• This topic has 25 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by chaos.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Where to live near Poole/Bournemouth
  • jonm81

Title says it all really. I may well be accepting a job between Weymouth and Poole next week and am looking for advice on where to live. Current thoughts are around Corfe Mullen, Wimbourne or the Kinson area of Bournemouth as my wife would be working in Bournemouth. So questions are:

Where is nice in the area to live?
    Where should I avoided like the plague?
    What is the traffic like heading west from those areas outlined?
    What is the riding like down that way?
    Where is there to climb other than Swanage?

All opinions welcome.
    Jon

benjbish

loads of nice areas. You’re right about the Wimborne, Corfe Mullen areas. Look at Ferndown as well and Merley. Kinson is a different type of place and is right in the thick of it for traffic purposes but obviously is closer to it all.

Riding is more XC style around Purbecks, Wareham Forest, Cranborne Chase, Ringwood Forest and the New Forest.

Don’t know much about climbing.

Feel free to email me.

Hope this helps

TheBrick
    Free Member

Wimborne is quite a nice place with enough going on. Bourmouth / poole is unfortunatly a bit crap as an urban area for its size. Can’t comment on massivly or in detail about traffic as I am further east but heading west from the west side of the combination is not too bad in my experience.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TheBrick
    Free Member

Riding wise head west!

piha
    Free Member
    joblessmonkeyboy
    Free Member

Wimbourne, Corfemullen and Broadstone all very nice but expencive! Canford Heath, Creekmoor and Parkstone not quite as nice but better VFM.. The Riding is good when you learn the linking trails as its fairly rural. Road riding is excellent on quiet country back roads. Traffic going west is fine unless theres and accident or major roadworks as theres limited routes. I think there are a number of climbing sites all along the jurassic coast but im not a climber so just what ive heard..

DT78
    Free Member

Lived in Ferndon worked in Poole for a while. Unless you do shift work and can travel outside rush hours traffic is bad. Traffic west in summer is awful. I’d aim for somewhere like Christchurch with a view to commute along the seafront. Wouldn’t recommend a commute from purbecj to Bournemouth either. Riding is okay. If gravity stuff is more your thing Blandford was good (might have closed?) I also enjoyed Puddletown woods. Train an option?

Yak

Climbing – loads going west from Swanage/Durlston Country Park, multi-pitch trad, massively steep sport, easy sport and trad, and best of all, deep water soloing at top spots like Conner Cove, Stair Hole etc. Portland too for sport and some dws too.

Also the best pub in the world – The Square and Compass at Worth Matravers.

Don’t forget Charlie’s Gravel Dash too – a grand day out.

No idea about where to live though, sorry.

Wimborne. Handy for the A31 and a better class of yobbo.

I do a ride Mondays from nearby Colehill and Fridays from Merley (Dorset Rough Riders)

Avoid Turlin Moor at all costs.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I’d aim for somewhere like Christchurch

If your job is between Weymouth and Poole do not go for Christchurch! It will take you an age!

jonm81

Cheers for the comments. Traffic hopefully shouldn’t pose too much of a problem, unless it is truly horrendous, as I would be mostly commuting on a motorbike. Commuting by train (usually discount train automatically as I am used to southeast ticket prices) is an option as there is a station in Wool about a mile from work.

Good to hear there are options for riding. XC is good for me although being fat and slow anything would do! There seems to be a lack of indoor climbing but plenty of outdoor stuff which sounds good.

I will have a look at the other areas suggested. Any opinion on the Upton area of Poole?

If your job is between Weymouth and Poole do not go for Christchurch! It will take you an age!

We will definitely sticking to the west side of Bournemouth.

End of thread/

Nice but no garage for vehicles or workshop for frame building. Plus about £200k over my budget.

jfb01
    Free Member

Broadstone,if you are planning on joining the Dorset Rough Riders.

andysmiff1
    Free Member

I’ve lived this way forever……originally Bournemouth growing up, then Wimborne and Merley.

Live in Merley at the mo – 2 mins from Wimborne, 15 mins from Poole and 20 mins tops to Bournemouth.

Agree – nice areas are Wimborne/Merley/Broadstone and Corfe Mullen.

Riding can be good at puddletown forest – 30 mins ish from Wimborne, but heading out Weymouth way so you could grab some cheeky trails on the way home!

A

jerrys
    Free Member

there is a station in Wool about a mile from work.

Winfrith?

gary

This – while my practical experience is years out of date (grew up living in Broadstone) I don’t suppose its got better!!

For the commuting you mention, somewhere around Wimborne/Corfe Mullen is probably a good compromise and sets you up nicely for riding opportunities. That may depend a bit on where precisely in Bmth your wife needs to get to though.

jonm81

Looks like there are some nice houses for sale in the Canford Heath and Creekmoor areas although the schools around there look a bit under-performing. Will have a look at the Merley/Oakley area too.

Winfrith?

Yep, that’s the place.

That may depend a bit on where precisely in Bmth your wife needs to get to though.

She is a relief pharmacist for a big chain so would be all over the Bournemouth area.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Born in Poole, lived in Bournemouth for 23 years . West Dorset is lovely but glad I left.

Up The Cherries In All Departments!

andysmiff1
    Free Member

For good schools look at Merley and Wimborne catchment.

Not so great in creekmoor/canford Heath – and avoid parkstone schools….

Job at winfrith – Atlas?

A

We moved back down to Wimborne 2 yrs ago after a long spell in’t North. Great area to live in, not much gradient though on local rides but stunning scenery.

Traffic is pretty bad across Bournemouth, Poole etc, though I commute to Winchester every day which brings its own joys, especially the caravans in the summer 👿

CSFL
    Free Member

Evening, I suspect I might know where you’re going to be working! 😉 the train station is a PITA as its nearly 25 minute walk to work unless you bring a bike with you. At this tims of year I always envy those that live East of work as they don’t have the low sun in their eyes all the way to work. There are those that like Wareham but we rented there when we first moved down ten years ago and nearly went mad. Swanage is lovely, and your commute would be idyllic, but your Mrs Wong thank you for hers. Wimborne, nice but no train so a paint to meet your mates for a beer in town. Most of the villages are nice if you like that sort of thing, tbh if u are used to the south east, I’d go for westbound, nice bit in the middle between Poole and Bournemouth. Plenty of climbing and riding around, give me a shout when you start. Unless I bump into you first. 🙂

CSFL
    Free Member

Ahem, typos! Westbourne

jambalaya
    Free Member

Climbing on Portland too. Before deciding on place to live trial run the commute on a work day during rush hour.

jonm81

Cheers for all the comments. Lots of good info to consider. We will almost definitely be moving to between Bournemouth and Poole but will likely rent for a bit until we find something suitable to buy.

CSFL, hoping to start around the 1st March (pending all the necessary paperwork). Will give you a shout when I start and likely bump in to you at some point thereafter.

pinkwafer

Pick up a copy of the Dorset Rockfax, £25 and it’s got all you need to know in it regarding climbing for Portland, Winspit, and Swanage.

jonm81

Following some of the advice on here we have now got a house in Ferndown. I am hoping this area is a good choice. So now I know where we are going to be living, can anyone recommend things to do in the area such as:

Good places to eat?
    Somewhere for my wife to meet people (mother toddler groups, etc.)?
    Any decent nurseries?
    Things to do with a 18 month old on Saturdays?
    Is there a good leisure pool nearby?

Cheers
    Jon

chaos

I expect you’ll get very familiar with Moors Valley Park as your kid(s) grow up. Well worth getting a season ticket for the parking and a kids bike trailer although you can hire them there as well.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Where to live near Poole/Bournemouth’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts