Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Where to ride in Southampton
  • Divid
    Free Member

Hi

Moving down to Southampton to start new job next week and after some top tips on where is good to get some singletrack/off road play in that area.

Many thanks

Dave

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Just a bit to your west is the New Forest, though the access for bikers can be problematic.

DezB
    Free Member

Check the bike forum – There is usually an evening ride on a Thursday (with that (in)famous World Class Accident chappie). Join that when you’re down and they will give you loads of tips.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    slimjim78
    Free Member

Where to ride in Southampton

the opposite direction…

No seriously, get away.

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

^ this.

I’ve been here for nearly 18 months now and i’m still looking…

soma_rich
    Free Member

Lordswood/sports center has days worth of riding and now WCA has the pump track built you can play there too!

Isle of wight on the door step,
    South downs from Winchester,
    Queen Liz country park near Portsmouth,
    Purbecks down the road in Dorset,

The forest sucks. NewForce will try and tell you otherwise. But there is very little riding and what is there is cheeky.

atlaz
    Free Member

the opposite direction…

No seriously, get away.

What, Portsmouth? God forbid

40mpg

The Forest has lots of pubs and can be entertaining when riding bladdered (thats our approach anyway).

Lots of local options as above – link up with the Lordswood riders as its a maze for the uninitiated in there, or us Newforcers will be happy to show you around – only 1 in 3 of our rides are in the Forest, and we have weekly nigh rides Tuesday & Thursday north of Southampton.

But yes the Forest is limited on fun, and sensitive to cheeky stuff.

Also try Moors Valley area, Farleigh Mount nr Winchester, QE Park and Swinley Forest for trail center stuff both 45 mins away, lots of options really, keeps me busy!

nixie

Dave,

Likes mentioned above look out for our weekly Thursday Lordswood night ride (and beer :D) thread. Normal start is 7pm from the end of coxford road (see map, the grey square in the centre in the trees is the gas station, we meet next to it.).

Muke
    Free Member

Don’t forget the Big Bike Bash Its only one weekend in August but good fun, just ask WCA when you catch up with him 😀

ciderinsport
    Free Member

The forest sucks

I do think that does depend on what type of riding your looking for!
    DH / trail centre it aint!… but from my perspective, riding from my door, with a bunch of mates, with a nice pub stop mid ride – that makes a good ride! (ss helps too!)

I also enjoy riding in other areas already mentioned above 😀

bikebouy
    Free Member

Erm.. hang on you lot.. I live ere (most of the time) and it’s ok, I mean I’m happy here like..
    So, Sotty specific.. hmmm, then yeah the Lordswood lot deffo..
    New Forest is limited but stay North of the A27/M27 and it’s sooo much quieter and cheeky and fun.
    SDW is Ok but very limited OMO (once done, you’ve done it)
    Bridleways are a plenty so get your OS Map out.

BbbbbBBut we’ve lots of woods/forests.
    Bere Forest (It’s a big wood really near Wickham) loadsa trails in there..
    Botley Woods and trails up/down the Hamble River (is where I play)
    If you do need to go over QEPark head over the top and beyond, it’s much better and quieter.. unless you want company that is..

I’d say keep your eyes open for woods and link between them in your own route.

Theres a few guys that ride over P’mth way (can’t remember there name) they have a website too and encourage riders (Kingly Vale area)

Then theres Fareham Wheelers lot, ask for Dave Palk and he’ll show you more of this area than anyone I know (or he knows) They ride Tues and Thurs Eves and Sunday morning.. I’d deffo give them a whirl, they’ve a website and a very well run/attended bunch and you’ll deffo enjoy.

Have fun.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Where to ride in Southampton’ is closed to new replies.