Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Where to ride with kids in the French Alps (or similar)
  • kermit
    Free Member

Evening all,

I’m looking at booking next year’s summer holidays. Having tried without much success to find something with good mountain biking in France closer to home (as my wife can’t drive any more, it’s all on me), I’ve now decided to go further afield with an overnight stay, so we’re looking at possibly the Alps.

The thing I’m struggling with, however, is figuring out what might or might not be suitable for my kids of 13, 10 & 8. The first two are on decent hardtails, and the youngest on a rigid Frog bike and accepting of the fact that he won’t be able to ride everything the older ones can, but still keen to do as much as he can.

They’re all comfortable on the likes of the red trails at Haldon or Bedgebury, and the elder two are also comfortable on the red at Swinley, but that just goes to underline my problem. All three are “red” trails, but I feel there’s a big difference between Haldon to Bedgebury, then another step up to Swinley.

I’m not going to take them on DH tracks, but I’ve no idea what green, blue or red actually means in terms of the trails on the ground in any of the Alpine resorts, so I’d really appreciate input from any who’ve been. 🙂

domderbyshire
    Free Member

The new Green in Les Carroz is great fun. My 8 year old lapped it up on a hard tail and you can session it via the lift. There are also plenty of general trails that are fine, plus you’re not far from Morzine for a day out.

nickjb
    Free Member

Morzine is a great family destination. Something for all riders. You are right to be wary of grading but they’ll be fine on the greens and there’s a good network of fireroads and ungraded tracks. Basically it’s a massive network of connected trails with lots of lifts so you’ll find something. They’ll probably be on the blues and the easier reds by the end of the week. Only big issue is the weather. If it’s wet it’s gets a lot trickier. Pretty random though.

Couple of other plusses are it’s a reasonable drive and there’s loads of other stuff to do in town.

sharkattack

Morzine is great because of the sheer number of trails. There’s something at every level. My girlfriend loved it as a total beginner on a hardtail. She loved the blue run on the Pleney and the main red run under the lift in Les Gets is very smooth and flowy.

Top place to stay as well as there’s a lot of stuff away from the trails to keep you entertained.

kermit
    Free Member

I’m detecting a trend here… Morzine looks like the place to go!

I shall leave Alpe d’Huez to the roadies! 😆

sharkattack

I just remember having my teeth rattled out in Alp d’Huez about 5 years ago. Rockiest trails I’ve ever ridden. I’d go back to refresh my memory but I wouldn’t bother taking a beginner there.

Morzine and Les Gets are just easy to do. Highest concentration of trails with loads of places to stay. Nice campsite on top of a hill in Les Gets if you don’t mind the climb. Everything is open and there’s lots of humans milling around in town so it’s not like the Walking Dead on an evening.

EDIT: You’ve got me thinking now! I’m sitting here listening to the wind trying to rip my windows out and I’d kill to hit a few laps on the DH bike. Only 8 months to go….

onehundredthidiot

La bresse in the Vosges. Look up vosges vtt.

kermit
    Free Member

Hmm… The Vosges certainly look closer and cheaper from an accommodation perspective. Any downsides?

smogmonster

The cycle path from Annecy to Ugine is fine for family rides, as is the path from Aime to Bourg St Maurice. My family rode them both this summer.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Another vote for Morzine – the Greens are fun to ride at any age.

My Lad was 8 in this vid

More importantly though it’s a decent resort for non-biking stuff. Loads to do and there these passes you can buy for a few euros a day that allow you entry into lots of activities.

kermit
    Free Member

Thanks P-Jay! In that one video, you’ve perfectly encapsulated the sort of holiday I’m thinking of! 8) Except maybe the broken plank on the plank bridge part way down!

Morzine is definitely nailed on. Now the question is just whether to have two weeks there, or do a week on the Med then a week in Morzine. Life can be so hard sometimes! 😆

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Where to ride with kids in the French Alps (or similar)’ is closed to new replies.