• This topic has 10 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by andyv.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Where to ride on my way up north?!
  • GolfChick
    Free Member

So I’ve got a psychometric test 10am Friday in Falkirk and a travelodge booked nearby. I’m leaving Birmingham area at approx 3pm the day before and want to get beyond Manchester area before five and teatime traffic but figure I have two hours to spare somewhere so where shall I stop for a ride that’s not too far off route. Don’t mind trail centre or natural and I’m riding inners Friday afternoon so not there! Cheers

somouk
    Free Member

As a bit of route advice, try and get up past Preston before you stop. You’ll have perfectly clear run then until you get to Tebay services which is the best services to stop at on the way up 🙂

Biking wise I don’t think there is much off the M6 that is close to the motorway so you may need to travel in a bit.

martinhutch

As above, get a move on and get past Preston early, maybe ride something from Staveley (10-15m from M6). I think you can get over Garburn and back down from Kentmere, ~EDIT although you may want to take lights just in case. It’s light til 9ish now, isn’t it?

Do people really make you drive half the length of the country to do a psychometric test these days?

globalti
    Free Member

If you want flat, leave the M6 on the M55 to Blackpool and turn immediately off onto the A6 north then head out onto the Fylde, which has interesting places like Glasson Dock to visit, or if you want hilly leave the M6 at Preston and head inland on the A59 and ride in the Ribble Valley or Bowland Fells or head further east to Gisburn.

An OS map would help.

MoreCashThanDash

There was a route from Tebay services in the mag last year?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

When I’m workin in Glasgow Ae is my default get a quick spin in on the way home spot. Howgills bit of work required though routewise as I imagine the sedburgh bowderdale loop would be a bit ambitious? Whinaltter’s only 20 mins from mway. T’other side of M6 from howgills, borrowdale etc?

twang
    Free Member

Forecasts a bit blowy for Thurs, I’d avoid the tops and head for the trees..I’m a wimp though

falkirk-mark

If you waited till you got to Falkirk you could go to Torwood or Falkirk Wheel or Callander park and Beecraigs country Park(all within 5 miles of Travelodge). All of which you could find on Strava heatmaps. However the weather is quite horrific up here for the next few days.

Esme
    Free Member

I’d be tempted to ride in the daylight and drive in the dark.

How about somewhere like Tockholes (BB3 0PA) close to M65 Junction 3, which you’d get to in a couple of hours? That gives you Roddlesworth Woods and Darwen Tower, according to the weather.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Good shout on ae. Not ridden there before so gonna opt for that! I’d of gone for winlatter but I’m riding there on my way to loch ness in June.

The job is in Aberdeen so not so mental a place to do test!

andyv
    Free Member

Ae is my favourite Scotland work-trip diversion. Not far off the motorway and a cracking ride. You can trim your length of ride to suit a little doing the Orange downhill/freeride loop at the top.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Where to ride on my way up north?!’ is closed to new replies.