Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • where to mountain bike between Newcastle and Edinburgh
  • andykentos
    Free Member

Hi

I am returning from Austria in a few weeks and getting the ferry into Newcastle, the last few years i have driven up to Perth via Glen Tress or Innerleithen. Is there anywhere else worth visiting on the way instead? Had thought about trying Kielder as that seems kind of on the way.

Doesnt need to be a trail centre as such but something with a decent set of bike trails would be good.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

DickBarton

Glentress is likely to get a fair number of mentions…it is between but more Edinburgh.
    Innerleithen is quieter (but just 5 mins from Glentress…)

jonba
    Free Member

There is a lot around the Cheviots. I’m not the best person to point out where but around Wooler for route planning purposes.

There is a fair bit in the borders as well but none of it marked an may be quite hard to find on your own if only going once and pushed for time.

Kielder can be good if you like the riding it offers. It is getting more like Glentress in terms of what it offers but it is more about big XC rides in wide open country in my experience compared to GT being more about berms jumps and drops. I love Kielder – riding the Lonesome pine trail then going over the border to Newcastleton is one of my favourite rides – but not everyone likes it. Also it is exposed in lots of places so a bit grim in the wet/wind.

jonba
    Free Member

Do a google search for “cheviots singletrackworld” and all the old threads come up!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘where to mountain bike between Newcastle and Edinburgh’ is closed to new replies.