Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Where to live and where to avoid in Swindon
  • brassneck

In Swindon = Old Town

Outside there's loads of options, with easy public transport or cycling in.. I'm from Marlborough originally but it's pricey these days.. lots of London commuters let alone Swindon.

Theres lots of nice countryside around it. Not half as bad as is being painted here by some people.

its the anonymous ugly sprawl of concrete monstrosities, industrial estates and generic housing estate developments that's spoiled the place combined with chav townies relocating from London.

Find me one largeish town in the South that doesn't fit this. Apart from possibly the relocation.

molgrips
    Free Member

Holy thread resurrection.

Just read it tho – 50 mins from Swindon to Cwmcarn? That's really giving it some!

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Find me one largeish town in the South that doesn't fit this

Bath, Cheltenham, Salisbury, Winchester, Oxford.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

have people read how old this thread is. thanks for the update though tom!

DavidB
    Free Member

Yep, Swindon's shithole, especially Old Town nothing to see here, move on please and overcrowd some other ponceville elsewhere 😉

ps. Wootton Bassett looks nice…on the high street…try a few nights out there

Pageygeeza
    Free Member

I'm glad I stumbled across this thread, I used to live in Swindon all my life until '03 when I moved over to Northern Ireland.

I used to live in Park North, It used to be a lot better in the late 70's when I was a wee nipper. Getting away from it all was far too easy, a quick 5 minute ride and you're out in the countryside. And as someone pointed out earlier in the thread, townies rarely venture out that far. 😉

I used to ride the Ridgeway a lot, used to start off at Foxhill and usually end up at Uffington. I know it wasn't that far, but it got me out the house, which I was always greatful for. Loads of nice views from up there.

MrNutt
    Free Member

the best thing about being in swindon is that 30mins drive in any direction has you somewhere considerably better 😀

DavidB
    Free Member

Didcot?

CountZero

There's a strange sort of syncronicity about this thread. I knew someone, an ex-girlfriend, who lived up in Old Town, just off of the Devizes Road near the Town Gardens. Anyway, for various reasons we lost touch, and despite lots of Google searching I couldn't track her down. Until this evening, when I discovered she's part of a folk group who play around Swindon, and now I've found this thread resurrected. The whole area where she lived is really nice, a very pleasant part of town to live, and access to the Ridgeway and points South is pretty easy from there.

MrNutt
    Free Member

really which folk group is that?

DavidB
    Free Member

It's not the "Sweet Plums" is it?

Pageygeeza
    Free Member

I could ask on my Facebook page, I'm sure somebody might know of them.

I also vote to keep this thread alive. 😀

MrNutt
    Free Member

did this thread die?

brassneck

Yes, but it got better.

Bath, Cheltenham, Salisbury, Winchester, Oxford.

4 cities there Mr Clever Clogs 😀

CountZero

In answer to the question about the folk group they're called Chalice, and they don't have a Facebook page.

Pageygeeza
    Free Member

I miss Swindon funnily enough, I miss all the quiet country roads.

CountZero: I know a few musical types in Swindon, they might know someone who knows someone.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Where to live and where to avoid in Swindon’ is closed to new replies.