• This topic has 20 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by nixie.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Where to get obsolete parts?
  • palmer77
    Free Member

I’ve not had an MTB for about 18 months and in that time it seems that certain parts have become wholly evasive, I’m after the following for a rebuild on a 2nd hand SC nomad I’ve just got:

2×10 Shimano XT groupset with short cage rear mech
    Continental 2.4 Mountain King II Protection
    Saint brakes

wwaswas

2×10 Shimano XT groupset

https://www.actionsports.de/en/shimano-xt-785-groupset-2×10-speed-black-3843

costs more than 2×11 though.

amedias
    Free Member

groupset

If you need a whole groupset why limit yourself to a specific older one and not look at current?

If you’re hell bent on that then I’d suggest looking for the individual parts rather than a whole groupset as you might find all the constituent bits at bargain prices with a bit of diffing around.

Continental 2.4 Mountain King II Protection

If these are a particular favourite then you may have to do some digging or ringing around to see whole still has stock. Or try something newer, they might be better 😉

Saint brakes

Seem to be in stock at various online places, or try your LBS, I’m sure they can order them in for you, likewise with specific parts for your groupset, what’s available from distributors is often much wider than what’s advertised on the big online stores.

matt_outandabout

That isn’t *really* obsolete, just a faff to find.

palmer77
    Free Member

Fair point on the groupset issue. It’s currently a bit random, Shimano XT front mech, SRAM rear and SRAM shifters, Avid Brakes and SLX cranks with oval rings. Cranks are too long and I’ve never been a fan of SRAM. Avid’s aun great either. The hubs are Hope Evo II’s are these ok with 11 speed?

palmer77
    Free Member

I should also say, it’s tyres in 26” I’m after

simondbarnes

The hubs are Hope Evo II’s are these ok with 11 speed?

Yes. Shimano 11spd mtb cassettes fit on the same freehub as an 8/9/10spd one.

palmer77
    Free Member

Great

lustyd
    Free Member

They don’t make a short cage XT its medium gs and long sgs. That might help with the search 🙂

Pridds

I’m about to have a set of saints surplus to requirement if your in the market for second hand.

vincienup
    Free Member

Also worth mentioning that in Shimano 11sp land, you want Medium cage for any 1x application and Long cage for all 2x or 3x possibilities. Per Shimano anyway. Check rated T capacity if you want to deviate from that.

palmer77
    Free Member

matt_outandabout – Member
    Tyres for £11

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/continental-mountain-king-ii-26-inch-rigid-mtb-tyre/?country_code=GB&currency=GBP#pid=7355&utm_medium=cpc-UK-tablet&utm_source=google

Nice one! Do you know if they are folding, the website options are not altogether clear?

palmer77
    Free Member

Pridds – Member
    I’m about to have a set of saints surplus to requirement if your in the market for second hand.

POSTED 3 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

I’ve emailed you just now 🙂

palmer77
    Free Member

lustyd – Member
    They don’t make a short cage XT its medium gs and long sgs. That might help with the search

POSTED 3 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

vincienup – Member
    Also worth mentioning that in Shimano 11sp land, you want Medium cage for any 1x application and Long cage for all 2x or 3x possibilities. Per Shimano anyway. Check rated T capacity if you want to deviate from that.

Thanks all 🙂 It’s got 2 x 10 right now and I would prefer to retain that if possible as I’m in Spain which is quite hilly and I’m not up to speed with narrow/wide etc

matt_outandabout

Do you know if they are folding, the website options are not altogether clear?

I’m taking rigid as wire, non folding.

Shackleton

If they are that cheap they are probably the greased Teflon death tyres edition. Avoid!

joebristol

Those aren’t obsolete parts! I’m after some heavy springs for my ’98 Bomber Z1’s. Now that’s an obsolete part…..

PJay
    Free Member

It’s always worth popping something in the Wanted forum on here or just asking Singletrack folk; it’s surprising what’ll turn up.

Andy-R

palmer77 – Member
    I should also say, it’s tyres in 26” I’m after

On-One Chunky Monkeys in Trail Extreme compound – from experience, great dry, rocky condition tyres.

nixie

Joebristol, those I might have, also got some of the small springs you can use to make them slightly longer travel.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Where to get obsolete parts?’ is closed to new replies.