Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Where to go riding in NZ?
  • Kahurangi

Instead of travelling to Burma the GF and I are going to chill out and spend a few weeks working our way from Auk, Wgtn and the North Island down to Chch, where work awaits her and a a job-hunt awaits me.

Times are vague as it’s dependant on how quickly the visas arrive and we can get tickets booked, but we’re aiming to fly with bikes and a bit of kit, with approx 3 weeks to work our way around some tourist spots and bike trails. We’ll probably mix up some camping (going to buy a cheap tent), sleeping in the car and hostels.

We have a contact in Wgtn who might take us out for a ride but it’s probably just me and her. We can do techy, even if it involves pushing down… the GF is much less experienced than me but has improved since I took her round the Borrowdale Bash and found that quite tough.

Any suggestions however vague (this town) or specific (this hill, that trail, turn right at the tree…) would be ace.

So… go on… show me 😀

joemarshall
    Free Member

You need the Kennet Brothers New Zealand Mountain Bike Rides book. There are a bunch of rides on the way down that you could do. It is a big book with much of the good riding in it – certainly enough for a road trip – once you’re in Chch, there is more local riding than is in the book, but it is pretty easy to find.

Other good bet is to ask on vorb.org.nz – which is a good New Zealand bike site for this kind of thing.

Nice bike park in Wellington at Makara Peak.

Lots of nice riding near Christchurch.

In between – Queen Charlotte Track is a nice tourist attraction which just happens to be rideable – nothing technical, but amazing scenery (and nice swimming in many places along it should you like that kind of thing). Check the dates it is open to bikers though.

Joe

trail_rat
    Free Member

look out for

trails round north of taupo are fun

trails round wellington are fun – loads of em there.

Trails round rotorua are good as well

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Jon, I’ll lend you my Kennet Bros book. That’s all you need 🙂

Hook up with locals through vorb.org.nz (aswell as the kiwis who frequent here)

IME:

NI: Woodhill MTB park, Rotovegas, Coromandel Peninsular and loads of stuff around Welly. Worth doing the route of the Karapoti Classic (and entering the event if you can)

Then SI; Queen Charlotte Track if you’re there in the off-season. Port Hills (but you know about that) and oodles of stuff around Queenstown.
    If you fancy a good 2-dayer with the missus, Te Anau to Queenstown via the Mavora Lake Road to Walter Peak Station, finishing with the TSS Earnslaw was brilliant. You know that photo above the fireplace in my kitchen? That’s there…

trail_rat
    Free Member

“If you fancy a good 2-dayer with the missus, Te Anau to Queenstown via the Mavora Lake Road to Walter Peak Station, finishing with the TSS Earnslaw was brilliant. You know that photo above the fireplace in my kitchen? That’s there… “

+1

you mean here ?

kiwijohn

Don’t tell anyone, but Nelson is going off.

2orangey4crows

As trail rat says Taupo and Roturua have tons of trails (I didn’t do any, but saw plenty).

Some good stuff around the hills of Wellington. A mix, but some long bridleway-type riding to be had.

But I really enjoyed Queenstown and Wanaka. Bit of something for everyone there and the scenery/lifestyle is just great there.

Ahh, happy times…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Where to go riding in NZ?’ is closed to new replies.