• This topic has 91 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Nick.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)
  • Where to live: Conwy, Cardiff, or Shrewsbury?
  • Sue_W
    Free Member

Lucky to have a reasonable degree of flexibility about where I can live for my job, and trying to re-build my life at the end of a very long-term relationship, so am contemplating where to set up home and start life anew.

Does anyone have any experience of living in / near Conwy, Cardiff or Shrewsbury? They all meet the criteria of being close to one of my offices and on a train line, but what about other aspects: safety? quality and affordability of housing? social groups (especially cycling – road, off-road and touring, but also mountaineering)? classes (eg yoga etc)? what are they like to live in if you're an outdoors type single lass who just entering her forties?

Any opinions on the pro's and con's of these places much appreciated 🙂

Talkemada
    Free Member

Ooh, my mate Kevevs on here lives in Deganwy, which is just across from Conwy. He's the best person to tell you all about that place I'd imagine. I can't speak for the other two places, but Conwy is lovely. Plenty of amenities in Llandundo, and 'getting away from it all' only takes a few minutes. The local countryside truly is beautiful. I've not been to Cardiff or Shrewsbury, but they're both much larger towns, no?

I understand housing is cheap in the Llandudno area. Loads of outdoorsy activities, and clubs I'd imagine. For what you're asking for, I'd say it's probably spot on.

I think Kevevs might be single, too… 😉

Nick

Dunno, I live nr Shrewsbury and like it, plenty of excellent riding on the doorstep with only a short drive to Wales etc. Obviously it has some crummy bits but I feel that it probably has an excellent standard of living vs cost of living. Couple of big road and mtb cycling clubs (Shropshire Wheelers & Wild Wednesday Wheelers)

Conway is very close to the Carneddau and Snowdonia, but as a town it doesn't offer anything like what Shrewsbury does. Road links are pretty good. Nice castle.

This would put me off Cardiff a bit…

djcombes
    Free Member

Shrewsbury. Shropshire is ace. Lovely county IMO.

Elmo
    Free Member

+1 for the Shropshire option!

deft
    Free Member

Conwy itself is nice, but some places suffer from Rhyl's 'overflow' and hundreds of natty holiday parks

That end of the Carneddau is great though and usually empty

armchairbiker

+1 for Shrewsbury. I moved there 5 years ago from Surrey. Nice town, got a nice feel to it, though some of it could do with a tidy up….

Close enough to Wales, Manchester, Birmingham and still has decent riding. Direct train to London too.

You also have two good bike shops as well as leisure lakes in Wolverhampton, and that branch actually has staff who live in Shropshire so they know their stuff.

And if you think about bringing up children in the future, the schools are generally high std – though choose the right side of town (hint: the side with the bike shops)

Kevevs
    Free Member

Hi Sue

I'm here in Conwy (Deganwy) and work in Llandudno. I grew up in this area but lived in Hull and all over London for many years before coming back here a couple of years ago.

It's very safe and easygoing, a lot slower and relaxed compared to a large city, many people are a bit older and retired.

I don't know what you're after in the way of housing but I rent a 1 bed flat in a big victorian building for £350 pcm, and it's in a very sought after area with fab views. I'm guessing that's cheap!

Local estate agents- http://www.anthonyflint.co.uk/

I've got involved with a local MTB group http://northwalesmtb.proboards.com/
    who are a real mix of ages male and female (some late 30,40+) and organise local rides as well as a monthly BIG forum ride. Friendly and helpful.

There's a roadie club- http://www.rhoscycling.com/
    That do a social ride on a Sunday up towards Betws-y-coed from nearby and they do other more compettitive riding.

Loadss of mountaineering/walking clubs. (me and some mates have formed one of our own!)

As an outdoorsy person it's a perfect area to live I reckon if you don't mind welsh weather! You're just down the A55 from Lpool, Chester and MChester if you want to Get a city Culture fix.

I dunno what you need to know really, email me if u got any questions
    kevinevsATyahooDOTcoDotuk

Talkemada
    Free Member

There he is! 😀

Ooh ooh Kev; you forgot to mention…

WAVES IN THE BIG POOL!

I like Conwy/Llandudno. Mind, I'm a Londoner, so it's nice to get away somewhere quiet now and then. That part of North Wales is spectacular, it really is lovely. Proper mountains. And you'd have the option of a quick pootle, or a proper epic. Nice to just walk around, too. I found most of the people there to be very friendly actually. I think the slower pace of life chills folk out a bit more.

hitman
    Free Member

SueW, from your first para I would say definitely move to Cardiff as the other two places will be too quiet. You're trying to meet new people and create a new circle of friends which is very difficult to do in rural areas particularly whenh you're single. Cardiff has all the advantages of a city but its not too big and on your doorstep is riding in green spaces literally minutes from the city. Afan is 40 mins away, and Cwm Carn about 25 mins, so if you like the trail centres you've got those as well. Also the Brecon Beacons for walking, more mtbing are again about 40mins away. You're also very close to beaches such as Southerndown or the Gower which is about an hour away. So lots of outdoor things to do but you get to also experience clubs, pubs, coffee bars etc. Its also a very friendly city or was when I lived there…aslo ignore the link above which I'm sure is of somewhere like St Mary's St full of p****d people – you could probably replicate such pics in any city in the UK on a Sat night 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

One thing I would mention about Conwy. I don't know your background, but a bit of practice in the pronunciation of all things Welsh will help, even better learn the language. For quality of life I think I would look at either Shrewsbury or Conwy.
    Conwy is in probably the most beautiful part of the country.

Rivett
    Free Member

Shrewsbury. Good location. At the end of the M54. The riding in Shropshire is very good and varied.

YellowBelly
    Free Member

Pros – Shrewsbury has superb MTB and road riding, as indicated above there's a big roadie club, the Mid Shropshire Wheelers or the Paramount Race club. Roadie riding good as some big hills, roads not as busy as elsewhere in the country, lots of time trialling locally, Sundorne track for winter training. MTB is pretty big, lots of top downhillers locally. Some big off road clubs, such as the Wild Wednesday Mechanicals. If you are into running/jogging, theres the Shrewsbury Shufflers or whatever they are called who meet every week at the park. I'm sure you could get yoga classes somewhere if you look. Thers a Mountaineering shop, & club that can act as a focal point for climbing scene. Climbing wall at Sundorne sports centre and bouldering place at Newport (10 miles away).
    Quality of life and work opportunities OK too. Housing cheaper than south east. Nice tractors round here. Prbably a few drinking dens for forty somethings such as the armoury, if thats what your after.

Cons- I'm struggling on this one to be honest.

Dunno about conwy/cardiff, never lived there.

Pigface
    Free Member

Conwy full of the weird hybrid of Gog and Scouser as a Valley boy that is a mix to far, gets invaded in the summer and the A55 is a nightmare.

Cardiff is great, good city life, Afan and Cwmcarn on the doorstep, Gower and Beacons just an hour away. Good commuting links by rail and road. A bit of everything really.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Cardiff is a fab city! you have everything there, city with bars clubs and the like, sea is a 35 minute drive away for great summer BBQ's a bit of body boarding and as already mentioned lots of MTBing either a short drive or even from your doorstep. I remember MTbing from Cardiff and over to Cwmcarn in the days before it was a trail centre. It is a great place to live. I can point you in the direction of lots of bike shops, clubs and general all round outdoorsy people that will be more than happy to show you around and help you out.
    E-mail in profile if you want any more info.

hitman
    Free Member

I remember MTbing from Cardiff and over to Cwmcarn in the days before it was a trail centre.

via the ridgeway – yeah I remember I used to ride that aswell, also Sirhowy where they used to hold the Welsh MTB championships(?)

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I was thinking of Sirhowy Valley when I typed that! Over all the slag heaps it was some awesome riding! How come though I managed 8 hour epics when I was 15 but I couldn't now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

molgrips
    Free Member

Cardiff is pretty good for local MTBing I have to say but a lot of the valleys is a bit difficult to link up. It's also crap for road riding it has to be said – Conway or Shrewsbury would be better there.

Cardiff is handy for a lot of other things too – Heathrow and London are only 2 hours away for instance which can be quite handy.

If you like the proper countryside and mountains then Conway would be fabulous.. different lifestyle (it's where I'd live). If you do go to Cardiff check out the older areas closer to town like Roath for instance with the terraced houses. You can walk to town, plus you have lovely local shops which make it like being in a small town; and then there's a massive park on your doorstep too. We live on the edge of town in the 'burbs which is a bit cack to be honest – everything needs a drive to get to.

Cardiff is almost certainly the most cosmopolitan one of the three you mention too. There are a lot of provincially minded folk it must be said but if you find an area with lots of young people (which really means one of the close to town areas) then there are people frmo all over the world. It also benefits from being a Capital – there are loads of things put there because it's the major city in Wales, but it's still quite small. It definitely punches above its weight in terms of stuff going on.

whytetrash

As an exiled Taff, living 20 mins from Conway I can see Pigfaces point, does get a bit rammed up here in the summer but the riding is ace and the Gogs are ok just take a bit of getting used to 😉 no really good shopping centres if you like your retail therapy though as Landudno and Chester are both limited. Outdoorswise it really is a stunning part of the world though.

Shrewsbury is a nice enough town, done a lot of good road riding round there but was pretty limited shops wise and not exactly rugged countryside round there….bit short on coastline too!

Cardiff…(gets all misty eyed about mis-spent youth)brilliant city, loads going on, great coastline, fantastic riding wild and trailcentres… and friendly natives in the valleys around!..I still only feel I'm home as I pass the Brecon Beacons 😥

molgrips
    Free Member

sea is a 35 minute drive away for great summer BBQ's

Yeah but in Conway the sea's about 5 minutes away 🙂

whytetrash

Sea in Cardiff is close fella…just not so nice for barbies in the bay!

Talkemada
    Free Member

Why not visit each place, spend a bit of time there, get a 'feel' for which one you like best?

Coming from a big city, if I were faced with the same dilemma, Cardiff would be out straight away.

SueW, from your first para I would say definitely move to Cardiff as the other two places will be too quiet. You're trying to meet new people and create a new circle of friends which is very difficult to do in rural areas particularly whenh you're single.

Hmm, I dunno. Large cities can be quite lonely, impersonal places. I've always found it easier to have a chat with folk in quieter places, as they don't interact with as many others, and perhaps have a bit more time for people. Swings and roundabouts really. I'd imagine there might actually be a higher concentration of people into certain activities in a place like Conwy, tbh. Folk move to places like that, to be near their playgrounds.

Conwy definitely wins hands down on the Outdoors bit. Sea, coast, mountains, rivers, foresty bits here and there, proper wilderness. And you can see Blackpool from Conwy Mountain, on a clear day! 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

Large cities can be quite lonely, impersonal places.

Cardiff is in no way a large city tho.

But good point – Conway might have lots of people who've moved there for outdoor reasons. Or it might have a load of inbred gogs living off serving tea to gormless tourists. Not spent enough time there 🙂

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Yes but my point of the sea being 35 mins away was that you have city, sea and mountains within a very short space, not many other places do you get all 3. Whytetrash I get very misty eyed about my youth in Cardiff the MTBing I did as a kid was awesome and I love the city even though it has changed massively since I was brought up. Awesome place.

5lab

probably depends what you want tbh – I lived in cardiff for 3 years – as mentioned, good biking, decent links elsewhere, and in the medium term probably better job opportunities as well. it does have its rough bits but its overall a nice place with very little agro and some decent riding

whytetrash

Munque chick…errmm was getting misty eyed about pulling students and slamdancing in Rich Bitch and the Square Club mostly 😆

Biking was excellent up in the valleys though as well….hours of fun following your nose and making up routes as I went along!

Don't get me wrong I love it up here and have comparable riding and a great bunch of mates to ride with in VC Melyd…but I'll always be a valley boy at heart!

Pigface
    Free Member

Plenty of places nearer to the playgrounds than Conwy and cheaper as well, you do pay a premium for being on the coast.

I am a valley boy and found gogs utterly unfathomable, different world up there.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Bit parochial aren't you, Pigface? 😮

Conwy is next to some proper big hills and mountains. And the sea. Can't imagine how you could get any closer really!

molgrips
    Free Member

Conwy definitely best for biking, and North Wales has tremendous beauty all around…. Cardiff definitely best for city amenities.

Also I never considered Cardiff rough. It's got scuzzy areas and you might have your car (or garage) broken into here and there, but I never feel personally threatened anywhere.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Agree with Molgrips I think overall about it being rough! We regularly cycled through Ely (super rough) but never had a problem. I could go on praising Cardiff and it's pro's!
    I guess the only con is it's Welsh .. but I can say that being Welsh I guess (before people get uppity!!)
    Sue, I could put you in touch with a group of MTBing people of a similar age to you. I was even recently joking with a very good friend of mine (who's 35) stating she needs to find more girlie MTBers who aren't popping sprogs as she is lonely now!!

hitman
    Free Member

Sue, move to Cardiff, you won't regret it 🙂

Munqe-chick – you ever going back?

Pigface
    Free Member

Parochial not really, if you want the mountains, live in Blaneu Ff, way cheaper and right in the middle of the park with out being in the park. The sea around Conwy is rubbish for any activities other than sailing and some pretty dull kayaking. If you want surf you have to go to Anglesey or down onto the Lleyn, same as windsurf, kayacking.

Talk/Rude/Fred tell me about London as I have as much a clue about that as you do about Wales?

Olly
    Free Member

im from Shrewsbury, currently working Daaahhnnn Saaaafff.

Cant WAIT to move back.
    the only thing against it is its the furthest point you can possibly get from the sea (pretty much)

Nick

Yeah but it's a cracking drive or even ride across the Berwyns/Snowdonia to get to the sea 🙂

Talkemada
    Free Member

Pfft, why the hostility Pigface?

I was merely making the case for Conwy, as it seems to offer a lot of what the OP wanted. I was expressing my preference. I've never been to Cardiff, granted, but it's a large town, no? IE, a bit bigger and busier than Conwy/Llandudno. I accept my judgement is biased, as I can't compare it to any experience of Cardiff.

You were the one who made derogatory remarks about the people in the Conwy area. 'Gogs', I think you called them. Just sounded a bit parochial, that's all.

As for being 'clueless' about Wales; I have Welsh ancestry…. 😀

And I've been to Merthyr Tydfil. Once.

molgrips
    Free Member

Where's the local riding from Shrewsbury (as in, from your house)? Not being sarky, just don't know.

And I wouldn't live in Blaenau Ff if you paid me. It looks rough as boots.

Pigface
    Free Member

Nothing deragoratory about Gogs, look up what it means. Merely descriptive and that is what they have always been known as.

Hostility? lets just say that your reputation preceeds you. Not sure calling me parochial is the friendliest description.

Nick

Where's the local riding from Shrewsbury (as in, from your house)? Not being sarky, just don't know.

Well I live North of Shrewsbury and have Grinshill Hill plus various surrounding hills, old quarries and woods on my doorstep, ok hardly the Carneddau… but fun, Haughmond Hill is a short ride away, some nice singletrack there, have ridden from my front door to the Long Mynd 3 times in the last year, have caught the train to Church Stretton before too. Stiperstone and Eastridge are within shouting distance without driving, especially if you live in Shrewsbury or just South this is all easily doable, along with the Lawley, Caer Caradoc, Hope Bowdler etc etc.

Cannock is 50 mins in the car, Delamere is the same, Llandegla is 40, ByC is 80, CyB is 90 mins, the coast is 90 mins, Berwyns are 45 mins etc etc

Whilst the riding from the door or even a short drive isn't up there with Snowdonia it pretty damn good, plus it really is a nice town with excellent links to the rest of the country (as long as you don't need to go to Norwich on a regular basis, but then who would want to?), as a town it offers a lot more than Conway and probably not much less than Cardiff, someone said not much shopping? Plenty of great independent shops selling interesting stuff. Plus it only has a couple of properly shitty bits (Sundorne and Meole Brace).

I'd agree that visiting yourself is the only way to get a feel for the places, you could quite easily combine Shrewsbury and Conway in a weekend, you can even get a direct train from Cardiff to Shrewsbury if you want to.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

hitman been trying to get back to Cardiff for the last 7 years, I've moved from London to Oxford so I'm slowly getting back there! However now job wise it is a bit of a nightmare really and not as easy as people think!! Off for my birthday though next weekend and can't wait, doing the local stuff I did as a kid. LOVE the place.

molgrips
    Free Member

Cardiff has riding immediately outside the last city suburbs.. it's somewhat limited but is pretty good considering. Then there's some patchy stuff further out, then it starts to get better again as you go further up the valleys, culminating in the Beacons. It is possible to ride almost entirely off-road to the Beacons, but it takes a bloody long time 🙂

Munque – what's your line of work?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘Where to live: Conwy, Cardiff, or Shrewsbury?’ is closed to new replies.