Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Where to grease my bike.
  • 06awjudd
    Free Member

Building a new bike and I’d like to know where I need to grease – I know the obvious ones like BB threads.
    I guess I more need to know where NOT to grease.
    I also have loctite for my chainguide and chainring – any other places where this would be useful?
    Thanks!

landcruiser
    Free Member

NOT on the living room carpet apparently !

UK-FLATLANDER

My impression is that grease is for moving part to act as lubrication, if it’s static and you may need to remove it then use anti-sieze. Loctite for fasteners that you don’t want to rattle loose.

stonster
    Free Member

Garage is a good bet.

06awjudd
    Free Member

Hmmm, I’m thinking bedroom.

Seriously though – I’ve seen people greasing stem bolts – is this a bad idea as it will cause the bolts to come undone – or should it be done?

Pedal threads?

Headset bolt?

Steerer?

Thanks.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Pedal threads headset bb bearings etc. Not much else. I do have some anti seize that I use for most things I want to undo later

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

I always put a smear of copper grease (anti seize) on all the fixed threads. I.e. stem bolts, brake and shifter clamp bolts, bottle cage bolts. Basically any thread that is going to sit there once it’s tightened. Definitely recommend the seat clamp bolt as it tends to get all the spray and then go rusty. Same goes for QR’s on the wheels. Never had a problem with things coming undone.
    If you have a square taper BB axle then don’t grease that, otherwise the cranks fall off.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Where to grease my bike.’ is closed to new replies.