Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Where to go in Italy for the BEST coffee?
  • iamanobody
    Free Member

Fancy a trip to Italy, Love coffee, where in your experience serves THE BEST?

ElShalimo

Sod the coffee, go to a mountain hut and experience hot chocolate heaven!

jools182
    Free Member

best hot chocolate I had was in Warsaw

basically a cup of dark, melted chocolate

sorry, that’s no use whatsoever, wrong country, wrong drink 😀

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

My choices would be

Caffé Sant’Eustacchio, Rome, near the Pantheon. Traditional, small, excellent coffee
    Cafe Gambrinus, Piazza Trieste e Trento, Naples. fairly large and opulent. Nice inside but outside is a great place to watch the world drift by. Excellent coffee

molgrips
    Free Member

As if anyone would know where THE BEST coffee in Italy was..?

Just go hang out somewhere cool – the coffee will be good anyway 🙂

badnewz
    Free Member

The quality of coffee in a lot of places in the UK is now on a par with Italy.

aP
    Free Member

The coffee in the little café at the top of the Passo san Boldo always tastes good to me.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

From what I hear Melbourne, but it’s a long way to go for a coffee. So is Italy and if it turns out to be crap then it’s going to be a long holiday…..

hatter

Britain does seem to have caught up a bit regarding coffee but we’re still light years behind on hot chocolate.

If you ever find yourself in the high dolomites near the Gavia pass then HERE will serve you the most glorious thing you’ll ever see in a glass.

mogrim

San Gines in Madrid is the place for hot chocolate, particularly on a cold winter’s morning after a good night.

No idea about Italian coffee, seemed pretty similar to the Spanish stuff – avoid any bar with photos on the menu and you should be OK.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

You’d decide upon a destination, anywhere in Italy purely dependent on how good the coffee was? Bit odd?

Drac

Starbucks.

sandwicheater

Sod the coffee, go to a mountain hut and experience hot chocolate heaven!

This +1000. Climbing in the Mont Blanc Massif and crossed over to Italy after bagging a 4000m peak. Best hot chocolate i’ve ever tasted.

Ringo
    Free Member

Naples for pizza and coffee 😉

allthegear
    Free Member

Climbing in the Mont Blanc Massif and crossed over to Italy after bagging a 4000m peak. Best hot chocolate i’ve ever tasted.

This ^

It’s all about context. It’s like the crazy Mutzig beer in Bar Robinson’s was always amazing and possibly the most alcoholic substance on Earth, but only after a long hot day in the hills. Two pints and I was a wobbly mess…

The reality is it was just the same beer available in other outlets.

Rachel

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

avoid any bar with photos on the menu and you should be OK.

Cracking advice from Mogrim whenever travelling abroad.

BB

rickmeister
    BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Naples Gina Sorbillo or da Michele for pizza

..and Gay Odin for chocolates and ice cream

porlus
    Free Member

Italian hot chocolate totally threw my lass out. Ordered on expecting UK style. She got the typical gloopy chocolate syrup. She hated it, I thought it was nice.
    Had a nice coffee in a cafe round the corner from the end of Via Flavia in Roma. Happy with the price paid as the barista was insisting we sit down to drink it lol.

dmorts

I have to disagree with a few here, the general quality of Barista* here in the UK is still poor. Frothy coffees suffering from scalded milk and plain black ones too watery or over-extracted and bitter. There are few doing really good stuff though.

In my experience the coffee in Italy is good in most places…. just remember to take your receipt with you when you leave.

*I think possibly because in most places someone can’t just be a Barista. It’s whoever is serving you that makes the coffee, regardless of their skill.

dmorts

just remember to take your receipt with you when you leave.

Actually it appears that since 2003 this isn’t a problem any more, you’re safe from the Guardia di Finanza fines if receipt-less

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Where to go in Italy for the BEST coffee?’ is closed to new replies.