Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Where to get a dog from?
  • dannybgoode

We’re building up to getting another hound and I’m interested in seeing what genuine mutts ate out there-you know likebana Eddie Izzard’s Lion x Whippet.

Trouble is everywhere I look people want ££££ because they got some collie, poodle, Staffie, daschund cross ie a genuine mutt but because it once about 25 generations ago was pedigree the sellers now want £500 for.

So, where to source a genuine pedigree mutt. Of course I don’t mind paying something but a few years ago such a beast would set you back £100 or so.

mikey74
    Free Member

Rescue centre near you.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

https://www.dogstrust.org.uk/

Unless you are after a specific breed, get a rescue. Plenty of awesome Heinz 57 types looking for love.

Rockape63
    Free Member

I bought a lab springer cross from working stock 200 miles away. Wonderful dog and cut price. If you want pedigree you face possible breeding issues and ££££’s

minley1
    Free Member
    andyl
    Free Member

why do you want a pedigree? Mongrels are generally a lot more robust and remember cross breeds are designer accidents that people make up silly names for and try to charge 90% of what a proper pedigree is.

Rescue centre or look for a well regarded breed specific rescue. eg the NWESSR for springer spaniels.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Please, please don’t support backyard breeders – get a rescue dog and save a life.

Merak

^this, don’t get a pup, it’s a really noble thing to do.

Pics obvz

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Another vote for Dogs Trust.
    Lovely people who know, care and understand about the welfare of dogs.

dannybgoode

I don’t want a pedigree! Just that these days with pooacocks and shit shithounds etc everyone thinks that just because their dog dog knocked up by another dog that has 1/4 King Charles Staffie in it the puppies are worth £500.

Will check out rescues but my wife is a little nervous of a rescue as we have a 4 yo. Possibly unfounded but hey.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Got a rescue here (had from pup approx 6 weeks old) a westie Scottie cross. Lovely little dog very loyal, very calm and easy to train. Saw some for sale for £600 under the name ‘huggie bear’ all mixes now seem to have a designer name and are bought as some kind of status symbol. Go to the rescue centres and have a look, they won’t pair you with an unsuitable dog.

When I was looking at breeds I was told all kind of bullshit stories, I could get £1500 for this dog in London, this dogs dad was in crufts etc etc. You just want a nice dog to share your life with.

mattbee

Rescue. They are quite keen that the dog doesn’t go back to them to be rehomed again, so they will work with you to ensure that you get the right one for you (inasmuch as they can).
    Far too many dogs in rescue kennels, strongly suggest you at least investigate the option before going down the route of paying too much money to a puppy farmer or backyard breeder.

orangespyderman

Rescues, in my experience, often turn out to be the nicest dogs in the world, because a lot have seen “the other side” – had a couple of fantastic such dogs. (One called Fred, who we were warned didn’t like men, and especially not men with hats on, turned out to be one of the softest, obedient, faithful and downright adorable dogs I’ve ever come across). Also as mentioned, mongrels tend to be more robust and usually brighter than their inbred counterparts. So yeah, Dogs Trust or other reputable rehoming people, talk to them, explain you have a young daughter and they’ll see you right.

RichT

Ours is from Battersea. They are very good at matching dogs to owners and very honest about the dogs they have to ensure a successful rehoming.

onehundredthidiot

Rescue, mine is from sspca. Pure bred mongrel. Took him a few weeks to trust me now spends his time sleeping on my feet or chasing (the idea of) hares and deer when we’re out with the bike.

keefmac

We have two from dogs trust. They will tell you if the dog is suitable for your home I.e does not like small children or other dogs and to the degree that they are housetrained. Our two are lovely.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Yep, rescue every time. The vast majority of dogs in rescue are there through no fault of their own. Don’t believe the media hype either, a staffie, or staffie cross are very people focused dogs. Your 4 year old couldn’t want for a more faithful best friend.

stewartc
    Free Member

Rescue center first or I used this site a few weeks back while in the Uk, http://www.pets4homes.co.uk/, to get my mum a new pet.
    She was specific on wanting a Bichon Frise and I managed to find a 4 month old puppy within a hours drive that was not from a breeder but a family who was sadly having to sell due to work circumstances.
    My mum had previously taken on a rescues dog before, lovely mongrel who had a great life with her until she passed away from old age a year back.

bubs
    headfirst
    Free Member

Don’t get a designer dog, you already seem to be aware of the issues surrounding them, ie. dog farms and lack of regulation and monitoring of conditions.
    Watch the series Rescue dog to Super Dog on Channel 4 catch up that’s just been on, it’s great and will inspire you to get a rescue dog!

loddrik
    Free Member

I’m on the hunt for a Lakeland Terrier. All the ones on pets 4 homes are fell terriers, they’re called Lakelands but they’re just basically terriers from working stock. Probably too feisty to have as a family pet, plus they don’t really look like a typical Lakeland terrier. It seems the only way I can get a proper KC Reg Lakeland pup has been to contact some of the authorised breeders list on the Kennel Club website. I haven’t seen any genuine Lakelands advertised anywhere within a 4 hour drive of me.

But boy do you need to pay a premium it would seem, although there seem to be some available.

Can’t get a rescue dog either as we are quite specific in the breed we want plus I have two young kids and three cats.

People who are paying stupid prices for a ‘jackawawa’, ‘puggle’, ‘yorkiepoo’ etc etc are utterly insane.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Where to get a dog from?’ is closed to new replies.