Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Where to live in Sheff/surrounding area?
  • munrobiker
    Free Member

Me and the woman live in Sheffield (Stannington/Loxley) at the moment, she works in Sheff but can’t drive (though she will be learning, but whether we get a car depends).

She’s just got a job offer to work in Manchester (Oxford Road) so we need to move as we’re too far from the station here.

So, we’d like suggestions of good places to be to get her to Manch (ideally by train, but if we need a car to save money, so be it) and I’d like to be within an hour and a half of Leeds- my office is there but I’m there only once a week and I drive all over the country with no real base.

We’d like somewhere that’s not in the city, I’m not too bothered about trails on the doorstep as I leave a bike in my van, but within 20 minutes would be nice.

And finally, we’d be renting.

nickhart
    Free Member

Not being funny but it sounds like you’re in the best place already. If the good lady learns to drive then drop into rivelin valley and straight over the snake.
    If the learning to drive becomes an arse I’d still live that side of the city (I’m in rivelin) and just drop into hillsborough for the tram. It’s all time dependant I guess but that’d be my ten penneth.

docrobster
    Free Member

I suppose if she ends up having to commute to Manc by train regularly then close to Dore station would be ideal.
    Not the cheapest part of town though.
    Handy for the bike tree too..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    munrobiker
    Free Member

We had a look into cars last night and doubt we can afford one. Sadly the train journeys all take an hour even from Dore and are very expensive.

We were looking at Greenfield/Stalybridge- anyone got any opinions on these other than it rains a lot?

Personally I think that Marsden/Slaithwaite looks the most sensible bet, but it’s whether I could live there. It’s also terrifyingly close to my parents, which the woman does not like the sound of!

cp

Stalybridge isn’t exactly Sheffield!

You’re currently in a great location if you were both driving – very easy access to Manchester & to Leeds without having to cross Sheffield for either of you.

If car & train are too expensive, then you might need to move to Manchester… or get her to bike to work 🙂

HermanShake
    Free Member

My Mrs and I have plans to move Sheffward. We’re thinking about the Ecclesall/Sharrow Vale bit.

May be good for you as it’s close to the station, straight down the road to get into the Peak 😀

cp

getting from ecclesall to leeds means crossing sheff & that is just a world of pain at rush hour.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Ah yes, should have paid more attention.

jfletch
    Free Member

Can you not get the train to Leeds as well or do you need to drive.

Then anywhere near Dore station will be ideal. Its not that much longer on the train to Manc than the express from the city center if you include the time taken to get to the main station on the bus/tram (assuming you don’t want to live in the city center).

The commute to Leeds is then a train with one change, bus/cycle to Sheffield station or a drive of well under your threshold of 1.5 hrs.

Its a very nice part of the country as well, trails and the peak district literally on your doorstep. Not cheap though.

But if you haven’t really any huge draw to live in Sheffield then its not really the ideal place to commute to Manc and Leeds. Then again the peaks on your doorstep is quite a big draw.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

LUKE WHAT ABOUT HOPE?

munrobiker
    Free Member

Cruz- we’re looking into it too. That’d be the ideal but depends how pricey the train is.

Sadly I do, genuinely, HAVE to drive- van full of stuff to cart about.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Where to live in Sheff/surrounding area?’ is closed to new replies.