Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Where to camp near Dumfries / Drumlanrig / Kirroughtree
  • jimmy

Planning a wee trip around the Western trail centres this weekend and looking for camp site recommendations. Also specifically, is it allowed to camp on the Kirroughtree site next to the car park?

Trekster

http://eat-sleep-ride.com/
    Creetown near Kirry
    Try here?

Look up the following;
    Beeswing nr Mabie and not far from Dalbeattie
    Glenearly nr Dalbeattie
    Sandyhills nr Dalbeattie and not far from Mabie
    Kipford, the “luxury” site just across the road from Dalbeattie
    Others can be found on the ukcampsites site

Kirry is only 1hr from any of these sites

NZSarah
    Free Member

We stayed here at the weekend. http://www.lochkenholidaypark.co.uk/
    It’s roughly a 40 min drive to both Drumlanrig & Kirroughtree and 20 minutes to Dalbeattie. Really nice spot.

Beeswing is also really nice – good location for Mabie/Dalbeattie.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Barnsoul Farm. Few minutes off the main road to Kirroughtree and can easily cut cross country to Dalbeattie and Mabie. Have camping shed things too…

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member
    sssimon
    Free Member

creetown was spot on for us, kirroughtree within cycling distance and pub/shop at top of road for essentials

Kit
    Free Member

jimster – I’ve camped a couple of times at Kipford and found it pretty nice, although it’s best in the summer when the gorse is out.

You could always ask my dad if you can pitch a tent in his garden (so to speak).

Trekster

more pods near Dalbeattie

Kit – Member
    jimster – I’ve camped a couple of times at Kipford and found it pretty nice, although it’s best in the summer when the gorse is out.

You could always ask my dad if you can pitch a tent in his garden (so to speak).
    I am working all weekend or you could have stayed with me 🙄

Fancy an evening Mabie ride Sat or Sun?
    Jimmy, I finish work @ 6pm and it is a 20min ride out from work.

snakebite
    Free Member

Rockcliffe was great, you can ride straight onto Dalbeattie via 1/2 mile lane.

Kit
    Free Member

Planning a wee trip around the Western trail centres this weekend

Oh yeah, I forgot to say: you’re a git, and I hate you. 😉

pixelmix
    Free Member

Jimmy – we stay at Barnsoul once a year in their wooden chalet things, and are doing that again this weekend. If you end up pitching your tent there, say hello. We’ll probably have a white van, a Land Rover and maybe a Scirocco parked outside.

falkirk-mark

I used the Pods at Dalbeattie that trekster sent a link for. They were good and the place had a metal container for bikes. Am going to Dalbeattie myself this weekend but have booked a cottage.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

+1 for Barnsoul. Nice site and nice people. The ‘camping sheds’ are very well-equipped (kettle, fridge, mattresses) and comfortable and could be worth looking at if you want something a bit nicer. We had a full week’s stay in one a couple of summers ago and found them perfectly adequate.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I was looking for somewhere earlier on in the spring but many places were shut. I just spent another night at Urr Lodge Hostel instead. I know it’s not camping but worth bearing in mind as it’s very comfy, only £15 a night and it’s near Dalbeattie.

tomaso
    Free Member

Rockcliffe is lovely but not stayed there. Spent a week last summer at Sands of Luce which is a great campsite right on a huge sandy beach – its a bit west of Kirroughtree – see map
    gooogle map luce

jimmy

Thanks folks.

Kit – close to a return yet? Shame you’re not ready this wkend 🙁

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Where to camp near Dumfries / Drumlanrig / Kirroughtree’ is closed to new replies.