Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 135 total)
  • Where to live near London….
  • binners

They’re nearly there already, aren’t they? I thought anywhere worth living in London has already been socially cleased of frightful poor people?

Aren’t the mainly immigrant, worker drones now all crammed into converted garden sheds and garages in one of the gleaming metropolises many virtually uninhabitable shitholes, where they can be conveniently ignored and ruthlessly exploited?

mudshark
    Free Member

You wonder where all the toilet cleaners in London live.

Thamesmead?

DrJ

I suddenly feel very poor in relation to the Singletrack massive and their half a mill property portfolios!

Maybe I was exaggerating to make a point … 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    numbnut
    Free Member

This sold recenly for £275k.

I’m amazed anyone can afford to live in London these days without a flat share. One of my current projects is a new build block of flats in Lewisham 😯 and the 2 beds will be going for £380k. Nice views of the railway line though.

DrJ

I have a old shoe box I’m selling for only £100,000

Interested DrJ?

Does it have a lid? Let’s talk …..

binners

The lid’s an extra 50k I’m afraid

DrJ

The lid’s an extra 50k I’m afraid

Still – if it’s a decent lid, there may be room to negotiate …

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I work for a central London Law firm (contraray to popular opinion they don’t all pay crazy high wages).

We’ve had an email around basically asking where we’d like to live because they’re opening up more regional offices due to the cost of living (and renting office space) in London.

They can’t be the only company doing this.

aP
    Free Member

I was recently talking with a senior partner from a large consultancy and they’ve recently opened or significantly expanded their regional offices to take on the workload that they can’t manage in their London office, and because regional staff and offices are cheaper!

mrmoofo

We will surely end up with worker shanty towns on the less desirable areas of the south coast and the lucky few will be bussed to work 2 hours after they arrive home.

A little unkind to Hastings …..

hora
    Free Member

The toilet cleaners?

When I first moved to London a warehouse admin was renting out her 2bed council flat in Nottinghill to subletters for 600 whilst she lived with her boyfriend in another council property. She joked that she also claimed some benefits. I was on peanuts living in a bedsit with a communal toilet.

£600- in 1998. Cant have been a pokey flat either in Notting hill.

brooess
    Free Member

I sense there is actually a flight from London going on which could leave a lot of sellers high and dry until they lower their expectations due to simple lack of buyers.
    And once the news comes through that prices are falling more than over just one month, you can expect buyers of all sorts – FTB and foreign investment – to sit on their hands and wait – it’s what people do in deflationary environments – why buy today when it’ll be cheaper in a month. The exact opposite of the panic buying this time last year…

The flight seems to be coming from multiple sources:
    1. Owners who’ve been here for years selling up and moving to the sticks for a bigger house and no mortgage. It’s realistic to do this as you can work from home more easily and therefore a long commute is not such a downside to the decision as you don;t do it every day and even then you can work on the train. It means one more house on the market in London and one less buyer, somewhat changing the supply/demand balance.
    2. FTB who simply can’t afford a thing buying further out – Bromley, Sutton, Chelmsford etc
    3. Companies employing graduates in the regions rather than the graduates moving to London – companies simply can’t afford to pay the salaries the new graduates need to live in London anymore

We have to think through the implications of this for London. If you live in London you tend to go places after work – gym, eating out, drinking, shopping etc but when you live out, the long commute home and the need to get up early tomorrow means you go straight home. So any significant flight will have an impact on all kinds of areas of the London economy…

A crash will kick confidence badly but a steady fall over 5 years back to an average price more like 300/350k instead of £500k would be healthy. If only to remind people that house prices don;t carry on upwards for ever, which a lot of people now believe as that’s all they know from the last 15 years

bentudder

I suddenly feel very poor in relation to the Singletrack massive and their half a mill property portfolios!

You’re probably not that poor compared to the Southern shandy drinkers here. In terms of disposable income, you might well be a lot better off.

Everything’s expensive. Housing, food shopping, transport, the lot. I would *love* to not have London on my doorstep, but the industry I’m in is very London-centric. It’s a little late for me to move (Manchester’s looking a bit more viable now the BBC has moved there) – Udderlet 1 is at school now, and we’ve got elderly parents local to us to keep an eye on (and involve in the Udderlet’s lives) too. Being free of a mortgage, or in a fancier, bigger house somewhere else for the same dosh would be amazing – but it won’t happen any time soon.

Owning a house that’s expensive isn’t different from owning the same house somewhere where it’s cheap – except that the builders are more expensive, more of your salary goes on mortgage payments and, as a consequence, your disposable income is absolutely honking. Now I own a house, I’m desperately hoping the crash Brooess predicts doesn’t happen (mind you, I heard similar when buying my first flat about ten years ago. There’s been a correction, but no crash) – the money I should be putting into a pension and into my family’s wellbeing is locked up in a house and a big old loan to pay for it.

Apologies if this sounds like a sob story – it isn’t. I’m bloody lucky to have an amazing Mrs Udder and lovely Udderlets, live in a beautiful bit of the world and do a job which is varied and satisfying for an employer that seems to be happy with me. Bonkers house prices are the, well, price I pay for living here.

hora
    Free Member

As opposed to someone walking round/creaking the floorboards of the ceiling above you and next door having a loud party. Then you get up tired and walk down to the station to load up your average salary onto your Oyster card before pressing your groin into the bloke infront of you on the crowded tube. Luckily on the way back you have a womans bussom pressed against your back this time.

London rocks if you are rich. For everyone else, admit it- its a grind 5 days of the week.

jambalaya
    Free Member

London is a bubble- rich people don’t want tiny flats

“Rich” people like a place close to the office/shops/cultural attractions, if they can only get a small place that’s what they buy. London is where most of the good jobs are and where foreigners want to live / make investments for their kids. London looks cheap to Chinese and Hong Kong-ers and the flats here are larger than they are used to. I’m living in central London and there are large numbers of retired/close to retired people who’ve owned their flats for many years and have another larger place now outside London. The place I am renting is owned by a person who is living in a large house outside London which costs 25% of that the flat is worth.

@zippy
    there is lots of council / social housing in central London. Where I live there are more such units than private market residences (as they are higher density) and the rents are 20% of open market rents.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 135 total)

The topic ‘Where to live near London….’ is closed to new replies.