Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Where to ride on way home from and in scotland
  • ticsmon

I’m off to Grangemouth for 2 weeks probs staying in Falkirk. Gonna stop at mabie or ae on the way home not sure which one. Anyone recommend one ? Or anywhere to ride while I’m up there thanks

chief1409
    Free Member

I’ve done both Mabie and Ae in the last couple of weeks. Very different from each other. Mabie has a lot of more natural trails (roots/rocks etc) although still has some good man made sections too.

I found most of Ae a bit dull as a lot of the trail is new so a bit smooth for my liking. On the plus side Omega Man was excellent. If you like table tops and big air then the last part of Ae is great.

My favourite of of the two is Mabie. If you have the time then I’d recommend heading over to Kirroughtree – one of my favourite trails anywhere.

chief1409
    Free Member

Should’ve said – Glentress isn’t too far from Grangemouth /Falkirk although if trail centres are not your thing then i’m sure someone will be along soon to suggest some local routes…

ticsmon

Is kirroughtree much further to drive from the motorway ? Don’t know how much time I’ll have

squirrelking
    Free Member

Carron Valley is close enough to there plus the Forth and Clyde canal if you fancy a bit of path riding (the Kelpies have just been finished as well and are about Grangemouth IIRC plus there’s teh Falkirk Wheel if that interests you).

Glentress will be a good drive from there as will Ae and Mabie, that’s probably better suited to the journey to and from. Kirroughtree is a hell of a drive just for a ride on the way by, you’re driving about 3/4 of the way to Stranraer and then need to get back to the motorway. Looking at Google maps it would be roughly a 120 mile round trip.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Kirro way over an hour off the M74, Carron valley – meh. Put a post up on Trailscotland, ask if someone will show you round Dumyat and Mine woods, it’ll be cracking just now after this weather.

jfmc
    Free Member

Carron Valley trail centre is just up the road from Falkirk but it’s a bit limited – the official trails there are only about 10km worth. Good for a quick evening blast though. There’s natural stuff in the forest and big xc outings over the hills around there as well – look at the map and plan an adventure.

There’s lots of good trails up near Stirling for evening rides as well – Cambusbarron quarry out to North Third on the west of the city, or Dumyat to the north.

The Pentlands are chock full of excellent natural trails as well, although it’s only another 30 mins from there to the Tweed valley.

mrmojo
    Free Member

I have rode both trails many a time. If i were you i would miss both out cut off the m74 & ride drumlanrig not far from the motorway if you like natural rooty trails.

falkirk-mark

There is a few good trails up here. Cambu, Dumyat/mine woods CV Torwood/Plean only place I can think of on road up is drumlanrig or one of the Dumfries trail centres. Where you working BP or Ineos ?
    TBH I would go to Dalbeattie before Mabie or Ae and Mabie before Ae (rode Ae and thought it was crap though that is a personal opinion, thought it was a slog and gave nowt back)

Northwind

Depends how long you want to spend really, Mabie is really lovely imo, quite a north welsh feel. Dalbeattie had a bunch of closures on when we were last there that took the heart out of the loop I thought.

There’s no better option for killing time than Glentress, the drives aren’t so different. GT’s not necessarily better (though, I think it is 😉 ), mostly it’s just accessible, easy to navigate, easy to cut loops short or repeat bits or kill extra time on the jumps or whatever- never ridden anywhere else that can match it for that

Trekster

Ae is the nearest to the motorway, add another 20-30mins depending on traffic to get to Mabie. To get back to the 74 I would recommend going via Lockerbie due to road works on the 75 to Gretna.
    These are my local trails and have no preference, riding Ae,Mabie and Dalbeattie pretty much equally throughout the year. Near enough 4yrs since my last visit to GT!!
    Whinlatter at Keswick is another option? Bit more expensive to park though!!

ticsmon

Cheers chaps lots of options.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Was there an article this one time in the STW mag about a loop out of the back of Tebay services?

Did I just make that up?

theblackmount
    Free Member

On your doorstep:

http://www.callendarestate.co.uk/things-to-do-in-falkirk/cycling-routes

Not challenging but you can ride your socks off as there 3 loops plus hundreds of miles of trails to and from the place / all over Falkirk.

You can link in with the Kelpies which is well worth a meander down to at dusk:

http://www.thehelix.co.uk/discover-helix/the-kelpies/

Slightly further afield (but very accessible via the Union Canal) you have Muiravonside Country Park:

http://www.falkirkcommunitytrust.org/venues/muiravonside/

No waymarked stuff but it’s small – just follow your nose. Some nice technical riding here and there – I use it a lot mixed in with other stuff.

Also Beecraigs which is now mostly waymarked and has some decent natural stuff:

http://www.westlothian.gov.uk/tourism/countryparks/beecraigs/Beecraigsactivities

Plean and Torwood are pretty limited in my view and need local knowledge. Ignore the comment above – Carron Valley is worth the (short)trip. Beast yourself up and down Meikle Bin (big hill / old volcano which dominates the area)if the waymarked stuff isnt enough. Fantastic views from the top.

Dumyat’s okay and worth mixing in with Uni Woods stuff. The out and back up the hill is simply a case of driving up and looking for the eroded path up to the top. North Third also good but needs local knowledge.

Polmont is a good base for the stuff I mention early on. Not sure on hotels though. Linlithgow also a good location as Beecraigs and Muiravonside are easily combined.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Where to ride on way home from and in scotland’ is closed to new replies.