Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Where to sell a car?
  • sheeps

We’re upgrading to a T5 (finally won the argument with Mrs Sheeps) and looking to sell our current VW Touran privately – with the hope of getting more than the derisory part-ex value!

Any suggestions on where to advertise it? Think of Gumtree (as it’s free) but need to shift is reasonably quickly.

Ta

stevedoc
    Free Member

Ebay ,Gumtree and Pre-loved are where ive sold my last 2 , before that I tried AutoTrader ,that was £46 wasted

lovegoinguphills
    Free Member

I will second Gumtree, am using it more and more free with success

peterfile
    Free Member

I just sold a car at the weekend…

Ebay – £15 and had a few leads
    Gumtree – free and had a few tyre kickers
    Autotrader – £46 and led to two serious people, both making offers.

Interestingly, the viewing numbers for the ads was almost identical across all three platforms, which makes me think that people now look through all three when car searching and I was picking up the same potential buyers.

lunge

I used Gumtree to sell mine, it worked well, sold the car and cost nothing.

allthepies
    Free Member

Facebook local “cars for sale” group worked for me. Sold in less than 24hrs after putting an ad up. No fees also obviously 🙂

CheesybeanZ

Age and mileage will play a part in wheres best . Webuyanycar.com might be worth a try .

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Just sold (and bought) on ebay using their best offer/counter offer facility. Won’t go near autotrader-it’s even more frustrating than stw

P-Jay
    Free Member

Gumtree for me – dude turned up unannounced, my Father in Law (who used to work in the motor trade) happened to be in my house looking after our Son, sent him on his way smiling for full asking price – it was a HORRIBLE car too, easily the worst I’ve ever owned – but it was only £1100 and I’d just spent £600 to scrape it through an MOT so the guy thought it was a bargain.

I think it depends on what type of car your selling – if it’s reasonably new, or worth more than £5k or so Autotrader, if it’s a cheap banger – Gumtree and if it’s a complete lemon barely held together with sticky tape and of dubious origin – eBay.

Saying that I bought my CBR via eBay, the seller was lovely and the bike in fantastic condition.

theaccountant
    Free Member

Just sold my Audi A3 on Pistonheads – about £12 for a month I think

Sold my last 3 cars on there too

Had loads of calls / emails, though usual proportion of timewasters / chancers

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I’ve used Ebay the last 2 times I’ve sold a car (Mark IV Golf about 4 years back and then, a a couple of weeks ago, our poorly Skoda Octavia Scout).

Both times I’ve started the bidding at the absolute minimum I’d want to accept and set a Buy it Now for a little above the book price from Parkers. In both cases the cars have gone for over the BIN price – the last one was without a working engine so was advertised for spares or repair and I still got a very decent price for it (only about £500 less than I would have got on a main dealer trade-in with it in full working order).

One thing I would recommend if you go down that route (apart from being COMPLETELY honest in the listing) is state in the listing that you are not interested in offers and don’t stick your mobile number in the listing (you’ll get plagued with stupid offers by text) – ask people to contact you via Ebay and don’t be tempted to accept offers outside the site – you’ll almost certainly get a better price from letting it run and are covered by their standard protection terms.

Webuyanycar is useful if you want a quick hassle-free sale but you will lose £££s – my experience is they’ll offer you less than trade in a lot of cases – cheekily if you don’t commit straight away you get a follow up email a week later telling you your car has miraculously increased in value!

If you don’t have a Parkers book or login then you get get a reasonably accurate and free valuation here: http://www.motoring.co.uk/

sheeps

Thanks all… going to start off with Gumtree and see where we go from there.

edenshawbay
    Free Member

Where are you I’m in the market for a used Touran? {petrol}

jamesfts
    Free Member

Depends on the value of car being sold but if it’s on the cheap and cheerful side of things find a local road with reasonable traffic and stick the PRICE in the window IN BIG LETTERS.*

Sold my last pickup in about 20 minutes to a local farmer for more than I paid for it – still see it pottering around with a huge Dirt mag and other mtb related stickers on it.

*not sure the rule on selling cars on public highway but luckily a friend has land bordering road so parked in exchange for a crate of beer.

sheeps

edenshawbay – ygm

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Where to sell a car?’ is closed to new replies.