Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • where to buy Silver Solder rods?
  • Stoner
    Free Member

I need to do some filling on a bumper. The chrome polishers gave me a rod to do it which Ive used on 4 or 5 smaller holes, but I have a bit of a whopper that’s going to take a whole rod or two. I’ve prepped it but need to go and buy some rods.

Where should I be looking? Local auto factors has come up with zip, and halfords only have arc rods or mig wire.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Ceeway?

Stoner
    Free Member

Im thinking more what kind of shop/”high street” branch that I can nip to on the motorbike.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Would brazing not be better?

Stoner
    Free Member

as long as it’s a filler that will take polishing & chroming (i.e. brass) then I suppose so. What’s the difference between silver solder and brazing?

Oh, and I’m using butane so nothing that needs Oxy.

I’ve managed to do some it with the silver solder so want to stick to what I know for now.

stevied
    Free Member

Local blacksmiths? There’s a couple in Malvern, might be worth a ring?

01684 569298 – Howsell Rd

01531 640508 – Bosbury

01684 573848 – Upper Chase Rd

Stoner
    Free Member

was going to try Morgans at Barnards Green.
    I’ll ring around,
    ta

marcus7
    Free Member

Any company selling welding kit (proper stuff not machine mart) will stock it dont forget flux as well also some pipe suppliers have it for steam pipes

Stoner
    Free Member

unfortunately all the welding supply shops are further afield and I havent got the time to drive that far.
    I will have to order online and wait on a delivery and do it this weekend I guess.

Nothing at the Morgan Blacksmiths either Stevie.

stevied
    Free Member
    Stoner
    Free Member

aye, but I dont have time to go to the big city, Ive got to pick the kids up from school soon 🙁

stevied
    Free Member

If you’d posted up earlier I could have got a couple delivered to work for you to collect today as we have a daily delivery from them. 😐

stevied
    Free Member

Dunno.. 😳

Stoner
    Free Member

ah, well, will order a stash and make a mess this weekend. Might need to pack the hole with a nut or the bumper’s going to be 50% silver by the end 😀

mick_r

Price difference is easy 🙂

1mm vs 1.5mm diameter is more than twice the cross section (Pi x r squared and all that)

Hence twice volume, hence twice the silver, hence twice the price…….

Brass will need a lot more heat, so less chance of distortion with silver. Silver is very “runny” so sometimes harder to build up thickness.

Stoner
    Free Member

cheers mick.
    I guessed something as much, but it didnt say 1mm on the cheaper one.

Anyway, I bought a handful as I have a fair amount to fill.
    Lets see what kind of mess I can make with it!

mick_r

It said 1mm later in the text 🙂

You probably already know but mix the flux into a paste and apply over a much bigger area – will keep everything cleaner / less heat discoloured.

When the flux goes clear, it is almost ready for silver – just needs a fairly faint reddish / orange tinge to the base metal for the correct temperature. If you get it too hot the flux will char and need cleaning off / starting again.

It will run towards the hottest bit so use that to draw it around where you want it to go.

Once cooled, a quick douse or soak in boiling water will get rid of most flux and nasties.

Stoner
    Free Member

cheers mick

AlexSimon

Another prime example of the skills/knowledge available on STW – ace!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘where to buy Silver Solder rods?’ is closed to new replies.