Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Where to go on the French South coast?
  • spacecadett
    Free Member

Summer camping holdiay – 4 of us are driving down to the south coast of France in the summer and we have not yet decided on an area.

It would be great to be near an airport as we will be joined by a couple flying out for a week.

I have never been to the area – any suggestions?

rich_tee
    Free Member

erm there's a resort near me called Argeles-sur-Mer that I've been told is the largest camp site in Europe. A little less frenetic than further up the Cote d'Azur. Easy motorway access.
    1h30 to Girona, 45mins to Perpignan airports.

nols
    Free Member

I went to Finale which is just inside Italy last year. Awesome place.
    Is probably a 2 hour drive from Nice airport. Riding was amazing.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Best place I went to down there was the Gorges Verdun, or the coastline on the Italian side. We drove from Turin through the Alps to Nice, then back along the coast and up to Alba (food + wine spectacular) then back to Turin. From Alba you could go to Gran Paradiso national park too, see some eagles 🙂

leggyblonde
    Free Member

will you be MTBing?

Mackem

Collioure – lovely little place near the France/Spain border. There's a couple of campsites there. Carcassone isnt too far away and is well worth a visit (and the biking is good I'm told).

http://www.collioure.com/gb/index-gb.htm

DickBarton

Freju (think that is the spelling) – place we go to semi-regularly is just outside Dragungon (spelling of that is all wrong!) – about a 30 minute drive north of Freju – lovely area and also reasonably close to the Gorges du Verdon – a seriously stunning place – top Gear have used it in a sketch (the RS4 v the rock climber), it's an amazing area.

john_drummer
    Free Member

airport – Nice; resort – there's a pretty big campsite between Frejus/St Raphael and St Aygulf. the road alongside does get quite busy though. About 30-40 minutes drive west along the coast from Nice. St Raphael is a nice town, Frejus is a little more sedate and dates back to Roman times. St Aygulf is more of a village really.

nearby MTBing in the Estoril massif

donald
    Free Member

A lot of French go to the west coast on holiday. I've no idea if it's better or worse but it is worth a thought.

DickBarton

Ok, checked my spelling and location on Google Maps – The place we stayed is just outside Figanieres which is just outside Draguignan – about 1 hour from Nice airport.

And where we stayed is here.

Actually I've just re-read the original post – that isn't a campsite so I'm afraid I've been no help at all…Frejus has a bit campsite…looked very well organised with plenty of stuff to do for family and it was right close to adult facilities like eateries and pubs and other services (like buses, sea front, etc.)

spacecadett
    Free Member

Thank you for your suggestions. Unfortunately I won't be taking a bike but will be making up for it with an Alps trip in September.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

North?

druidh
    Free Member

Find out where Juan is.

Then go somewhere else.

DA_DOOD–lulz
    Free Member

West coast is pretty good for beach holidays. Miles of excellent beaches and myriad campsites. Prefer it to the south myself.

Edukator
    Free Member

In for a penny in for a pound, mix it with the jet set on St tropez' most famous beach. There is stil a small traditional camping patch among the mobile homes and beach huts at Kontiki. Don't even think of using the car once you're there.

Nico
    Free Member

The Med coast is mad in July and August. Cassis near Marseilles is gorgeous.

Edukator
    Free Member

But there are no public toilets anywhere near the Calenques beaches so the stench of human excrement is disagreeable and you need to be careful where you let children play.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Where to go on the French South coast?’ is closed to new replies.