Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Where to ride in Lakes?
  • oxnop
    Free Member

Not sure where we are staying yet (we are going to stay nearest to most of the rides!?!) so im looking for ideas. Any input appreciated.

Also if anybody can recommend a good campsite(bike friendly). Thanks

Pook

camp at pooley bridge, ride ullswater and high street 😀

High street and ullswater

vdubber67
    Free Member

Base yourself at Ambleside. Lots of amenities, and you can ride out from there too…

oxnop
    Free Member

I’ve stopped at pooley bridge before, that is where we were considering to stay. Idealy we wanted not to drive too far from where we were camping so Ambleside might be our choice.

Can anybody recommend any ‘natural’ routes or a guide book which they have used and found to be good. We have only got two days and want to make as much use of our time as possible.

Wharfedale
    Free Member

We’ve stayed here a few times – Grizedale camping Probably the nicest/easiest going campsite owner I’ve ever met. We stayed again at the weekend in one of the camping pods, big advantage of the pods is you can lock them so good for storing bikes and gear in.

Loads of good riding in Grizedale or there is Claife Heights, plenty of routes around Coniston too.

Eagles head pub in Satterthwaite does good food and beer (1/2 mile walk)

BFITH
    Free Member

Ive used ullswater as a base before. Theres 2 campsites down east side of lake v. near to each other – Waterside House and Park foot (more commercial). Just ride out of campsite and head for the fells (Barton fell, High st, Martindale and over to Hartsop and Patterdale) some great riding to be had!

oxnop
    Free Member

All sound good, i’ve just bought the book mentioned above and i think ill use Waterside House as (like you say) Parkfoot is a bit commercial (last time i was there it was full of chavs). Thanks

grumm
    Free Member

That book has some great routes in it. For me the best place in pure riding terms is Grizedale, so many fantastic rocky tracks everywhere (except the North Face Trail). The Grizedale and Esthwaite route in that book is very good

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Where to ride in Lakes?’ is closed to new replies.