Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Where to go for two nights camping and trail centres
  • hammy7272
    Free Member

Hi,

I did plan to go to Glentress 22nd and 23rd March but I’ve read parts are closed. Question is, is it still worth going? If not where would be similar? I’m based in Leeds and happy to drive 4 hours? I mentioned trail centres due to the ease.

Thanks in advance

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Hit North Wales 😀

hammy7272
    Free Member

Yes, it did cross my mind. I have been to Coed-y-Brenin and enjoyed that. Is there anything similar in that area?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    appy
    Free Member

I could spend a month happily in the coed-y-brenin/bets-y-coed area. Youve got so many places to ride and some excellent camp sites.

tops5
    Free Member

Dolgamedd near Dollgelau (CYB) – lovely site, river running through it, campfires allowed – we will be back there in May (went twice last year)

honourablegeorge

Campsite in Llandegla, short ho to Bets-y-Coed from there too

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Still plenty of Glentress to ride and Innerleithan is unnaffected – also plenty of “natural” riding in the area

http://www.7stanesmountainbiking.com/Glentress—Innerleithen

Pieface

Dalbeattie?

Camp at Kipford and you have Access to a couple of trails

grum
    Free Member

Machynlleth is cool, Climachx trail is short but one of the best trail centre descents anywhere IMO. Nant y Arian is good too, and CyB isn’t too far away.

titusrider
    Free Member

Check out the howies competition and replicate, looks great

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

I would camp somewhere west of Dumfries giving easy access to Kirro, Mabie, Dalbeattie and Drumlanrig. Less travel than Tweed too.

ocrider

I’ll tell you, but only if I win that Howies competition.

wrecker
    Free Member

Check out the howies competition and replicate, looks great

Have you checked the prices on that canopy and stars website?
    There’s taking the piss and then there’s taking the piss

hammy7272
    Free Member

cheers guys, lots to consider. It seems Scotland or Wales….hmmmm.

hammy7272
    Free Member

What’s Bets-y-Coed like? Thinking about camping here? http://www.caegwynfarm.co.uk/activities.htm and maybe doing the Beast then driving to Bets-y-Coed the next day?

wrecker
    Free Member

I’ve camped there hammy. It’s fine. Warm showers. The people are nice and will drive you to the local pub (with a bit of a wait!) and the pub will give you a discount and drive you home. The pub food isn’t great though.

hammy7272
    Free Member

O.K got a plan now and thanks for the help.

Thursday drive to Coed Llandegla early morning and do the trails there, drive to Coed y Brenin pitch the tent and maybe do a short trail in the afternoon.

Friday do “The beast”.

Saturday drive to Betws-y-Coed do one of the trails there (which is best?) Then drive home knackered!

Thanks in advance!

sefton
    Free Member

we just stayed in a pod 2 minutes from Whinlatter was great

Trekster

Lakes near Ambleside or Staveley. Pop into either Biketreks or Wheelbase, get maps or yours marked and off you go 😆 They have pre-printed map sections of all the classic trails
    Or as above; Dalbeattie area for a big selection of Stanes and Drum
    Campsites at;
    Beeswing, Castle Point @ Rockcliffe, Kipford and Sandyhills
    There are diversion for various reasons on most of the Stanes just now. The situation is changing all the time so keep an eye on web sites/Facebook or just give the FC Rangers or on site shops a call for more localised info.
    If you fancy Mabie on Sat I may be around but struggling with a cold 🙄
    Planning to ride on Fri as well 🙂

rhysw
    Free Member

Hammy, Rather than riding Betws y coed try Penmachno. Its only 5 miles form Betws y coed and is really good. Well worth the extra 10 mins drive.

lardman
    Free Member

Penmachno….well worth a visit.
    The Marin trail is OK, if a little uninspiring.

Llandegla…. dull dull dull….

hammy7272
    Free Member

Rather than riding Betws y coed try Penmachno

I thought it was the same place?

hammy7272
    Free Member

Llandegla…. dull dull dull….

do you reckon head straight to Coed y Brenin and spend two full days there?

Thanks

rhysw
    Free Member

I’d travel down to Machynlleth and ride the Climax and near by Nant yr Arrian loops, both 1hr ish. Then go up to Coed y brenin for the next day followed by Penmachno for your last day
    The Marin trail in Coed y Brenin is different from the Penmachno trail

hammy7272
    Free Member

I’m travelling from Leeds, is it worth stopping at Llandegla or head straight to Coed Y Brenin? Thanks again.

(Last minute tweaks to the plan!)

Nice

heebyjeeby

Sorry slight hijack here but I was thinking of doing something similar including a ride at Drumlanrig.
    Would be interested though if anyone knows of any nice big natural rides in the area?
    I am sure the bike shed would help me out but would not mind an indication as to the scope/possibilities before I go….. 🙂
    Have a few days so open to suggestions.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Try beginning at Brechfa. Ride there, then head upto Devil’s Bridge, where you camp at Woodlands Holiday Park (very good), ride Nant-yr-Arian the same day. Camp and beer, followed by a move up north to ride Penmachno (and the Marin trail if you have time.) Camp in B-y-C, then hit the Brenin in the morning before you head home (or Llandegla, which incidentally is far from ‘dull’). HTH!

Trekster

heebyjeeby – Member
    Sorry slight hijack here but I was thinking of doing something similar including a ride at Drumlanrig.
    Would be interested though if anyone knows of any nice big natural rides in the area?
    I am sure the bike shed would help me out but would not mind an indication as to the scope/possibilities before I go…..
    Have a few days so open to suggestions.

You need OS78 Nithsdale. Some excellent riding out of Sanquhar(or from Drum). Durrisdeer is another start point. There are the odd track not marked on the map and some that are marked can be pretty vague. Only venture into the hills if the weather is good or you are proficient with map.

heebyjeeby

Great stuff thanks Trekster 😀

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Where to go for two nights camping and trail centres’ is closed to new replies.