• This topic has 65 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Where to live in between Todmorden and Manchester?
  • hora
    Free Member

Must be close to a train station and rural without **** pikeys

ourmaninthenorth

without **** pikeys

GLWT in North Manchester….

baronspudulike
    Free Member

You could live in Cragg Vale and drive 10mins over the moors to Littleborough station. Not quite between Tod and Manchester but close.

hora
    Free Member

Has to be very close to a train or tram station. The lovely Mshora can never be allowed near a car (carnage and mayhem are only two words that spring to mind)..

hora
    Free Member

uplink – Member

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/tocs_maps/maps/network_rail_maps.html

You need to narrow it down a tad fella

uplink
    Free Member

I was merely giving you a map so that you could see where any station may be – but never mind

I was leaving the actual decision of where you live to you, a bit left field, I know

pk-ripper
    Free Member

Croydon

hora
    Free Member

Ta uplink 😉

I’d love to live in Outlane, Uppermill etc but neither/none have any transport links for the evil other half 🙁

uplink
    Free Member

it’s too windy for trains at Outlane – it’s too windy for grass even

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

there’s a few properties in Rochdale for sale (Rooley Moor, Norden, Littleborough etc so close to rural)

Littleborough is handy for the train and (sort of) round the corner from tod.

hora
    Free Member

Rooley Moor- is it worth a drive round Rooley Moor? I always associate ‘Rochdale’ with the national unemployment stat!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Todmorden, so good they named it after death. Twice.

snowslave

Everyone that lives in the countryside is mad. Stay in Manchester and visit it to ride your bike!

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

There’s some nice houses towards the top of Rooley Moor (Once you’ve gone past the Council estate at the bottom of the road!)

There’s a few for sale round where we are, ranging from £100K for a 3 bed semi to £300K for 5 Bed Detached.

There’s Mountain Ash, Stonehill Drive and Elm Park. With Lane Head Hamlet at the top of the top (not sure if any are for sale at Lane Head at the moment) or off the Caldershaw Estate (nearer Norden).

The Elm Park properties were built in the late 60’s and really are a good size for what you pay.

marsdenman
    Free Member

Hora – Uppermill is hardly between the two…..? but, move to the correct end of the village and its a 10 min walk to Greenfield station. Also then, consider Greenfield but the station position is such that, unless you get a place on Shaw Hall Bank Road, its 10 mins or more to the station
    Another left-fielder – you wont get much more rural than Marsden …. there’s a railway station in the village, property cheaper than the Uppermill side of the hill….. nothing like what i’d say was between Tod and M’cr though…

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

mm, the problem with uppermill/greenfield is that it’s still so expensive.

That was one of the reasons I moved from Saddleworth to Norden in Rochdale which is very similar to Greenfield (apart from lack of train station, but good bus connections to Manchester etc).

lowey

Bromley Cross, Bolton.

hora
    Free Member

marsdenman- no no, in an ideal world. As we need to be near public transport for mshora due to her inability to understand how a car works. Lovely and all but batty as’ when it comes to a car.

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

hora – ygm!

marsdenman
    Free Member

Sorry Hora, lost me with that one – are you saying Marsden is not ideal – tis rural and comes with its own railway station (MrsMM commutes to Bolton every day by train, we’re a 5 min walk from the station, there’s plenty of property closer to the station than us…), it even has lovely coffee shops to keep MsHora amused whilst you are out on the bike 🙂
    Or is it that its too far out in terms of the M’cr / Todd thing?
    Note – we’re not desparate for friends 🙂 its just this really is a great place to live!

Mossley is on the same train line, next station in towards M’cr after Greenfield, fringes of the villages are rural but those are the bits farthest from the station. After that you are into the M’cr conurbation….

Newhey and Milnrow are more what i would say were between Todd and M’cr (based on route I would drive there).
    Both have train stations running to M’cr, and both are right on a junction for the M62 if you need it, Todd is in easy reach, only issue is rural bits are on the fringes so not exactly next door to the railway stations……

marsdenman
    Free Member

Just had a thought – haven’t you asked the same (or similar) question before a few months ago?

sam42
    Free Member

Not Bury.

hora
    Free Member

That was more north Manchester though/Preswitch etc.

sam42
    Free Member

True, but still i’d avoid it… 😀

hora
    Free Member

No offence to anyone in Bury but I AGREE!

sam42
    Free Member

I live there!

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

Bury’s got a better shopping centre than Rochdale!

hora
    Free Member

Shop for what? Iceland, Farmfoods and Aldi? 🙄

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

all of the above! 😀

fubar
    Free Member

Well you came to Smithy Bridge to pick up a Kona off me…no good ? That is the 1st stop out of manchester on that train-line that I’d live in (without driving).

TBH Littleborough is much better (I’ve moved here now) …just one more stop; It has enough shops / take-aways etc…25 / 30 minutes to manchester by train and good riding on your doorstep.

Next stop is Walsden…think more trains miss out Walsden during the day and also as it is outside manchester the train is a lot more expensive.

Next stop Tod….

On the other line (oldham loop) be aware that, as I understand, it will be shut whilst they make it a tram line….though it could be a great benefit once it’s done.

hora
    Free Member

I bought my Subaru from a copper in Littleborough, that and Smithy Bridge just strikes me as too much suburbia- no offence! Unless there are parts more quaint/rural.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Don’t come to Accrington-

Its shite.

Good riding straight from the door, but other than that, It has nowt going for it..

hora
    Free Member

I want to move to Lesbionia 😥

fubar
    Free Member

No your right – don’t come to Littleborough.
    [Phew – started to get worried when I remembered the house next door is for sale]

hora
    Free Member

Next door you say?…. MY SO was looking for sympathetic neighbours for her evening drum kit and metal tribute band tune ups and I could practice my carpentry hobbie at peace knowing we have nice neighbours…

fatblokeattheback
    Free Member

I want to move to Lesbionia

Go on, you know it makes sense!

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

hora – Member

Next door you say?…. MY SO was looking for sympathetic neighbours for her evening drum kit and metal tribute band tune ups and I could practice my carpentry hobbie at peace knowing we have nice neighbours…
    Posted 5 minutes ago

In that case, forget what I said earlier about Rooley Moor! 😀

hora
    Free Member

Go on, you know it makes sense! Jez, I know I know. Its the GF, shes not having it (STILL). Ps. Whats happening next weekend with the Lakes ride? I know a Cumbrian local who would probably ride it as well.

fatblokeattheback
    Free Member

No idea about the Lakes ride as yet, been trying to talk myself out of it, got a 40th birthday party on Sat!

Have sent a text to the OP of the ride to see what is happening and will get in touch when I find out for def.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Where to live in between Todmorden and Manchester?’ is closed to new replies.