Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • where to leave the car in Avebury – while I cycle the Ridgeway
  • singletracksurfer

it’ll need to be there for 2 days in all!

any ideas?

Thanks.

nickjb
    Free Member

Street parking is restricted due to all the tourists. There is a big car-park just south of the village, not sure about overnight parking or security there. You might be able to do a deal with the pub but their parking space is at a premium especially at weekends.

yossarian
    Free Member

you’ll struggle I think. There’s some parking near west kennet long barrow which is not too far away and you could try Avebury Trusloe but apart from that you might want to consider parking in Marlborough and riding down to Avebury.

Moses

There’s a village car-park opposite the teashop. I’ve arrived at 5am and found cars there, so you may well be OK. Alternatively, some distance down the lane to the E of the pub. Green Street?

singletracksurfer

thanks guys. the big car park doesn’t allow over nighters.
    also want it to be in a pretty secure place as its a car/van and looks like it could have stuff in (which it won’t, so is even more annoying for everyone involved)!

Just spoken to the Red Lion pub in Avebury who’ve said it’s fine to leave it there (and a promise of 4 hungry people returning) – yeha.

Ta

brassneck

As you come around the s bends (Red Lion on the left, from Marlborough direction) there is a small local road going straight ahead – down there, just outside the ring of stones is a small layby if you’re looking for somewhere free.

Security is of course non existent, but outside the summer season it’s not too bad there. That’s where I park if I take the kids for a run around.

Alternately, park in Marlborough on the Common (look on the map for the Rockley road – local workers park on the side of the road there) – it’s a pleasant few miles across Fyfield down to reach the ridgeway above Avebury.
    I’d leave it there if you need to leave it overnight myself.

singletracksurfer

thanks brassneck I know the one. was thinking of there myself as its right on the route.

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Me struggling too the NT specifically exclude it, might be worth giving them a call though: http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-vh/w-visits/w-findaplace/w-avebury/w-avebury-parking.htm

~You’re planning to ride it there (to Streatham) and back I guess? How about a loop?

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/200k-in-a-day-2-days-200-miles

rig
    Free Member

any ideas?

We did the Ridgeway from avebury to the Thames & back over a weekend.

We left the cars where the Ridgeway meets the A4. There is enough room & we had no problems.

This was a few years ago mind you.

MrNutt
    Free Member

when are you planning on doing this, if you want you could leave your van at my place (secure, private courtyard, swindon) and I could drive you down to avebury then pick u up when your done? The red lion would say its fine, its also one of the most expensive car parks in the world!

brassneck

It’s a fun ride – worth doing once just to say so, more fun with company as some bits are a bit of a slog.

I caught the train up to Streatly from Bedwyn, and cycled back, aiming to call in the medevac when I got to the Sanctuary – I wasn’t terribly fit and 48 odd miles plus a tubeless disaster and 3 separate soakings took their toll – only to find my phone was flat. 😳

Had to ride on into Marlborough and beg a lift from the parents.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘where to leave the car in Avebury – while I cycle the Ridgeway’ is closed to new replies.