• This topic has 11 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Where to buy skirting and architrave?
  • DT78
    Free Member

Any recommendations for a reputable site that sells good quality stuff?

So far worked out my skirting and door frames are lambs tongue profile but not found match for the picture rails, so ideally a site with a good choice.

I’ve looked at the top 5 hits on Google….

Final question, any potential issues with replacing original boards with mdf?

Reason I’m doing this is due to lead paint everywhere, and it probably works out quicker just to replace rather than strip and worry about the kids

somouk
    Free Member

I’ve just done similar in a place i’m working on with a mate. Had to strip the skirting, door frames and everything out.

We opted to replace with MDF skirting that was pre-primed to save a bit of time later on. The architrave and door liners are wood and special ones with strips in for the fire safety regs.

I think he used https://skirtingboardsdirect.com/contact/ when ordering.

He also ordered some stuff from Howdens who were quicker and easier to deal with.

project
    Free Member

Howdens if you are a trade account holder or know someone who is for Mdf arcs, and skirts, or magnet trade, theyll sell to anyone.

Dust extraction when cutting if using power saws

spacemonkey

I recently rebuilt some door frames / architraves using a mix of timber from Wickes. With that kind of timber I prefer to collect and inspect what I can, however, some pieces look great until unpacked and suddenly they wouldn’t meet EU regs for banana bendiness.

Successfully pinned everything – including banana bits – in place with 40mm oval nails (to minimise splitting).

Have a load of skirting and wood panelling to buy yet – may get the former from Wickes but certainly not the latter.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Even though your skirtings and architraves might be lambs tongue, that’s not going to look great as a picture/dado. The picture rail doesn’t have to match the architrave. Indeed you’ll often see a torus skirting with an ogee architrave. It’s good to try and match the skirting and architrave but picture rails and dados can be a more decorative (or intricate if you prefer) moulding.

As far as pre-primed mdf vs softwood is concerned, you have a number of considerations.

The finish of (well) prepped & painted softwood is far superior to that of painted mdf. However, softwood will take a lot more work. The quality of softwood mouldings nowadays dictates that you need to prime the back as well as the front as the grain is so open. You’ll also have to treat the knots a few times before priming (and there will be loads of knots). You can stick all the skirting boards on trestles and prime-undercoat them a few times before fixing to the wall, finishing with top coats once fitted.

Mdf is easier to fit, and can be pushed down onto the floor more easily – while softwood tends to need to be scribed (if fitting on top of timber or tiles) – mdf also easier to fit with gripfill and less mechanical fixings.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Hello deadly, you’ll be glad to hear I’m finally getting round to my skirts and archs and it’s finishing the room really nicely! Going smoothly so far, about 3/4 done.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Oh and I got from wickes, inspected in store so mainly been ok for straightness etc.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Great stuff Neil. Look forward to the pics!

DT78
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips, the picture rail isn’t lambs tongue, as far as I can tell it’s not one on the sites I’ve looked at. It’s 21mm deep, 50mm tall. From the bottom, 15mm concave curve, 10mm flat section, 25mm semi rounded. If that makes sense. Most of the replacements seem to be quoted at 70mm tall which presumably is going to lead me to having to increase the size of the channel by 2cm

Is there a particular style that fits a 1930s place? I was planning on replacing like with like, but open to making a change.

The other option is getting them chemically stripped if I can safely remove them, I plan to get the doors dipped if they are okay when I removed the ply panles

DT78
    Free Member

Oh another q you can buy pine architrave primed, for a few extra quid, does that sort a lot of the prep?

I’d rather get the best finish I can, I don’t plan on doing it again.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Classic 1930s is Ovolo I think. But yeah, picture rails could be anything.

EDIT: Not being a smart arse, but if you google “picture rail profiles” and go to image search, there are loads of suppliers there with every kind of moulding that each supplies.

DT78
    Free Member

That’s what if I’ve been doing, haven’t found it yet after a couple of hours

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Where to buy skirting and architrave?’ is closed to new replies.