Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Where to go for a biking weekend?
  • neninja
    Free Member

Managed to blag a weekend away riding with a mate in a few weeks time but where to go?

We will be travelling from Co Durham so somewhere within reasonable distance from there – going on a Friday evening, back Sunday.

Our first thought was Glentress and Innerlethein.

Any other suggestions?

jedi

good choice!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

GT and innerleithan get you a lot of biking easily. Fantastic facilities.

Diane
    Free Member

Depending on your dates you might just be able to take advantage of Tweedlove – lots of things going on all week and evenings too. 😀

Details here http://www.tweedlove.com

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I’ve really enjoyed weekends over in Dumfries and Galloway at the trail centres there. There’s some really nice accommodation and it feels a bit more chilled out than Glentress. Although once you get out on the trails even Glentress doesn’t feel that busy.

Pook

I guess it depends on what kind of biking you’re after really. Co Durham gives you options…

Lakes
    Peaks
    7Stanes

What kind of riding do you want?

peachos
    Free Member

Kirroughtree & Drumlanrig or a weekend in the Lakes…

grum
    Free Member

Machynlleth is a good base IMO. There’s a few trails right there including the excellent Climachx trail, then you have Nant y Arian and Coed y Brenin pretty close by.

Glentress is a good default option too though.

neninja
    Free Member

Thanks for your ideas. I think my mate wants to do trail centre rather than natural riding. I’d have probably headed over to the Lakes otherwise (but want to avoid going to Whinlatter as I’m not a fan)

I’ll check out Kirroughtree & Drumlanrig. we’re going the weekend of the 11th June so it looks like Glentress will be rammed with the Tweedlove stuff going on.

I’d like to do some riding in Wales but bit too far for this particular occassion as we won’t be leaving until after 6pm on the Friday.

phil29
    Free Member

How about……..Lee and Crag Quarries on Saturday then up to Gisburn Forest on Sunday; great mix of riding and 2hrs home once you’ve finished on Sunday.

chakaping
    Free Member

Tell your mate you’re going to do the trail centre at Grizedale and then conveniently get lost onto the excellent bridleway network surrounding it.

StuE
    Free Member

Swaledale
    Stay here http://www.dalesmountainbiking.co.uk/dales-bike-centre/
    Loads of trails to ride and close to home

Blower
    Free Member

lakes

marco
    Free Member

inners & glentress seeing as your quite close by. you will have a blast! try and book on the uplift at inners though

stevemtb
    Free Member

GT can cope easily with Tweedlove and still have room for everyone else. Godd events there too if any fit in to your trip.

neninja
    Free Member

It’s now narrowed down to Dumfries/Galloway and the Lakes.

Ruled out the Dales as we ride there anyway as it’s pretty close.

Fancy Kirroughtree as it’s sufficiently far away that you need a couple of days to link it with somewhere else. Drumlanrig sounds really good too.

Lakes wise we both fancy trying some of the proper rides like High Street that we’ve not done. Did some of the bridleways at Grizedale aswell at Easter and they were excellent.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm decisions decisions. Thanks for all the ideas.

anto164
    Free Member

7 staines.

GT + Inners, then move west.

http://www.7stanesmountainbiking.com/Home

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

your 1st thought was bang on chief. GT & Inners all day long.

neninja
    Free Member

The concern is that the Tweedlove events will mean closed trails at GT and a lack of available accommodation.

Plus we are now going there in July.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Where to go for a biking weekend?’ is closed to new replies.