Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Where to get 3D printing done?
  • Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Have inherited some watercolour paints and looking to make a small field set. Somewhat miraculously discovered a 3D file that (hopefully) does what I want it to.

Thing is I’m as au-fait with 3D print as I am with knitting or some other witchcraft/wizardry. Total numpty.

Should I be looking at price, grades of plastic (?), local, online? If it works there’s a possibility of repeat orders so I suppose a balance of price and quality as in everything. Or is it all much of a muchness?

Any advice appreciated cheers

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Wrong forum. Sorry mods

Poopscoop

Wrong forum or not you got me looking at 3D printer on Amazon.

I so *NEED* One!

thepodge
    Free Member

I have 2 sat on my desk but Google 3D Hubs, you’ll find someone local who you can speak to and will know what is best.

Northwind

You could literally just look up 3d printing services- they should be able to tell you suitable plastics, make sure they know it’s to be waterproof! The plastic is waterproof but that doesn’t mean the structure will be. I think most folks would do it in ABS and acetone it to seal if need be.

(I would offer but I’m not that good!)

TBH it doesn’t really strike me as a 3D printing job, unless you want something really specific that you can’t find on the shelf.

Poopscoop – Member

Wrong forum or not you got me looking at 3D printer on Amazon.

I so *NEED* One!

I’ve had mine for a few months. I spend most of my time with it either printing out more printer parts, or swearing at it, pretty rare that I get a part I’m totally happy with. It is cool though.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

[/uote]TBH it doesn’t really strike me as a 3D printing job[/quote]

😳 See, when I said I was a numpty I wasn’t joking!

It’s an STL file printed on an ABS (?) machine and looks like this:

Northwind

Yeah, see, you could easily print that, but (I’m guessing it’s about 150mm x 100mm or something) it’s a fair amount of material and time (both cost you money) And you can buy a paint mixing tray for £2 on ebay.

3d printed products are good for uniques, or really small product lines (I’m hoping to get mine up to cottage-industry quality and produce some small niche stuff) but for anything like this, it becomes an interesting project rather than a good commercial option. If you wanted something totally unique- a tray molded to the exact shape of your leg, or something, I don’t know- then it could still make sense.

Milkie
    Free Member

Goto: https://www.3dhubs.com/

Upload the STL, select material and then it will show you a list of places locally that can print it.

Just buy a 3D printer and get on with it. 😉

stevied
    Free Member

I could make you one of those ^ on the CNC..

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

STW wins again! Thnks all.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Where to get 3D printing done?’ is closed to new replies.