• This topic has 29 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by _tom_.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Where to buy reasonably priced snowboard gear?
  • _tom_
    Free Member

I’ve been signed off on all my lessons at Snozone now and I’m loving it now I’m on the main slope 🙂 I want to get my own clothes for it now then eventually my own board. What brands are considered good without being too expensive, and what are the best online retailers? I only know bikes so kinda looking for the snow alternative to wiggle, crc etc I guess.

Happy to take any suggestions for decent low to mid priced boots, jacket and trousers 🙂 I can’t see me going away any time soon so just need stuff suitable for riding the indoor snow slopes really.

GrahamS

https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/ (formerly Bargain Boards) is pretty good for cheap gear. Always worth checking out eBay etc too.

For boots though it is worth going to a proper shop and spending time trying a lot on. Nothing will kill your days like sore feet.

GrahamS

Oh and SportPursuit.com often has snow stuff too at good prices (if you are prepared to wait).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stevied
    Free Member

Not into snowboarding but Boundary Mill (several stores nationwide) tend to stock a lot of ski/board clothing and helmets etc. Don’t know anything about the quality myself etc but know a few who have used it and have been happy.

http://www.tog24.com/ski.html

TheGingerOne

The online Westbeach outlet usually has some good bargains

lunge

TK Maxx often has some good stuff at this time of year.
    Decathlon is also worth a glance.
    The Nevica stuff in Sports Direct isn’t too bad either,

danradyr1
    Free Member

TKMaxx is where I got my stuff from. Well priced imo

swavis

Westbeach stuff from SportsPursuit is a good shout.

nedrapier

What size foot are you? And where are you? I have some decent boots (Burton Driver X) a few years old but only worn for a week. 9.5 or 10, can’t remember.

Foot shape was wrong for me and I bought some others from a different brand.

cb

Outlet centres such as Cheshire Oaks. Oakley tend to do silly deals now and then – above and beyond normal putlet prices. O’Neill’s and other shops also there.

cb

Outlet centres such as Cheshire Oaks. Oakley tend to do silly deals now and then – above and beyond normal putlet prices. O’Neill’s and other shops also there.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Absolute snow is great for trying out stuff as their warehouse is well stocked – I spent pretty much a full day there this time last year figuring out what clothing/helmet/ass protection would suit me at a reasonable price.

Burton usually do a plank & bindings package – I got mine from https://www.atbshop.co.uk/ they carried the discount over to the boots & mitts I bought too. Very helpful indeed. Obvs. I was spending a few quid, but they seem genuinely into it and only likely to steer a noob towards what will actually work for them.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

If you are staying indoor for the foreseeable.

Not sure I’d bother with a jacket…. it’s not really cold in those big fridges… no wind or snow coming in side ways… and once you start shredding 🙂 … and tearing up and down like a demon you’ll be plenty hot enough (as opposed to waiting around getting lessons) … maybe a just use a cycling jacket so you have a wet proof top layer with a t-shirt underneath.

Pants on the other hand are a must as are boots (try loads on) and good gloves/mitts can’t be underestimated either.

have fun

ads678

Westbeach stuff is good and can be a decent price.

Blue tomato has shed loads of stuff and can be cheap but delivery costs.

Ekosport has good prices on hardwear.

Surfdome and as above absolute snow usually have lots of stuff.

Pretty much all the good outdoors gear makes and skate makes, do snowboard gear nowadays. Just depends how much you want to be down with the kids!!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I recommend buying your own boots first and foremost. Get the ones that fit best , don’t worry about brands . beg borrow or steal the rest , including boards.

Find out what you like then go from there . Agreed on absolute snow and blue tomato . A beginner in tk maxx gear will stick out like a sore thumb if that matters to you!!!

lunge

The point above about staying indoors is a fair one. When in a fridge I tend to ski in my old, thin salopette’s, a thick baselayer and a hoodie. Thin gloves too, no need for more than that. I’d not be buying expensive gear to wear in a fridge. I’d also not be buying a board or skis, boots maybe but nothing else.

GrahamS

boots maybe but nothing else.

Helmet!!

The rental helmets in a fridge are absolutely minging.

toby1

Indoor in MK was probably colder than I’ve had on some slopes! My last 3 trips have been bright and sunny most days, although there was a perky wind in Val Thorens.

_tom_ the beauty really is in the mountains though, life is short if you enjoy the indoors stuff then make sure you can find a way to do it outdoors.

_tom_
    Free Member

Cheers 🙂 yeah eventually I want to get into the mountains but for now I won’t be able to afford a nice holiday like that for a while. Just want to get a couple sessions a month in to keep it ticking over. Not that I’ll have any time for any of this when my incoming baby lands in the new year though 😆

nedrapier

Forget about my boots, even if you were thinking about them! Just realised they’re 7 years old. ZOMG, where does the time go etc. Still only a week used, seems stupid to bin them, but what else?

ebay with a penny + P&P reserve, I guess.

_tom_
    Free Member

9.5/10 will be a bit loose on me anyway, I’m usually a 9 and don’t fancy having any looseness/rubbing!

hammerite
    Free Member

You can get a holiday in the alps with flights for the cost of 2 x 2 hour sessions at Snozone a month for the next 4-5 months!

geoffj

tkmaxx online has some decent gear at the moment.

Earl
    Free Member

You can get a holiday in the alps with flights for the cost of 2 x 2 hour sessions at Snozone a month for the next 4-5 months!

Do you have a link to that?

russ295
    Free Member

As mentioned, boots are the most important purchase you’ll ever make.
    Spend as much money and time as needed to get the pair that fit the best. Wear one pair of socks and they need to be very snug as they’ll pack out a bit. Toes should be touching the liner when standard upright.
    I’ve been playing on single planks since 94 and have gone through a few pairs. Soloman and Nike are my preference but that’s my fit.
    You can’t go wrong with westbeach, get on their mailing list and wait till the end of season. The pants are usually £40 down from £120, along with the rest of their kit.

_tom_
    Free Member

Re the boots. I’ve found the Head rental boots very comfy tbh. My first session was an all day course and didn’t have one complaint from my feet, same as my last lesson yesterday. Was more pain in my arse from all the falling over the first day 😆 So I might just get some Head boots.

Earl
    Free Member

comfy boots – tick
    helmet/cheap pi$$pot – tick

If I was mainly riding dome then my next purchase would be a board and bindings. Unless the dome boards are any good, then a decent board that you can ride each time would make a big difference to your progress and enjoyment. And by decent I mean not shagged and with some new-ish bindings

lunge

I think my order of purchase would be:
    Boots and helmet – Hire helmets are not good, your own boots make a big difference.
    Good trousers and some waterproof gloves – Learning to board you sit down and get up a lot, these are important.
    Padded shorts and/or wrist guards – Down to personal preference but some swear by them.
    Board – Maybe it’s the skier in me but I don’t get the need to buy a board early. For learning and playing in a fridge, I think you’re much better off with a borrowed board to trash.

russ295
    Free Member

Prob with domes are you get a few turns and your at the bottom. Your head rental boots will be fine, but try a 8km top to bottom run and poor boots will have you in agony by lunchtime.
    Is it Milton Keynes you go? If yes, keep an eye out when Snowboardcoach is doing a performance day. It’s about a £100 but that’s for the full day. Great tuition!!

_tom_
    Free Member

Yeah MK. At the minute I’m happy not sinking too much cash into it but it doesn’t make sense to keep renting stuff when eventually they will add up to equal/more the cost of having my own. Do you lot rate the shop at MK for getting boots or is there somewhere else nearby I should go to try some on/getting advice? I’m in Northants so pretty central.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Where to buy reasonably priced snowboard gear?’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts