• This topic has 19 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Keef.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Where to get a free bike?
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

Basically i would like a bike free or as near to free as possible purely to go to the local shop (3 miles each way)

Where does one find such a thing?
    must be large!

jedi

council dump

jam-bo

Bristol.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Local canal

Skip

MrSparkle

Any town centre. If you’ve got bolt croppers…

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Take a stroll into town one afternoon with bolt croppers. There are loads left lying abandoned, or at least not properly secured

loddrik
    Free Member

The tip will always have a few, or get one for a tenner or so from a car boot sale.

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

The bike racks under my building, other bloody residents buy £75 internet bikes, chain them up and then abandon them, shocking waste of low grade steel.

But the tip is the more practical option, surprising how many half decent hack bikes get discarded there, if you have a local council recycling centre they may also have some in better nick

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

There’s a site called freebay or something like that, it’s a website where people advertise stuff they want to get rid of, but don’t want any money (or it’s worthless), you’re usually expected to collect, of course. I don’t know the details about the website, but a guy I know in Harrogate got a free bike, via the website, off some yank who was returning home to the states after working at Menwith Hill. I then blagged the bike off him and now have a lovely old Imported US cruiser bike.

Esme
    Free Member

Definitely NOT my local tip (sorry, Recycling Facility) – “More than me job’s worth”

To be fair, they do have a contract with another company to collect all the bikes, for restoration and export.

andyl
    Free Member

Bristol University regularly ‘unlocks’ abandoned bikes and take them to a recycling centre. Often see nice ones being taken away 🙁

Look out for a bike recycling centre and see what they have in.

Also look at the Police Bumblebee auctions in your area and put an advert on Freecycle.

MrSparkle

BANana – d’yer mean Freecycle?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

probably

z1ppy

indeed check your local freecycle website/email, but if your is anything like my local one, there always some-one needing one… so doubt there many left about…

Keef
    Free Member

how large ? and where are you ?

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Rob I have one you can have it’s an Apollo I think

jonnyrobertson

Picked up a 1989 Kona Fire Mountain from my local “recycling centre” for a fiver. Was well chuffed with that.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

xc keith – i am a shade over 6ft

James – any details? road/mtb? size etc? I could collect sometime in the next few weeks?

Keef
    Free Member

rr,I have something,it is a SS ridgid mtb,cheapo steel frame,1″ steerer,does the job.
    it was given to me with certain conditions,one being I passed it on when no longer needed,the other being a financial contribution to an good mtb cause.
    So if you wanted it,i would expect the same. if this is ok,then you’d be welcome to it.

Keef
    Free Member

w.mids area btw.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Where to get a free bike?’ is closed to new replies.