Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • where to emigrate?
  • chris_db
    Free Member

Australia, if you don’t mind spiders the size of dinner plates.

molgrips
    Free Member

Whatever you do don’t come back to the hole that is the uk. Nearly April and its -4 outside and not looking like getting any warmer over the next few weeks.

I dunno if you have memory problems, but this is absolutely freak weather. The UK has a pretty short winter. If you want to know what a long one looks like try Canada 🙂

Not got that many other suggestions for you. France could be a good shout though. Easy to move there, plenty of dry sunny spots, excellent biking, not Spain, reasonable economy. Or maybe Poland.

I’d suggest Scandinavia, but the summers there are pretty short.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Whatever you do don’t come back to the hole that is the uk. Nearly April and its -4 outside and not looking like getting any warmer over the next few weeks.

Don’t pick a country just on the weather. Also if that is the biggest problem in the UK then it seems a lot better than last year when I left.

SaxonRider

epicyclo – Member

Australia, mate. Paradise on earth.

I’ve heard that, but I can’t help thinking that paradise would be spoiled by being surrounded by Australians.

😉

grum
    Free Member

Whatever you do don’t come back to the hole that is the uk..

Meh, this is a great country, only really spoiled by moaning miserable bastards going on about how rubbish it is.

Better weather would be nice but in general this is a great place to live – we are all very lucky.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Meh, this is a great country, only really spoiled by moaning miserable bastards going on about how rubbish it is.

I miss
    the free healthcare
    Plentiful water
    Lack of major Fire related disaster
    Access laws
    Proper beer
    Chance of decent snow
    Quality TV
    Good Pubs

I don’t miss the miserable whinging people, you get them all over the world

epicyclo

SaxonRider – Member
    “epicyclo – Member
    Australia, mate. Paradise on earth.”

I’ve heard that, but I can’t help thinking that paradise would be spoiled by being surrounded by Australians.

They’re only obnoxious because of the Pom invasion taking all their jobs and women… 🙂

alpin
    Free Member

Currently in Munich which is certainty pleasant enough (always scores highly in living standard tables), and I can and do snowboard, but due to work and the fact I don’t like going when all the kiddies are there AND I find it a little boring after half a day (and the excessive cost) I don’t go that often (twice this winter).

I’m a chippy, so finding work isn’t generally a problem and Oz,NZ and Canada want trades people.

Oh, and Mike Smith +1. The UK is a great place and I’d happily move back if the weather wasn’t so dismal.

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

I love to go back to the uk. It’s been 7 years since i properly lived there, yet still love to go back. In Innsbruck, the weather is great. But like others said our winter this year went from December till 2 weeks ago but yday decided to snow again. Lol

It’s nice but u can’t beat that “home” feel.

Spring, summer. Autumn is great weather.
    Innsbruck it’s self is expensive but if you look towards Graz, it’s 1/4 of the price and close to neighbouring countries to go explore…

alpin
    Free Member

I almost moved to Innsbruck a few years ago and then the GF found a job on Munich.
    Better location for riding and skiing. Aa it is now I’ve got a 40min train ride to get to the better/higher trails.

HansRey

in Finland and i miss being able to ride bikes all through the year. You can do that in the UK 🙁 People do go for snowrides over here, but only 1-2 hours before the chills set in.

Don’t come to Finland. Move to Italy or Greece or France or Oz or North Island New Zealand.

ratherbeintobago

I’m sure there was a thread on here the other day extolling the virtues of Johannesburg as a place to live.

zippykona

My friends moved to Malta. Very English and very sunny.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Johannesburg

Plenty of people in our office say it’s brilliant, 30min of rain every day like clockwork at 4pm, the rest of the time is sunshine.

Jamaica?

no, she’s going with him of her own accord

phinbob

I’m enjoying my time in the East Bay of San Francisco.

The weather is pretty good and I have decent riding 5 minutes from home.

Not sure I could live here permanently but that is not an area thing, more of a whole US thing.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’d go French Alps or northen Italy. Though the whole Euro shambles would put me off right now.

grum
    Free Member

Somewhere near the south of france not too far from the Pyrenees would probably get my vote. Great weather but still near mountains for boarding and skiing, not too far from the coast either.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I know you said you don’t want to live where there is a lot of snow but in your position I would seriously be thinking about living somewhere like Morzine. Most of the houses and hotels are made of wood, it used to be a logging town, so I would imagine that there would be a reasonable amount of work for a chippie.

molgrips
    Free Member

in Finland and i miss being able to ride bikes all through the year.

I didn’t miss it, as when I wasn’t riding I was skiing which is also brilliant 🙂 I’d rather XC ski than slog through muddy bike trails. Which there weren’t many of in Finland incidentally even with the snow melt.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Aarrrggghh!
    You live in Munich.
    You’re a short hop by car from Garda and the best riding for miles around.
    You’re a couple of hours from some damn good ski resorts.
    You have decent beer and fantastic food everywhere around you.
    Do you want to swap?

I was lucky enough to do a 3 year stint in Munich with work but I’ve been back in the UK for about 10 years now and not one of those years has passed without at least one of the family saying “I wish we were back in Munich”
    My youngest lived in the UK for her first 2 years, then Munich for 3 years; etc. Right up to the age of about 10 she would occasionally ask “Will we be going home one day?”

You don’t know when you’ve got it good!

molgrips
    Free Member

You’re a short hop by car from Garda

There’s actually naff all biking near Munich, personally I find it quite depressing to have to spend an hour in a car to get to the trails.

Why live NEAR good stuff when you could live IN good stuff? I lived in Munich for 6 months, didn’t have that great of a time… I was damn glad to be home.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I think I just dropped into the German mindset Molgrips, in that it never felt much hassle to jump in the car and do a few hundred miles for a weekend’s fun.
    Sorry to hear you didn’t enjoy it 🙁

molgrips
    Free Member

We spent a lot of time in the car going here and there. Having a toddler and pregnant wife meant that I could only get out for short rides, so I only managed 2 day out bike rides the whole time I was there – thanks to Alpin for guiding me 🙂 Here in Cardiff I can jump on my bike and be in the woods within 15 or 20 mins, so a 90 min ride with plenty of singletrack is easy.

The German mindset got me down after a while too.

Edukator
    Free Member

Though the whole Euro shambles would put me off right now.

Just out of idle interest, which papers and TV channels do you rely on for info? Compare the UK economy with Europe on any objective criteria and I think you’ll find Europe is somewhat less of a shambles than the UK.

I spent 10 days in chilly, snowy Germany a couple of weeks back, Alpin. We left at minus something with snow on the ground. By Paris the temperature was positive, in Tour the sun came out (we had seen it for about half an hour in Germany), in Bordeaux a coat was no longer needed getting out of the vehicle, as we approached the Pyrenees the setting sun lit up the snow covered mountains.

aye-aye
    Free Member

Here in Cardiff I can jump on my bike and be in the woods within 15 or 20 mins, so a 90 min ride with plenty of singletrack mud is easy

LHS
    Free Member

Only one place

Colorado.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

+1 for australia .. Could have been better without australians 😛

molgrips
    Free Member

Ok so it gets muddy.. but it’s not as bad as some places down South! And with a little more pedalling the trails become a lot more rocky and durable.

But it’s riding from the door, and it’s not to be sneezed at. One thing that would stop me moving to the US, Colorado or not, is the shite access situation. Imagine only trail centres with no natural riding or exploring allowed. Ok so they are big and expansive, ok if you live near one but crap if you don’t.

busydog
    Free Member

One thing that would stop me moving to the US, Colorado or not, is the shite access situation. Imagine only trail centres with no natural riding or exploring allowed

I might be misinterpreting what you meant Molgrips, but there are hundreds upon hundreds of non-trail center riding trails in CO and surrounding mountain states. Granted, most of the skiing areas have riding trail centers tied to the ski area, but beyond those, you could ride all the “natural” trails for a lifetime and not hit them all.

molgrips
    Free Member

Afaik you can only ride on state or federal owned land, is that right? So if you are lucky enough to have loads of state or national forest nearby, then great.

Much of the country does’t have any of that though sadly… I would say that on average, your riding prospects are much better in the UK than they are in the USA.

phinbob

Access is definitely an issue over here. With nothing like the rights of way network in the UK. Having said that, if you pick where you live then there can be great riding, with access to hundreds of miles of trails.

Also where access is restricted then a little bit of judicious poaching is usually possible without causing too much trouble, unless you are in a national park.

alpin
    Free Member

You don’t know when you’ve got it good!

I do… 🙂

I like it here,a lot, bit the weather situation is dragging on a bit. I don’t have, and don’t really want a car and I’m not that keen on a for hour drive to Gardasee. Besides why go to Garda, full of poseurs on pretty, clean bikes that have only been above 1000m once and that was strapped to the back of a BMW whilst going over the Brenner when you can go to Vinschgau instead?

I’ve moved now, molgrips. Pretty much the centre of town and ironically there is more riding to ne had here than pin the outskirts. Lots of tails along the Isar when heading south.

tbh, it’s likely that I’ll be here for the next few years. I like it here; plenty of work, good friends, good beer and the riding is pretty darn good (when the snow has cleared)

gribble
    Free Member

San Francisco – only bummer is the massive rent levels. Or Oregon?

jimification
    Free Member

Only one place

Colorado.

That’s where I’d go! Boulder ideally.

busydog
    Free Member

Afaik you can only ride on state or federal owned land

For the most part, that is largely true, but there is so god-awful much of it available, especially here in the west. I have 40 miles of trails that start 150 yards from my front door and another 150 miles within 20-30 minutes or so–ranging from 6000 ft to 10,000+ ft. What I really love the most is that I can go on most of the trails statewide and, often times, except for some close-in trails on weekends, not see another person: hiker, biker or horse-rider.

Of course, it’s not that way in many states-what they call mountain biking trails we call foothills 😆

On our next trip to the UK (hopefully this summer or next and I don’t get too damn old to ride), I am going to have to make a point of renting a bike and exploring the offerings.

deserter
    Free Member

from what I’ve seen so far in Canada I wouldn’t want to be in construction, its very much make hay while the sun shines so the very short Summer would involve a lot of hours, it seems extremely competitive to me too and the rates don’t seem great either, you will have to do a red seal exam and your experience won’t count for anything so it will be a while before you get the good jobs/rates

brack
    Free Member

I’ve lived all over the world travelled extensively.

And my conclusion

It’s not about where you live
    It’s how you live where you live

brack
    Free Member

And another thing whilst I am at it…

This country’s best export ?

Unhappy people

Duffer
    Free Member

I’ve traveled all over the world, too. If visiting other countries has taught me anything, it’s how good we have it in the UK. That said, there is still quite a few places I’ve yet to visit, so i’ll keep an open mind.

As for the weather, the UK has much better weather than it has any right too, geographically. We share a line of latitude with southern Alaska, Newfoundland and Sweden…

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve moved now, molgrips. Pretty much the centre of town

A much better choice than the concrete burbs 🙂

For the most part, that is largely true, but there is so god-awful much of it available

In some places.. my wife’s from Wisconsin, in the Southern half of the state. There is NO biking at all within riding distance, one or two spots 45-60 mins away which are very small, heavily regulated, and not up to much. There’s a lot of national forest up North.

Outisde of the Western and mountain states there’s not a fat lot ime, and you do really need to drive to it.

I am going to have to make a point of renting a bike and exploring the offerings.

I’d love you show you some trails, I can even lend you a bike 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘where to emigrate?’ is closed to new replies.