Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Where to Holiday in Italy?
  • 1981miked
    Free Member

Afternoon all,

Hope 2012 is going well for you so far. Im after some advice on where to holiday in Italy.

I am getting married in May this year and we would like to visit Italy for our honeymoon. I am just about to start looking at where to go etc but as STW seems to be the oracle for pretty much everything i thought id throw it open to you guys first for your experiences and recommendatons.

We would prefer to hire an apartment or similar and if it could be near the coast that would be excellent, however we are open to suggestions. Somewhere nice and relaxing where we can enjoy nice food and drink, id prefer not to drive as i drive for a living so enjoy not doing so on holiday.

Thanks in advance.

Mike.

beinbhan
    TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I really enjoyed walking in the Monte Sibilini national park – and the spring flowers were simply fantastic in May – quite spectacular.

binners

If you stay in the Italian lakes, its absolutely stunning. And should you fancy riding there are those big hills there. What they called again. Ahhhh the Alps. You’re right on the Swiss Border so can mooch over there should you fancy it. And after flights to Milan, not too far a drive at all.

You can’t really go wrong anywhere in Italy for food and drunk. First place I ate there was a truck stop outside Milan. It was better than you’d get at most restaurants here.

And Italy will probably be bankrupt by the time you get there (if its later than next week) so you’ll be laughing cash-wise

1981miked
    Free Member

Thanks so far guys, ill look into your suggestions.

andydicko
    Free Member

I would highly reccommend Sorrento, very close to Naples (airport) so you could get away without driving, nice food and a very relaxed place, and on the stunning Amalfi Coast.

scratch
    Free Member

DO NOT GO TO NAPLES!

1981miked
    Free Member

Why not Naples scratch?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Mrs Feet & myseld went to Sorrento for our honeymoon. Great coast line, Capri a short boat ride away, the coast road to Amalfi (an experience in itself!), Pompeii and Hurculaneum (excuse the spellings!!) nearby.

Happy days spent in the pool underneath Lemon trees gazing out across the bay of Naples with that big ‘ol volcano on horizon.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Why not Naples – ‘cos it’s a bit of a dump and full of criminals*!!!!

* well, probably not, but we were advised bythe holiday rep not to go there for fear of being mugged!

1981miked
    Free Member

Thanks Piedi, do u happen to have a link to where u stayed?

Chris-S
    Free Member

Venice !

momo

I went to lake garda a couple of years ago in May, it was a really beautiful place and the food was fantastic, I even managed to get a little bit of cycling in!

I haven’t been before but I will definitely be taking a trip to the Amalfi Coast in the not too distant future.

Oh and personally I couldn’t bear the thought of more than a few days in a city when I’m on holiday, but it’s always nice to have one nearby to spend a day or two mooching about in.

nasher
    Free Member

Liguria, and the Cinque Terre, Portofino etc..

TooTall
    Free Member

Don’t go to Naples.

I lived there for 2 years. Not a honeymoon destination. Go to the Amalfi coast if you want to pay lots and see some small towns perched on a steep coast in a pretty honeymoon sort of way.

I always wanted to go to Taormina on Sicily but never made it there. Where some of the Big Blue was filmed.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member
    scratch
    Free Member

We did a week in Rome then travelled South for a week in Naples, it’s pretty rough straight out of the station, a local ‘business’ has the waste collection contract, hence old beds on street corners etc and most areas awash with litter.

I kind of got into it after a couple of days, it’s vibrant and the foods amazing, but I never felt that safe walking around especially at night.

The traffics crazy, full families riding a single moped on the pavement was normal, you’d take your life in your hands even when the crossings flashed green, kind of glad I went but wouldn’t go back.

1981miked
    Free Member

I agree momo would rather avoid the big cities but like u say..nice to visit them for a wander.

I have found a few nice places on the net.

Ill go chek out the link piedi, many thanks.

Mike.

hugor
    Free Member

Venice smells like a toilet at night when its warm and the air is still.
    Hardly inspiring stuff for horizontal aerobics.

1981miked
    Free Member

Ha Ha Hugor, ill be sure to avoid it then.

1981miked
    Free Member

I have seen some nice hotels in Sorrento…

lunge

It depends what you want really bit I like:
    Rome – Stunning, beautiful place, one of my favourite places in the world. Potentially not very relaxing as there is so much to do but a great place.
    Sienna – As above but smaller and not quite so mental
    San Remo – Small town, pretty, great night life, a lot of fun.
    The lakes – Garda, Como, all good, all in the hills and stunningly beautiful. Very relaxing and you can swim in the lakes and climb in the hills if you so desire
    The mountains – Find a small village with a restaurant, a shop and nothing else and you will be fine. Not Italy but I stayed at a stunning chalet in Sixt-fer-a-Cheval which is 1 hour over the border into France.

Sorrento I liked but found it a bit boring after 4 days, there just didn’t seem much to do there, there are no beaches so you have to drive down the Amalfi Coast is nice as well but it is crowded in the summer. I didn’t get on with Florence but I know many people do.

Edukator
    Free Member

I got on with Florence and Tuscany, very pleasant in the Autumn.

I avoid going to Italy in car on foreign plates unless there’s a closed garage or compound to park it in. If you must park a car on foreign plates in a public place leave it with all the doors and windows wide open and let the air out of the tyres. This advice is based on having the drivers door window broken despite the passenger door being unlocked as the previous thieves had broken it.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Where to Holiday in Italy?’ is closed to new replies.