Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Where to ride between the Scottish Borders and Nottingham?
  • lucky7500

I’m going to a family event in Southwell next Sunday morning and will be travelling down from the Borders on Saturday. I’m thinking of taking the bike and getting a ride in somewhere on the Saturday. Any ideas appreciated.

AdsUK

The Peak District would be a good bet. You’ll not have too far to drive after the ride then.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Nice riding around Hayfield, not too far off the road south either. Though I’d ride in the North Lakes tbh.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Keilder is en route. Lots there..

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Depends on which way your’e heading down maybe? If your’e going down the A1 you could do something around Swaledale which is 15-20 mins from Scotch Corner, If it’s the M74/M6 you could do something in the North Lakes or the Howgills.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Seeing as you’ll be sticking to the right of the country I’d be thinking about Hamsterley or the peak district depending on whether you want to navigate or not or how long you’d like to drive before the break. Going to the Lakes etc means coming across on yourself which is a bit OTT.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Seeing as you’ll be sticking to the right of the country

Even if the OP is coming from as far East as Peebles, M74/M6 is still the way to go, not the A1.

lucky7500

Thanks for all the replies, my geography of the middle of England is fairly abysmal!! I’ll be leaving from just north of Berwick, so traveling down the A1.
    Ideally I’d like to do the majority of driving before the break, but I’m not completely wedded to that.
    The peak district does seems like a pretty perfect option.Would anyone happen to have any route recommendations for a first timer? I can use maps but also have a garmin gps. 🙂

whitestone
    Free Member

my geography of the middle of England is fairly abysmal

Since you are talking about The North, I’d concur 😆

danti

Kinder all weather route may be a good one what with all the rain we’ve had lately.

https://www.v-publishing.co.uk/blog/v-publishing-blog/2014-01-20—free-download-kinder-all-weather-circuit.html

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Swaledale/Arkengarthdale area, as suggested above. Lovely.

lucky7500

Since you are talking about The North, I’d concur

I told you!! 🙂

lucky7500

danti, Nobeer, that looks exactly the type of ride I was hoping for. Thanks.

lucky7500

Quick update. I did the ride that danti suggested today and it was absolutely fantastic. A really good introduction to the area and and a perfect couple of hours on the bike. I’ll definitely be back down when I have a little more time!!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Where to ride between the Scottish Borders and Nottingham?’ is closed to new replies.