Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Where to ride near Sheffield?
  • kermit
    Free Member

Evening all,

I’m heading up to Sheffield for a couple of days on business. One option is to get the train up. The somewhat less attractive option (from Surrey) is to drive up, but if I do that, I could stick my bike in the back and go riding in the evenings.

Question is, therefore, is there anywhere decent to ride in/near Sheffield which would be good for a quick 60-90 minute blast, ideally with marked trails so I don’t have to faff around with maps or anything? I know the Peaks are rammed full of stuff, but I’m not going to have the time to do anything epic.

I’m not looking for anything too extreme; just red grade trail centre sort of stuff. 🙂

jekkyl

There’s 3
    Parkwood springs.
    Lady Cannings plantation.
    Grenoside.

http://www.ridesheffield.org.uk/projects/

jekkyl

you don;t have to go all the way out to the dark peak though, there’s lot of good stuff nearer the city. If you’re in the south of the city for example it’s not too far out to Holmesfield to pick up the Linacre classic route from the white peak book.

kermit
    Free Member

Ooh, that looks ideal, thanks!

Grenoside is 5 miles from the hotel, so that works out nicely. 🙂

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Park at langsett and do cut gate, head uphill and then ride back when you see the last trig before the decent to ladybower.. Awesome technical ride.. And hard work, if it’s been raining avoid

andyxxx
    Free Member

Grenoside woods are very boggy at the moment though of course there are numerous tracks that are rideable. I wouldn’t recommend Grenoside woods to someone that doesn’t know them or have a buddy to ride with.

Where are you staying?

steveh

Are you talking about wharncliffe woods andy? The three signed trails in Greno are well surfaced and have stood up well all winter. They even stood up to the race with very little impact so it would be strange (and worrying for us) if they’ve gone soft?

Tracey

Abigale was out in Wharncliffe yesterday and has been up on Cutgate today. She says they were both in very good condition for the amount of rain we have had. Both her and the bike didnt seem over muddy.

andyxxx
    Free Member

steveh – No I am not referring to the ‘manmade’ tracks – which are great, I am talking about the many trails through the woods which were really muddy on Tuesday. We will not be back for a few weeks

I go there fairly regularly mainly in Summer and follow my biking mates around, so I’m never really sure if I’m in Wharncliffe or Grenoside woods or where the cut off is between them!!

gravity-slave
    Free Member

The cut off is the big road from Grenoside.

The car park is on Wharncliffe side, which is usually terrible in the wet and largely unmanaged and unsigned trails which are awesome in the summer.

Over the road is Grenoside where there are the 3 man made surfaced mini dh tracks and fire road climbs.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Thanks for the heads up on cutgate, may do it tomorrow, but set off from langsett car park , rather than ride over from holmfirth I don’t think the legs will stand it tomorrow

kermit
    Free Member

How DH are the trails in Grenoside? I like a bit of fun, but being a bit rubbish and middle aged, nothing I can’t roll if needs be!

As for where I’ll be staying, nowhere booked yet, but probably the Hampton on West Bar Green.

Tracey

Everything is rollerble except Jollies which has a chicken run.

andyxxx
    Free Member

Try and get in at the Brocco. You could cycle from this superb boutique hotel (off road within 20 metres) up past Forge Dam, over Houndkirk and back down through Lady Cannings

Tracey

Had a good walk aroun Geno and Wharncliffe tonight while Abigale and Katie were on the Hope ladies ride. The trails are drying out very fast.

MarkE25

When are you coming up? I live near the broccoli in SW sheffield. Happy to go out for a spin one evening and show you some of the local loops. Email in profile if interested

antigee

“…I live near the broccoli….”

don’t we all 🙂

mikerigby

I work in Shefield 2 or 3 days a week, and am looking to do more riding straight after work before I head home. Happy to meet up to learn and experience some local rides if anyone is out and about. Wednesday’s are good for me. Trying Cut Gate route tonight.

kermit
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer Mark.. I’ll drop you an email if you don’t mind plodding around with a mediocre middle aged fat knacker!

I’m staying in the Hilton, btw. We’re Were limited to what we can book through our work booking system, but I’ll have the car with me, so not a problem.

I reckon I should be able to escape to ride by around six on Wednesday or Thursday, with Wednesday being probably the better bet.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Where to ride near Sheffield?’ is closed to new replies.