Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Where to go in October/November?
  • peterfile
    Free Member

I’ve got 2 weeks holiday to take, plenty of air miles, but realistically I can only go away between end of October and November.

I’ll be going on my own. Been looking at heading to Denali National Park, however i’ve been reading that October/November is a pretty crap time to go to Alaska. Ideally I’d like to camp or get a cabin or hostel. The idea of spending time in Denali NP as winter draws in, or sitting in some local bars in quiet season actually appeals though.

Other places i’ve looked at are Banff/Lake Louise type trips, but again it’s shoulder season so not sure what there will be to do other than relax (which isn’t necessarily a bad thing!)

I’ve got close friends in Cayman and San Diego, but no sure I fancy a beach holiday, would prefer mountains.

So would ideally like:

mountains
    camping/cabins/hostels
    good for lone traveller
    not a busy city
    snow/trails/interesting stuff to do
    doable on the cheap
    far away

anyone been anywhere interesting in October/Nov?

footflaps

Isn’t Nepal supposed to be good that time of year?

peterfile
    Free Member

Just checked, that’s a no go for the air miles unfortunately (typically, the first place i’ve checked that is unavailable!). Needs to be AA/BA and associated airlines.

That would have been a sure fire winner though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    geoffj

Gotta be California somewhere?

peterfile
    Free Member

I’m normally in San Diego and San Francisco once or twice a year anyway, so was looking to try somewhere a bit different and a wee bit more wild.

Just found this rather helpful map on AA’s website (that’s my afternoon taken care of!): Award map

stewartc
    Free Member

Does anywhere in South America float your boat, BA used to do a flight down to Buenos Aires, you can then get a coach down to Patagonia?

rickt
    Free Member

Tokyo, then head to Mount Fuji.

dirtycrewdom
    Free Member

Isn’t Nepal supposed to be good that time of year?

😆

peterfile
    Free Member

I must have missed the joke, dom. Oct/Nov is generally the best time to visit is it not?

TooTall
    Free Member

If you went to Utah, Nevada and Colorado you could ride bikes, mooch around mountains and stuff.

peterfile
    Free Member

Aye, Colorado is high up on the list.

Just noticed that the Banff Mountain Film Festival is on from 26 October until 3 November, so Banff should be pretty lively and with some good stuff to see!

nedrapier

We went to Utah last year. Middle two weeks of October. Cold at night, hot in the day.

Flew into Vegas with camping gear, picked up a car, went shopping (mainly for booze) night in Zion NP, hiked the Narrows, drove to Moab, couple of days on bikes, White water rafting (Westwater canyon, if you go best one day whitewater trip in the West, according to Nat Geo) Back to Vegas via stopping for hikes and ting in various places and parks. Plenty of higher mountains around if you want (San Juans near Moab, Wasatch further West, or Colorado)

We had a flipping brilliant time. I honestly don’t think there’s much we would change about it.

footflaps

Riding condition will be nice in Utah / New Mexico. Twice been for a Oct/Nov trip to Colorado / Utah / New Mexico for MTB riding. Aspens will all be turning nicely….

Aspens by brf, on Flickr

Rockape63
    Free Member

Can’t believe no one has suggested Bangkok!

Bloke on holiday by himself for two weeks…….is there anywhere else?

😛

dirtycrewdom
    Free Member
    ahsat

I wouldnt go to Alaska then, it will be dead! You’ll struggle to find any bars to sit in! Most people who live in the remote places either bugger back off down to the lower 48 (as they call it) or head back to Anchorage or Fairbanks for work and better transport links. The park buses stop running mid Sept so you wont be able to get into the park without walking, and it takes long enough in the summer. If you go in Dec-Feb you’d be in deep winter and oddly more is on as the snow etc is good for sports and the winter roads are all set up.

What about California – great state and likely to see some sunshine, but not so busy at this time. Riding is a bit mixed with load of access issues though. You could have an awesome fall in Yosemite area.

EDIT: just reread about having friends in San Deigo. Would still think about Yosemite though.

dirtycrewdom
    Free Member

Lake Tahoe?

peterfile
    Free Member

dirtycrewdom – Member

The joke

Have you looked at a map recently, dom? 🙂

(hint: Peru is on the other side of the world from Nepal)

dirtycrewdom
    Free Member

Oh my god. I just read Nepal as Peru!!!!

Oh dear. 😳

peterfile
    Free Member

😀

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Where to go in October/November?’ is closed to new replies.