Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Where to buy micro SD cards
  • petrieboy

I need a decent quality SD card for my dash cam. I want a good quality one and I know that often on eBay these things are counterfeit. I’d take the risk for genera use but not for this

So on Amazon if something “dispatched and sold by Amazon” I should be able to trust* that yeah?

*tax affairs aside natch

cranberry
    Free Member

EDIT, because of OP’s ninja edit.

stuey
    Free Member

7dayshop

chewkw
    Free Member

Argos
    PC World
    Maplin
    John Lewis
    WH Smith

Why save on several pounds just to buy from some doggy geezers than to buy from the above stores?

Have a peace of mind buy from the above.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Local camera shop?

ComradeD
    Free Member

Just buy them from Sandisks page on Amazon if you’re worried about them being legit

CraigW
    Free Member

mymemory.co.uk are fine, pretty cheap. Though delivery can take a few days – it seems they send from Jersey or Switzerland, presumably a tax dodge…

GrahamS

Last ones I got I just bought from Amazon:

£17 for a 64GB MicroSDXC UHS-1 SanDisk with an SD adapter.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B013UDL58E/

Not a bad price really. (I’ve used MyMemory in the past too, but I was already ordering from Amazon so this made more sense)

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

+1 for 7dayshop. Got one for a phone which went faulty (probably corrupted by the phone from what I read) & was refunded no probs.

GrahamS

Or of course you could take Chewkw’s excellent advice and pay nearly three times that price at Maplin 😆

deadkenny
    Free Member

Problem is a lot of genuine micro SD cards are crap. They’re very unreliable and have a habit of irreparably dying after a while.

Gone through Kingston, Samsung, Sandisk, PNY and other big names, from reputable sources including direct from manufacturer’s store where they have one. Few have lasted more than a few years.

aikon
    Free Member

I bought a 32gb card for my GPS yesterday from Argos, price was within £2 of Amazon.

GrahamS

All solid state memory will fail eventually but can’t say I’ve ever had problems myself on moderate consumer use of SD and MicroSD cards.

I tend to stick with SanDisk and regularly re-format the cards in the device that will be using them.

CountZero

7dayshop. Never had any issues with their cards. Having said that, I’ve only bought one card for a dashcam, which is working fine, cards I buy for my camera I only use once, then retire it and start a new one.

GrahamS

cards I buy for my camera I only use once, then retire it and start a new one.

WTF?!? 😯

Do you also scrap your car when the ashtray gets full? 😉

chewkw
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member
    Or of course you could take Chewkw’s excellent advice and pay nearly three times that price at Maplin

I bought mine (16GB) during sales from Argos for my dashcam too … 😆

chewkw
    Free Member

From PC World/Curry:
    – SANDISK Ultra Performance Class 10 microSD Memory Card 64 GB, £26.99
    – SANDISK Extreme Class 10 microSDXC Memory Card 64 GB, £39.99

In fact there are cheaper one too … plenty available.

For dashcam – 16GB or 32GB class 10 MicroSD card is good enough.

Compare to my memory … PC World/Curry is about £5-£6 more …

GrahamS

– SANDISK Ultra Performance Class 10 microSD Memory Card 64 GB, £26.99

Or pay £17 from Amazon, as I linked.

wilburt
    Free Member

CZ and Chewk talking nonsense shocker.

GrahamS

Scan Disk 64gb class 10 – £26.99

Yes, or exactly the same card for £17.39 from Amazon!

Am I missing something chewkw?

chewkw
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member

Scan Disk 64gb class 10 – £26.99

Yes, or exactly the same card for £17.39 from Amazon!

Am I missing something chewkw? [/quote]

Think they are almost the same at least the write speed is the same which is all you need for a dashcam.

Of course Amazon is cheaper as Amazon is selling them at a discount now. Normal price at Amazon is about £20.

OP, choose Amazon etc whatever you are happy with. Amazon is cheap but if something goes wrong (unlikely I guess) you still need to send it back etc while if it is from shop you just exchange for a good one … etc.

Cougar

So on Amazon if something “dispatched and sold by Amazon” I should be able to trust* that yeah?

Where a choice is offered, choose the retail packaging over Amazon’s “hassle free” packaging.

Can I have your old ones please? I need something to feed my Pi.

GrahamS

Think they are almost the same at least the write speed is the same

It’s the same card: SanDisk Ultra Class 10/UHS-1.

Where a choice is offered, choose the retail packaging over Amazon’s “hassle free” packaging.

Why’s that Cougar?

I went hassle-free last time. Was nice to be able to get at the card without requiring a scalpel and welding torch to get through the hermetically sealed plastic.

Slightly better for the environment too.

Cougar

Why’s that Cougar?

Less likely to be fakes, I’m told.

GrahamS

Oh right.

Not a problem with the Amazon one, but probably a good point if buying off eBay etc as the hassle-free package would certainly be easier to fake.

Cougar

This was specifically relating to Amazon. Though I can’t be certain of the veracity of the source.

Kuco

I’ve brought several 64gb SanDisk from amazon and haven’t had any issues from them yet.

GrahamS

This was specifically relating to Amazon.

Hmm well that card above is their #1 Bestseller in “Computing”. Pretty sure SanDisk would have something to say if it was hokey. 😀

Maybe it is an issue with folk selling dodgy “second hand” cards through the site? Dunno.

petrieboy

Right, 32g class 10 from SanDisk ordered from Amazon. It’s going to get expensive replacing it every day tho!!

CountZero

CZ and Chewk talking nonsense shocker

Excuse me? Kindly explain exactly where I’m talking nonsense.
    The only thing I’ve posted here is absolutely factually correct.

Can I have your old ones please? I need something to feed my Pi.

Bugger off, they’re all kept as backup, in case some disaster happens all my original photos, other than those taken on my phone, are still available in an uncorrupted form.

GrahamS – Member
    WTF?!?

Do you also scrap your car when the ashtraybgets full?
    See above comment – when I can buy three eight gig cards for £12.93, why would I bother re-using a card, re-formatting increases the possibility of a card failing, and to repeat, using the card until it’s full, then retiring it means I’ve still got the original photos.
    And a pint of decent beer costs about the same as one card; do you recycle your beer by pissing in a glass and drinking it over and over again?

GrahamS

Or you could just buy a 1TB hard drive for about £40 which would have enough room for about 125 of those cards and you’d be able to actually see all your photos and index them in a meaningful way?

Plus there’s a lot less chance you’d lose it between the floorboards. 😀

deadkenny
    Free Member

Wifi sd cards. Stream to another device.

Maybe not a phone though as that will have micro sd and will go tits up also (yet another micro sd is about to die in my phone. It keeps corrupting and so far can salvage it but from past experience it will just give up entirely soon).

jond
    Free Member

>See above comment – when I can buy three eight gig cards for £12.93, why would I bother re-using a card, re-formatting increases the possibility of a card failing, and to repeat, using the card until it’s full, then retiring it means I’ve still got the original photos.

Increasing the chances of it failing ? SD card controllers use a ‘wear levelling’ algorithm – it’s unlikely you’ll hit a problem in normal use. Maybe if you were running a continuous memory read/write test on one…!

If you’re using them as your only backup, I’d suggest a usb drive caddy and a 1-3Tb drive for some redundancy. Can’t beat a bit of extra redundancy. And as mentioned, better accessibility.

aracer
    Free Member

er, but you were suggesting buying from PC World! I know which one I’d prefer to deal with in the event of a problem, and in case it needs pointing out, it’s not PC World (I’ve no direct experience with them as I avoid being in that position, but have heard plenty of tales and my experience with Amazon has been excellent).

deadkenny
    Free Member

jond – Member 
    SD card controllers use a ‘wear levelling’ algorithm – it’s unlikely you’ll hit a problem in normal use.

Wear levelling is not in the spec for SD cards, though big names possibly/probably do include some form of it. No where near as advanced as the algorithms in a proper SSD drive though, but maybe some. They do use a lot of error correction though, especially with high density micro SD when the density and quality control of production is going to lead to a degree of accepted errors. It’s just as the cells further die the error correction calculations increase, performance reduces and eventually unrecoverable errors occur.

The bigger killer to SD cards is probably power loss though. Frequent yanking out of devices without dismount/shutdown or devices crashing doesn’t help.

Also I often experience severe slow downs or plain unavailability of the card at times, which itself causes corruption as the OS is trying to write and fails, card comes back and it writes partial data, and it all gets in a mess.

What you really want is SLC flash memory SD cards. These are industrial certified, lower density than consumer grade MLC cards and far more reliable. Downside is they’re a lot more expensive and smaller capacity.

andy8442
    Free Member

7 DayShop.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Where to buy micro SD cards’ is closed to new replies.