Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Where to get a workbench?
  • Garry_Lager

Have a new place with a sizable cellar, so thinking of setting stuff up down there. Has anyone had good luck picking up an old workbench from somewhere or other? Looking for ideas on where to look to try and get one.

Decent link here on making one yourself, which I don’t really fancy but could do if it came down to it:

http://artofmanliness.com/2012/04/04/how-to-make-a-work-bench/

Anyone gone down this route – I’ve seen more manly looking workbenches tbh.

bash
    Free Member

I’ve got two sleepers bolted together, sturdy as anything, easy to ‘make’. Dads has lasted him about 20years or so!

andyl
    Free Member

Try machine mart or Costco did have a very nice workbench/trolley with high back (for tool board etc) for quite a reasonable price. Other tool places might have them too (eg FFX tools, axminster…)

but often the cheapest way is make one. Get down a proper timber yard and even consider a cheap worktop (eg ikea) for the top. There was a thread recently with people showing off their DIY efforts.

This is the Costco one:

mentioned here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10366123/anchors_10367337/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#10367337

carlphillips
    Free Member

2×2 frame old spare bit of kitchen worktop for the main part….looks ok does the job nicely..

cheap.

andyl
    Free Member

just had a look at machine mart and they do have some okay stuff for under £100. VAT off (20%) all Clarke stuff until the 19th if you sign up to the newsletter and get the discount code.

Conan257
    Free Member

Mine is from a yard which sold reclaimed wood.

3×2 frame. 19mm MDF top which I planned to “double-top” creating a replaceable layer, never got around to it.

I’ve now got a workbench at a perfect height for me, 2m long and just under 1m deep giving LOTS of room for working on stuff!

Garry_Lager

Thks all.
    That costco one looks decent but you took the wheels off surely? After a workbench for my bikes, not a trolley for my daughter’s barbie doll collection.

righog
    Free Member

I made this one, out of an old Ikea shelving unit, some floorboards and some 4×2.

There was similar thread on this topic recently

workbench thread

andyl
    Free Member

3×2 for the legs at least and a sacrificial top are musts and make the base as stiff as you can. Make one as big as you want.

mattythemod
    Free Member

e bay work bench Not sure how good this will be …

vdubber67
    Free Member

If you’re anywhere near notts I have a very solid workbench meal frame you can have. Would need a van, or cut up and bolt back together though! RtedgeAThotmail.com

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Ikea kitchen worktop and some 3×3, or the kitchen cupboard skins.
    Works a treat, costs about £30 – especially if you pick one up from the bargain corner.

ourmaninthenorth

Posting from phone, so can’t easily paste stuff from flickr.

I built one in my cellar – even buying new wood from B+Q (expensive!), it was still less that 50 quid. 7ft long. Search my threads – you’ll find the pics/link in there somewhere.

Build one!

br
    Free Member

I’ve two benches, but this is my most used. Just a big empty surface on a serious strong frame.

The top use to have shorter legs attached, and is dated 1910, originally it was a battery table from a generator room.

project
    Free Member

Garry lager if youre around the chesater or liverpool area i will come round and build you a bench.

Garry_Lager

project – Member

Garry lager if youre around the chesater or liverpool area i will come round and build you a bench. Thks project – I’m S Manchester so maybe a bit out of range. My diy skills are wretched but I reckon I may have it in me to craft a workbench – some great benches on display here for inspiration.

Garry_Lager

Bump for this one as I have knocked up the workbench on some ikea units and a length of old worktop – very passable it is too. Any tips for what can be used as a tool board to hang up the back of it?

There’s some good threads on mtbreview (e.g. this one) on workbenches and a lot of them are using pegboard. Is that something that’s easy to get hold of here – don’t recall seeing it in the big DIY stores?
    Looks quite neat, but I guess a big mdf board and some nails would do the job?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Where to get a workbench?’ is closed to new replies.