Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • Where to live in Scotland?
  • somafunk

Dumfries & Galloway is a pretty decent place to live, the house prices in my home town are relatively decent and we have the isolated/deserted Galloway hills on our doorstep, 3 of 7stanes trails within 30mins drive and fantastic coastline.

All sad and dejected remainers most welcome

thenorthwind
    footflaps

Moray – 02:39 Leave 49.9, Remain 50.1%

Bit close, almost let the side down!

duckman

The Kingdom of Fife. McMoonter lives there, to give you a flavour of your future life. Fife is all beautiful coast, quiet villages nestling at the foot of rolling hills and residents that welcome the outside world.

Fife is a post industrial wasteland that they had to tidy before filming shots from wwz there. The sound of banjos will accompany your every move and 11 fingered Cyclops have just discovered fire…Which is bad news for you as you will be getting stuffed in a wickerman come the solstice. FTFY

matt_outandabout

I may have been a bit sarcastic when posting my statement about Fife… 😉

swavis

Moray – 02:39 Leave 49.9, Remain 50.1%
    Bit close, almost let the side down!

Wasn’t me I can assure you, I only know about 3 leavers…

I think the problem was like folk my apprentice who didn’t know what they were voting for so just didn’t bother 😕

miketually
    Free Member

Moray is probably where we’d head as my Grandad was from Elgin and we have family round there. I’d guess the close vote there was down to retired RAF?

swavis

Possibly, there’s also now a large army population at Kinloss now, although I’m not sure how that would have affected it.

Moray is a great place to live and anyone who voted leave around here don’t know how lucky they are I reckon.

miketually
    Free Member

Possibly, there’s also now a large army population at Kinloss now, although I’m not sure how that would have affected it.

A colleague is ex-Raf and maintains separate Facebook profiles for current friends and military friends. The military feed was absolutely full of Leave, and he was very much the lone Remain voice there.

Moray is a great place to live and anyone who voted leave around here don’t know how lucky they are I reckon.

We go on holiday every other year and love it.

donald
    Free Member

And unhappy fishermen.

miketually
    Free Member

Found a house we can afford in Lossiemouth. Just need to find a job teaching ICT/computing/maths/physics for me and a primary SENCO role for my wife and I’m set 😉

matt_outandabout

Mike – Moray are *desperate* for teachers, as are Highland and Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire….
    I know a SENCO type role coming up at Speyside High…

bellerophon
    Free Member

I can recommend the Scottish Borders, well maybe not Hawick 😉 as being a brilliant place to live and bring up kids, and if you don’t have kids, then a brilliant place to live 🙂

swavis

Aberlour Primary is looking for a new Head I believe.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’m from Huddersfield and used to live in Fife. It’s a bit meh, some bits are very pretty but there’s no jobs and some are hideous and there’s no jobs.

The nearest equivalent is Dundee, when I moved to Fife Dundee was awful but its turnaround in the last decade has been remarkable and it’s a great, cheap place to live.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Quite like Nicola, is she looking for a housemate?

dragon
    Free Member

Before you get too excited by the positives like outdoor access, it’s probably worth looking at the negatives.

1) If a house costs as little as Ford Focus then it isn’t because its nice or in a great area.
    2) Pests – midges, ticks and yanks in tartan all ruin the Scottish outdoor experience.
    3) Weather, Scotland doesn’t have a summer. July & August are often cold and wet.
    4) Competitive sport, Scotland once a player in competitive world sport seems to have given up of late and is happy with below average quality football, rugby etc.
    5) The Old Firm a lesson in how to behave appallingly to each other.

highlandman
    Free Member

Another vote for Dundee- has a LOT going for it, more so with the developments, science & tech jobs, universities here and nearby. Add in spectacular trails, kayaking, skiing/boarding/ski-touring nearby; quiet road cycling on fair surfaces. Mountains. Climbing.
    You can choose to live cheaply in the city or cheaper in places where cycle commuting is practical.
    Climate is dry by Scottish standards and there are less midges than in the west. Torridon is about 4 hours away, Kinlochleven 3, northern Cairngorms 2; Angus glens less and good trails on the edge of the city in the Sidlaws, where the hardest round in the Scottish XC calendar used to be held. I love it here. Now, when is that next independence vote to be…?

highlandman
    Free Member

It’s been stunning here since the beginning of April; most of the time, dry, dusty trails and cool days of very long daylight. Scotland’s summer is frequently April-June.
    Over on the west coast, it’s been even warmer and drier than here this year; how about the conditions at Ft Bill for the DH world cup?

Then it rains for much of July & August…..

And as for sport on the world stage, how about kayaking and athletics? Team GB for athletics is awash with Scots runners. Top 20 men at London Marathon: 3 Ethiopians; 4 Kenyans; 4 Scots!
    At Glencoe ski area last Saturday, it was like some kind of outdoor festival. DH racing under the access chairlift. 200 ultra runners and their individual support crews passing through on the West Highland Way race. 40 skiers and boarders climbing up to have a midsummer slide. And an estimated 100 parascenders making the most of the hot sun and cool breeze to get some serious air over the glen. Happy days.

onehundredthidiot

miketually. You’d walk into a job in Hawick high school that’s a skill set we really need.

ghastlyrabbitfat
    Free Member

Bizarrely was only looking at prices in Dumfries yesterday. Get quite a lot of house for your money, as well as having good trail centres not too far off.

An hour south and you have The Lakes, an hour north you have Arran. Unfortunately I’m stuck in Manchester for the next five years so the wall might be too high when Escape is possible.

onlysteel
    Free Member

Fife, you say? Make sure you choose the right end.

miketually
    Free Member

miketually. You’d walk into a job in Hawick high school that’s a skill set we really need.

It’s very tempting right now.

athgray
    Free Member

Peebles.

moonsaballoon

I live in Glasgow and think it ticks loads of boxes for a combination of city life and easy access to the great outdoors . Having said that would love to move my family to peebles , seems such a great little community . Bridge of Allen seems really nice when I go there to ride dumyat , Biggar always looks really nice to but have only ever driven through it

thebees
    Free Member

Flounce, flounce, flounce, flounce……….
    Enjoy the weather and shut the door behind you if your wrists are strong enough.

kcal

mike, as above you’d waltz into Elgin Academy I’m sure — pretty sure they’re looking for that skill set.
    I can check for you – A-M is on the school council..

properbikeco
    Free Member

Hi mikeactually,

as a fellow secondary STEM subject teacher can I echo the above that both you and SO are in significant demand from almost any rural area in Scotland.
    Take your time to be choosy about where you would like to be based.
    I’m down in D&G if you want any more assistance.

somafunk

As above, D&G are crying out for decent teachers at the moment

kcal

.. update, Elgin Academy to re-advertise Maths post after summer..

contact details in profile mike!

allfankledup

Glasgow for curry – charcoals or the wee curry shop for some good stuff there

South ayrshire has decent access to some nice road riding and not a million miles from a variety of trail centres etc. not a bad base with some decent house prices kicking about in the area

Patna for the most aggressive midges I’ve ever encountered, never mind the locals

Lothian’s in Ardrossan for the best slice

Other places in Scotland are available.

epicyclo

Apparently there are so many people coming to Scotland that the Scottish govt is having to acquire extra land.

The UK govt is sellng them 2 counties. The UK PM is not quite sure where they are, but apparently somewhere called “oop north”. The USP is that they come with a ready made border wall (which may need some repair).

Concern was raised about the welfare of the natives of these counties, but it appears this will be no problem because most of them have recently voted to Leave.

In return Scotland is giving the UK 2 unfinished aircraft carriers and some nuclear submarines and the SNP manual “Democracy for Dummies”.

NZCol

^ I’ve been there a lot, don’t believe everything you read!

lazybike
    Free Member

Angus Glens for me…Glen Prosen will do nicely

thegreatape
    Free Member

Glencoe isn’t too shabby. It’ll do me anyway.

Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Where to live in Scotland?’ is closed to new replies.