Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Where to eat near to Alton towers?
  • tomhoward

As above really, a lady friend and I having a long weekend at the park (though staying in denstone, rather than in the park) and will no doubt tire of the shit food in the park (don’t get me wrong, I looove the colonels finest and am partial to the Golden Arches wares, just not 3 meals a day for 3 days…) so looking for something a little more refined for dinner.

So where’s good for posh nosh?

tomhoward

anyone?

prawny

I think(!) there’s a selection of eateries down the road in Uttoxeter, there’s probably a couple of decent local pubs up there too. But it’s a faily sparsely populated area.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’ve not tried it myself yet, but the scowl I got when I went in with wellies on to book a table suggests this might be nice http://www.duncombearms.co.uk. Ellastone is 5/10 mins drive from Alton Towers and Denstone. Let me know if it is any good

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

A friend owns The Lighthouse in Boylestone (just off the A50).

As a friend I’m clearly biased, but it’s the best food I’ve eaten in a long time. A la Carte or Tasting menu with lots of variety.

Worth a try 🙂

stilltortoise
    Free Member

But it’s a faily sparsely populated area.

Not really. There’s a lot of decent sized towns and of course Stoke-on-Trent nearby, so you’re spoilt for choice in terms of country pubs if you don’t mind driving. There’s a couple of pubs in Alton and nearby in Oakamore but I’ve little experience of them.

Have a Google for country pubs and take your pick.

prawny

Not really. There’s a lot of decent sized towns and of course Stoke-on-Trent nearby

By populated, I only include humans, so I didn’t count stoke 😛

I’m half stokeish, so I allow myself to make that joke.

freddyg
    Free Member

The pub in Denstone (The Tavern) is pretty good.

The big Farm Shop (possibly opposite your BandB) has a really nice cafe.

Also recommend the Rose and Crown at Middle Mayfield.

Depends upon how far you want to drive really. There’s loads of good pubs in the area.

tomhoward

Cheers all, lighthouse and the tavern shall be booked tomorrow!

iain1775
    Free Member

During the day the Rambers Retreat cafe at dimmingsdale (Red Road, Alton) is great
    Not sure what time they close up in the evenings but highly recommended for good home cooked food (they have an alcohol license)

wrightyson
    Free Member

Ashbourne is worth a drive to.

tomhoward

Singletrackstinker, please give much and great praise to your friend. One of the best dining experiences I’ve had in years (including Michelin star standard restaurants). Every mouthful of the 8 course taster menu was an absolute delight. Would recommend it to anyone!

The coach and horses pub that it’s behind was an ‘experience’ too… 😯

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Where to eat near to Alton towers?’ is closed to new replies.