC-M lenses.

Later bodies like the K10D have to do stop-down metering with pre SMC-A lenses, and flash modes don't work so well. I have a lot of old M42 and SMC-M lenses and keep an DS* mainly for using with those, using a K10D with newer lenses.

Bez

I've got the K10D, it works great with M lenses. You just hit the green button and it's metered. It's stop-down, but automated. Not like M42s which need to be stopped down manually – I sold all my M42 stuff as I just couldn't be bothered with metering them.

Is the DS* much different? I occasionally toy with picking up one of the old 6Mpx bodies as a spare with an eye to decent low-light performance.

epicsteve
    Free Member

With the DS* you can just stick the SMC-M lenses on and meter like you would do with one of the film bodies. You can only use centre-weighted or spot metering (which was also the case with those lenses and the Z1p) but there is no need to stop down manually. I think the K10D and later are missing a lever in the mount which communicates how many stops down from maximum the lens is set at i.e. to allow the camera to calculate the exposure without stopping down.

The DS* also works with older flash units like the AF400FTZ in auto mode, which is another reason why I've kept mine.

tommo999
    Free Member
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

cheers guys, like I said, its not mint, but has spent its entire life in a case so near as dammit.

I'll look in more detail at the lenses tonight and maybe post them up in the talk photography forum at some point, im sure I've had a login at somepoint.

Wasn't expecting mega bucks, just enough make the jump to a d40/d40x a bit easier to swallow would be nice. On the other hand I might put them away in a drawer and keep them untill I'm a bit mroe practiced and just swallow the fact that digital stuff is so expensive!

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

This might be a good start

Pentax

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Where to sell film SLR stuff?’ is closed to new replies.