Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Where to find Kilkenny beer (or Smithwicks) in UK?
  • kevin1911

Do any of the resident beer aficionado’s know if Kilkenny beer is available anywhere in the UK – either on draft or in cans/bottles.

Used to be my favourite tipple until it seemed to just disappear around 1999.

Alternatively, what about Smithwicks?

K

disco_stu
    Free Member

I think my local O’neils does Smithwicks on draught ( though I haven’t been in there since the 6 nations )

kevin1911

Where’s your local?

GlitterGary
    Free Member

O’neills are all over England, I think my local one in Manchester also sells it, but I’ve not been in for a while Kevin.

disco_stu
    Free Member

My local Oneils is in Moseley, Birmingham but as GlitterGary says they are all over the place

bigyinn
    Free Member

Hmmm, bland innocuous bitter, don’t most pubs have at least one of these??

kevin1911

I’d say it’s anything but bland. Don’t even think it’s a bitter. It’s an irish cream ale. I really like it – or at least I did back in the day – but I can’t stand the likes of John Smiths which I’d class as bitter.

I also used to enjoy a pint of Caffreys, but I tried that again a few weeks ago and it tasted very bland – it seems to have lost the creamy smooth texture it used to have.

I’m in Scotland, so will find an O’neill’s – not sure they all have the same beers on offer though…

jontydewolfe
    Free Member

i assumed killkenny was a rank marketing exercise by guinness back in the day, didn’t realise it still existed

bigyinn
    Free Member

John Smiths which I’d class as shbitter

FTFY

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Kilkenny

You bastards!

whyter

Smithwicks is great stuff.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Smithwicks as brewed in Ireland isn’t too bad actually – it’s not a patch on real ales here though. It’s brewed in Kilkenny itself and yes, Kilkenny (the ale) was a marketing thing by Guiness back when nitro-keg beers were all the rage – remember when Caffreys was popular? It tasted nothing like Smithwicks.

I’ve never seen Smithwicks for sale here (I’m sure someone has it though).

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Its beer for people who don’t like beer.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yes, of course it is. Straight from the Big Book of Bollocks.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Big Beery Book of Bollocks?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Where to find Kilkenny beer (or Smithwicks) in UK?’ is closed to new replies.