• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by kcr.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Where to ride near Livingston
  • somouk
    Free Member

I’ve been lucky enough to be sent on some training in Scotland over the next couple of weeks in Livingston.

Is there anywhere decent to ride near by?

Regards,
    Martin

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

It’s not often one sees the words lucky and Livingston in the same sentence.

However you will not be far away from Glentress, Innerleithen and Carron Valley. There must be some local stuff in the Bathgate hills etc but suspect you would need a native guide to find it.

hels
    Free Member

Away from it and fast, would be my recommendation…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    iwluap

The Pentlands will be right on your doorstep. Plenty of riding to be done there.

balfa
    Free Member

Lots in the Pentlands. Some paths are not so suitable in the wet so use your noggin.

See map here

Hohum
    Free Member

Orange Crush – Member
    It’s not often one sees the words lucky and Livingston in the same sentence.

However you will not be far away from Glentress, Innerleithen and Carron Valley. There must be some local stuff in the Bathgate hills etc but suspect you would need a native guide to find it.

I quite like living in Livingston. Housing is affordable (in comparison to Edinburgh and Glasgow) and it is ideally situated in terms of getting to most places in the central belt quickly.

I have managed to find some half-decent rides around where I live, but they aren’t technical really.

I do intend to travel a bit further when I get a bike rack for my car.

hels
    Free Member

Pentlands not really on the doorstep, unless of course you have a very very big doorstep. And then it’s the wrong side, most of the trails are at the Penicuik end.

I worked in Livingstone for 6 months, and even at the end I STILL took the wrong roundabout cycling to work.

Worst job ever, but that was for lots of other reasons. Cycling there and back from Edinburgh was the best thing about it.

Hohum
    Free Member

^^^^

I like the Livingston roundabouts, much better for traffic flow than traffic lights and I like the way the bigger ones have sculptures on them 8)

AlasdairMc

Beecraigs is alright from Livi, you can do that for a nightride. Or the Pentlands, you can reach there offroad if you don’t mind exploring a bit.

I did it in the opposite direction (Balerno to Murieston) and it was a good way to spend a couple of hours on a Sunday morning, but not outstanding riding by a long shot.

Will you have a car with you as well?

giant_scum
    Free Member

Think there are some trails in the area around Muiriston look on Google Maps around the South side of Livingston. Heatherbash knows the trails around Beecraigs and Muiravonside Parks. If you have a car there are loads of places available to you. Enjoy

druidh
    Free Member

balfa – Member
    Lots in the Pentlands. Some paths are not so suitable in the wet so use your noggin.

See map hereThat reminds me. I must write to them and ask them to take that map down.

balfa
    Free Member

That reminds me. I must write to them and ask them to take that map down.

I wondered how long it would take you to show up after posting that 😉 . N.B. I have nothing to do with the EUCC. Perhaps you could offer them a cut down version with the more armored trails on it?

somouk
    Free Member

Yeah I’ll have a car that I can throw the bike in so will be able to travel away from Livingston if need be.

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

kcr
    Free Member

Great network of quiet minor roads around Livingston and out to the west for road riding.
    You can actually ride off road pretty much all the way to Glasgow if you study an OS map and piece together various forest roads, single track and other wild stuff.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Where to ride near Livingston’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts