Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Where to carry a compact camera – bike? belt?
  • nedrapier

New phone has a rubbish camera, so I’m thinking about how to take my not-that-compact LX7 out with me on the mtb when I don’t have a pack – which is most of the time.

I’ve tried it in a fuel pod type thing on the top tube behind the stem, but I started to get a bit uncomfortable with how much smacking about and shock it was taking. Constant hammering for hours can’t be good for the insides.

Maybe one of those pouch type things that hang by the side of the stem (Stem Cell, alpkit call them) so the shock’s transferred by the fabric, rather than directly up from the top tube?

Hip belt? I don’t tend to come off, but it would smart if I did fall on it. maybe keeping more on the back rather than at the side would be better?

Anyone else thought along similar lines and settled on a good compromise?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Chest mounted is similarly fine, until you crash chest first. Just bought chalk bag for the stem from Planet-X in the sale to see if it works out. Looks neat, slightly worried that it’ll just break anythign bigger than a small compact camera against the toptube in a crash.

Northwind

On my camelbak there’s a nice spot just under the padded strap, where it becomes the web strap, where I hang my camera in a zipped lowepro pouch- fits nicely under my ribs and out of the way and not very sticky-out so I don’t feel it’s a hazard to me or camera.

rOcKeTdOg

got a leather pouch from china, webbing belt off my walking trews and wear my G16 on the hip, can’t feel it’s there and it’s never come off or taken the brunt of many crashes. I don’t use a pack pack so i always carry it there

somafunk

I’ve just ordered one of these Peak designs Capture Camera Clips along with the clip to support my Sony HDR-AS200v action cam so i can wear it clipped to my hydration pack.

It gets good reviews and is very stable & secure in use, there is a slightly cheaper version that is not an all metal construction

Ahh, just seen you want something to use when not out n’ about with your hydration pack, ignore the above then.

The alpkit bags are fine but they can swing a bit, I also have the new Apidura food pouch which comes with a stabilising strap that connects to your fork crown – this design is much more stable in use than my Alpkit pouches

rOcKeTdOg

Doesn’t that leave the camera open to the elements/mud spray?
    Edit:ah go pro can, not so good for the OP’s compact?

nedrapier

Cheers all.

I think a chest mount would be just as bothersome as a backpack. Not hugely bothersome, I know, but if I can get away without wearing one, I will.

I’ve got a stem cell and a little camera bag that can go on a belt, so I guess I’ll try both and see how I go. Hadn’t thought of the stem cell/top tube interface though, I’ll check that, ta.

Alex

My TG2 looks about the same size. Hang it off the bottom of the camelback shoulder strap in a lowepro case hooked into the strap with a climbing crab. Swings a bit but I’m so used to it now and so easy to grab, shoot and stow single handedly. It’s very exposed to the elements of course but the TG is waterproof so no worries. Crashed on it loads as well. Never had an Olympus motif as a result!

molgrips
    Free Member

Camelback shoulder strap, where police put their walkie talkies.

CraigW
    Free Member

I have one of those Peak Design Capture Clips, I like it. It attaches to the rucksack strap, then the camera clips in. Easy to unclip it and take a photo.
    I usually use it with a waterproof compact (Lumix FT20), so I’m not bothered about a bit of mud or rain. I sometimes use it with my bigger Lumix G5, mostly just for easy rides in nice weather.

If not wearing a rucksack, I just put the compact camera in a back pocket on my jersey. Though it can get a bit sweaty, would want a waterproof camera for that.

Kahurangi

Since someone mentioned the Peak Designs clip – I have one – it’s great – but I’ve concluded that the UK is generally just too muddy and wet of me to use it on the bike unless it’s going to be quite dry.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Where to carry a compact camera – bike? belt?’ is closed to new replies.