Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Where to go in the UK for a month.
  • gearfreak
    Free Member

Looks like our planned trip to Europe is now cancelled, so please inspire me with places to go in the UK with a 3 month old baby in a campervan. Make them good, pics would be good as I need cheering up!

jekkyl

to include riding or no?
    where do you live? where have you been already?

quick suggestions would be:
    isle of wight
    lake district
    west scotland, island hopping.
    all 3 would be ideal to take a mtb too.

peterfile
    Free Member

What time of year?

North West and Islands of Scotland would be my choice. Loads of threads on here with info and photos

Drac

Up the East and down the West you have a month.

gearfreak
    Free Member

Time of year – in a week or two, live in S Wales. Island hopping sounds good, worried about it pissing down for the whole time and being eaten alive by midges.

lunge

Birmingham.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Devon and Cornwall has it all…….but if not, perhaps venture oop North to the Highlands, which I believe should be midge free soon? Include Skye etc.

(via The Lakes of course!)

Pook

The woods behind the NatWest in Swindon. The elusive baby robin has been spotted there recently

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

When? If you’re thinking about Scotland, you might need a passport soon.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

DSC_0178[1] by Bruce Ritchie, on Flickr
    Glenelg turn left before Skye and take the wee Kylehrea Ferry over to Skye – not before visiting Sandaig (pic) – the above picture was taken in February btw!

IMAG0499-1 by Bruce Ritchie, on Flickr
    Rothiemurchas, nr Aviemore

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

sorry about that, here’s some pictures –
    PS Waverley

Rannoch Moor

Glencoe

Arisaig (Road to the Isles)

Bealach Na Ba

Smoo Cave

Moray Firth

tomhoward

The Lakes
    Norfold Broads
    Devon/Cornwall

Stretch to a couple of days in northern France?

ton

not going for a month but for 2 weeks, starting 1st week in September.
    train to Berwick upon tweed, then spend a week offroad pootling in the cheviots, keilder, north pennines and north dales.
    get train home on the Saturday, and off up to the isles on the sunday, touring arran, Kintyre, islay, colonsay, oban and back onto arran.

2 ace weeks 1st with the lads, 2nd with the wife… 8)

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

ton, if you like Big Engineering, you should check out the Ben Cruachan power station about 20 miles east of Oban. A hollowed out mountain with a power station inside, in the tradition of the finest Bond supervllains.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Lots of nice beaches and riding in Wales

jambalaya
    Free Member

If I had a month I would go to Scotland and the Isles. A couple of weeks then yes Devon/Cornwall or Lakes but a month would allow you to really explore Scotland in a way you cannot do easily with less time.

sportsnapper
    Free Member

Brecon, and Powys in general, as you can stay on their car parks for a single night in a camper van for free – hard to do this anywhere else in the UK.

Scotland, travel all around the Seven stanes?

allfankledup

Wiltshire – Bath – Salisbury – Devizes

North wales – llanberis

Chester
    York
    Edinburgh
    Fife

Oodles of decent places – and near enough to civilisation when porting the little one about…

Philby

Yorkshire Dales, North York Moors, York, Lake District, Northumberland.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Don’t go to Cornwall. Full of bloody families & kids, & you can’t just ‘park up’ anywhere for free either.
    Scotland!

rwamartin
    Free Member

Head west. Spend a bit of time in Pembrokeshire. Hop over to Ireland. Tour up to Belfast. Ferry to Stranrar. Tour Scotland. Back home.

Rich.

gearfreak
    Free Member

Some good suggestions there, isn’t there a big railway museum in York? Seem to remember going to it when I was 5, perfect for a 3 month old baby!

KonaTC

South, West, Mid and North Wales, calling in on the MTB routes and trails 🙂

PS you could always learn Welsh, educational as well as fantastic scenery and coast line.

Just to wet your appitite Pembrokeshire

GolfChick
    Free Member

thanks for the Smoo Cave picture, it and cape wrath are now on my wedding list for next year, looks fantastic!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ton, gimme a shout when you’re heading to Arran, I’ll come over n show ye the best pubs!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Where to go in the UK for a month.’ is closed to new replies.