Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Where to get euros?
  • jools182
    Free Member

Going to Antibes next week

I’ve rented an apartment, and they are asking for a cash damage deposit

I usually just get cash out of the atm when I’m in France, but I have a limit per day

She wants €400 when I arrive so I’ll have to get it before I travel

Where’s the best place?

Must be at least 10 years since I’ve changed any holiday money

Pyro

If you’ve a Nectar card, Sainsbury do a pretty good rate as long as you’ve pre-ordered and paid by Debit, not Credit card. Best I could find a few weeks back.

falkirk-mark

Post office

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Look what’s on in the local high street, the money shop, post office, the usual travel agents etc. Amex, banks, and so on

Whatever you do, don’t change your cash at the airport.

Pyro

Try and pre-book before going high street/post office – you’ll get a way better rate!

jota180
    Free Member

Pre book with Thomas Cook and collect the same day

Last week it was 1.23 Vs 1.14 walk in at the PO

paladin

Yep, I walked into post office and they offered me 1.18 I think.
    Went home and ordered online to collect from same place for 1.21

mikey74
    Free Member

Travelex are generally far better than Thomas Cook. Plus, you can arrange to pick them up at the airport.

Greybeard
    Free Member

If they’ll accept a bank transfer, set up an account with currencyfair.com, transfer sterling into it, convert to euros, pay into her bank. You get mid-market rate as it’s peer to peer and they only take miniscule commission something like 0.3% and then 3euros for the final bank transfer. My guess is you’d save at least £30 compared to cash.

DougD

Search on money saving expert for ‘travel money’ the best I found in Edinburgh was in waverley station but you had to get some sort of voucher first. Alternatively, go round a few travel agents and barter. Work out what the fx rate and get as close as you can. Post office have always been pretty poor ime

konabunny
    Free Member

Can you not ask the bank to increase your limit?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Where to get euros?’ is closed to new replies.